• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 1)

Of course I will start off with the Burgess 1994 Cabernet…Beautiful fruit on the nose soft silky tannins.  I think I liked this even more that the 1993! $19

Deidre... you posted this just last week. I have been checking the inventories online at least once a week. Last week I know the 94 Burgess was not showing up anywhere, and was still on the "Upcoming Chairmans Selections" list. Today I see it's no longer on the Upcoming list, and it's also not in inventory (Product Catalog Search results in nothing.) Should I conclude that this item came in less than six days ago and was subsequently all sold out?

I'm beginning to wonder if the Chairman's Selection program is intentionally engaging in a bit of excitement marketing, creating hype around sparse shipments and limited quantities. You know, people want iPods more when there aren't any available...

I like wine, but it's a bit absurd that soley because of the design of the program, we have to hover around discussion boards like this one (not that there aren't lots of other great reasons to be here...) and constantly check the PLCB site for Chairman's Selection items and stock levels at stores in the area. Instead why not just offer online pre-ordering via pawineandspirits.com? Wouldn't it make more sense to send the wine where it's already sold, then to make guesses about how much each store will sell, ship to them, and then wait and see? This is 2005, not 1950. I order everything online, and backorder things that aren't currently in stock, etc. etc etc. It's not rocket science, and the state does have a monopoly and a big fat revenue stream with which to implement information technology.

I was out of the office for a few days and just getting around to catching up on this thread…Let me see if I can sum up the gist of what’s been said and see if I can shed some light on the subject at hand.

Let’s start with the Burgess Library 94 it hasn’t hit any stores yet…someone jumped the gun and removed it from the upcoming chairman’s selection list prior to arriving in the stores.

I’ve been working with our web services team to update the way we produce the list of products that will hopefully eliminate the problem that occurred. Our web services team started with the products that are currently available in stores. This updated page will hopefully roll out later today, once 10 cases hit in any store or combination of stores the item will display in the currently available. They have started working on the upcoming page so that they will source information from different programs instead of people. This automation will eliminate as much as possible the human error factor such what occurred with the Burgess. I am as you say “just technologically incompetent” :cool: I resemble that remark in that I can come up with ideas that I know how I want them to work, I let our IT figure out how to get it to work then I leave the ‘code writing’ to the IT people…I know my limitations and it is definitely not programming!!! :huh:

Anyway back to the subjects that were brought up in my absence, inventories are updated daily on the LCB site so these are accurate as of the start of the day. The Pawineandspirits.com site is updated every 15 minutes.

The Pawineandspirits.com site, which by the way is offering FREE shipping from now through Dec 31’st., doesn’t allow for preordering. (Hint our fulfillment center gets shipments on Friday’s that is the best time to check out the site to see what is available or what's new to the site.)

I agree that pre ordering would be nice however, to create a pre ordering function on Pawineandspirits.com would require major rewrite of the software or as my IT people put it “the code”. The on-line store is one of the top sellers of the Chairman’s Selection, I have said numerous times allocations are based on sales. We get a large allocation of these wines based on previous sales this also gives us the advantage to offer these selections to areas that don’t have a specialty store near them.

I do have to agree with several other posters above that the Chairman’s Program offers the chance to try wines that I never would have tried especially at the original price. Do I agree and like all of the selections? No! Am I upset if I paid $20 instead of $60 and loved the wine based on my taste and palate? No! Everyone has a different palate and if nothing else the Chairman’s program allows people the opportunity to discuss what they like or don’t like in a particular wine. By the way anyone try the Rizzi Barbera yet???

Regards, Deidre

Far from a CS, the 02 Phelps Insignia is about to be announced as the WS wine of the year (don't hold me to it 100% but I heard it from 2 sources). PA has fair pricing on it as well as some leftover inventory and I suspect later shipments may be more costly but that is just a guess. Not that $99 is cheap now, mind you but there you have it.

FWIW.....

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

I just got an email from the LCB inviting me to a Chairman's Selection Wine Tasting and Dinner to be held on November 29th at Le Bec Fin.

Sounds pretty wonderful, great wine and really great food. Only problem is the price isn't great, $135 per person PLUS tax and tip!

With Italian seasoned meatloaf and green beans done with bacon, onion, garlic, and tomato sauce

'00 Rizzi Barbaresco: tart cherry, road tar, spices, and not overwhelming acidity. tannins are mostly resolved. This is a great food wine at $15 chairman's selection.

Best,

Mike

I just got an email from the LCB inviting me to a Chairman's Selection Wine Tasting and Dinner to be held on November 29th at Le Bec Fin.

Sounds pretty wonderful, great wine and really great food. Only problem is the price isn't great, $135 per person PLUS tax and tip!

This is actually a pretty great deal believe it or not... This is pretty much what it would cost to eat a comparable dinner at Le Bec, but then you'd feel compelled to order a decent bottle of wine, or two... which is not going to be cheap.

But at this dinner, they not only are serving what looks like an excellent menu, you basically drink for free, with matched wines for every course. This usually adds a significant premium to the meal.

I agree, it's not cheap, and I initially dismissed it as you did, but after running the numbers a bit, it started looking better! Sadly, I'm busy that day and can't make it, but I would go if I could!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I haven't visited here ( PLCB Wine Bargains Posting!) lately...had some reading to do to catch up! Posted a new topic in error, oops!

I wanted to wish everyone who posts here a happy Thanksgiving full of good food and wine! With this group I would guess that is a given!

:huh: I was curious if anyone has any tasting notes about the Hermitage which is available and has such great "ratings" and is such a great deal. If I admitted to my hubby what I paid for a few bottles he would beat me with the empty bottle. I am also curious if anyone has tasted it, if said taster could say "yeah or nay" with Turkey? If not...I'm thinking of doing some steaks tonight so we can try a bottle!

As for Mike's posting on the 16th, I hate to influence anyone's buying problems but I went by the Swede store and they were pretty well stocked in my opinion. I live up in Reading (shop in Wyomissing) but pass by both the Swede store and the Collegeville store on a fairly regular basis. I try to control the car when it steers itself into the parking lot, but sometimes it wins! The Swede store had a number of the CS's available and a couple of other good deals. If you are a Silver Oak person...they have Silver Oak '01 Alexander Valley for around $67.00/bottle. I didn't get any and I'm sure I will be kicking myself for it. Happy Hunting!

Edited by ddwinedrinker (log)

The Chairman needs to get busy. Both the Collegeville and Swede Square stores were basically depleted yesterday. Holidays are coming soon!!!!

Best,

Mike

Attempted to post a reply and ended up starting a new topic! I wished everyone who visits this post a Happy Thanksgiving...please visit that posting!

Not that I want to be seen as a bad influence on anyone's wine buying habits, but I went by the Swede store yesterday and found it amply stocked. If you are a Silver Oak person, they had a nice offering of the 01 Alexander Valley Cabernet at about $67.00 a bottle. I live out in Reading and shop at Wyomissing store, their Silver Oak was all grabbed up already!

Was curious if anyone has tried the Hermitage yet? Please provide some tasting notes if you have. Also, would the taster serve it with Turkey or better with a steak? I may do steaks tonight and enjoy it with those!

Have a wonderful holiday!

Collegeville got some reinforcements since my last post: the Rizzi barbaresco and the Newton merlots. Stopped by today at 3pm to buy some more of the Rizzi and they were out..........of almost everything in the chairman's selections. Only a couple of cases of the St Jean CC was left. Time for the Chairman to go to work again!!!

Best,

Mike

Dear Friends,

I wanted to say hello and give you an update on some positive developments at the PLCB and the Chairman's Selection wine program. I really enjoyed our dinner at RX and listened to many of your suggestions and we have been working hard to institute these changes. First, we have implemented free shipping on our e-commerce website through the end of the year and we have loaded the website with a ton of Chairman Selections. The response has been overwhelming and the website has seen unprecedented traffic. Second, we have upgraded details on both the store inventory and information on the upcoming Chairman's Selections on our website at www.lcb.state.pa.us. Third, we are in the process of implementing a system of allowing for pre-ordering of Chairman Selections. Finally, I believe you will be impressed by the magnitude and quality of Chairman's Selections that will be hitting stores in the next couple of weeks. Sales have been on fire during the last week and many of the recent Chairman Selections have been well depleted including the Newtown Epic and Le Puzzle, the Bernardus Cornelia Pinot Noir, the Rizzi Barbaresco and the Burgess 01 and 94 Cab Library selection. The good news is that there are over 40 selections that will arrive shortly that are gourgeous wines at hot, usually unbeatable prices. Some of my favorites include:

Byron IO Syrah from the magnificent 02 vintage

Margaux Second growth Chateau Lascombes from the exciting 03 vintage

Chateau Bastor Lamotagne Sauterne from the highly regarded 01 vintage

Chateau La grange Neuve from the stellar 2000 vintage

Achaval-Ferrer Quimera from Mendoza, Argentina that is stunning

Arrowood Sarahlee Syrah 01 which received a 93 rating from Parker

Inniskillin Riesling icewine which Spectator gave a 93 rating

Sena (.375's) from the Aconcagua Valley with a 91 from the Spectator

Il Colombaio di cencio Chianti Classico

Ruffino Modus 00 which is just beautiful and has strong press

Teruzzi & Pethod, Terre di Tufany from Tuscany-one of the very best Italian whites

And some re-orders of Chairman selections that have been very popular:

Sequoia Grove 01 reserve Cab, a 93 Enthusiast Cellar Collection

Freemark Abbey 00 Sycamore and Bosche

Burgess 1993 library selection .750's and magnums

I know we have a lot of work to do at the PLCB, but we're making great strides and I thank you for your positive feedback which has been most productive.

Enjoy the Holidays!!!

Thanks for the update and happy holidays to you too. If 2006 brings changes like 2005, we are all in for a good PLCB year. Keep up the good work!

Special thanks too to Deidre for everything she does for us in here as well!

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

It's probably a little cruel to rave about a long-gone Chairman's Selection, but last night Katie was kind enough to pop a bottle of that 2000 Cakebread Benchlands Cabernet that was offered a while back. I'm psyched that I still have two bottles of this on deck...

It was quite lovely on its own, but freaking transcendent with both a buffalo sirloin with apricots, prunes and Barolo sauce, and lamb chops with Calvados sauce. Those dishes were part of an excellent meal at Water Lily just across the bridge in Joisey.

Yes, that's right, we brought PA wines to Jersey, we're trying to make up for some of the Moore Brother's flow in the other direction....

So if you happen to have grabbed any of that Cab last spring, think about saving it for a piece of bison, or a nice lamb chop, we can promise you'll be happy with the combination.

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

The good news is that there are over 40 selections that will arrive shortly that are gourgeous wines at hot, usually unbeatable prices. Some of my favorites include:

<snip>

<snip>

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks once again for your regular presence here on eGullet. I can't tell you how great it is to have you around. I do have a quick question for you: In this month's Philadelphia Magazine they mention the Il Colombaio di Cencio Il Futuro Super Tuscan 2000 as one of the particularly hot Chairman's Selection wines. Just to be clear, this is a different wine from the one you mention above, correct? And to that end, is it still possible to get a couple of bottles of the Super Tuscan at all?

I dropped by our local premium store, and they said that the two times they've gotten the Il Colombaio it's been gone within a couple of hours, but they suggested checking on the PLCB site. I did, and the only Colombaio I could find was the Chianti Classico you mentioned, but even that isn't yet available for ordering. Any light you might be able to shed on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The good news is that there are over 40 selections that will arrive shortly that are gourgeous wines at hot, usually unbeatable prices. Some of my favorites include:

<snip>

<snip>

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks once again for your regular presence here on eGullet. I can't tell you how great it is to have you around. I do have a quick question for you: In this month's Philadelphia Magazine they mention the Il Colombaio di Cencio Il Futuro Super Tuscan 2000 as one of the particularly hot Chairman's Selection wines. Just to be clear, this is a different wine from the one you mention above, correct? And to that end, is it still possible to get a couple of bottles of the Super Tuscan at all?

I dropped by our local premium store, and they said that the two times they've gotten the Il Colombaio it's been gone within a couple of hours, but they suggested checking on the PLCB site. I did, and the only Colombaio I could find was the Chianti Classico you mentioned, but even that isn't yet available for ordering. Any light you might be able to shed on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The new one is a Chianti Classico from the same producer, which is a really beautiful wine. We sold 1,000 cases of the Il Colombaio De Cencio Il Futuro hours after it arrived in stores. It joins the elite grop of Chairman Selection wines like the Fisher Coach Insignia, Cakebread Benchland Select, and the Sette Ponti Oreno which sold out immediately upon arrival. It's just the nature of the program that some of the insane deals are hunted down as it creates a treasure hunt atmosphere. It's probably a good idea to check the list of upcoming selections and pre-order at the store as quite a few of the upcoming deals will move really quickly in the busy month of December.

The .375s of Sena arrived on Friday with the remainder coming this Monday and Tuesday. Two other really nice selections just arrived: the 1999 Kenwood Cabernet and the 03 Kenwood Reserve Zinfandel. Two other products which should arrive soon that have really rocking juice are the 01 Sequoia Reserve Cab (the first drop sold out really quickly) and the 03 Byron Santa Maria Pinot Noir. Keep an eye out on the website at www.pawineandspirits.com which gets a good allocation of Chairman Selections and has free shipping through the end of the year.

Thanks again for the positive feedback and all your support!

Jonathan:

Thanks for the updates! It's always nice to get the scoop straight from the head honcho! And of course now that I realize we have similar taste I always love to hear your opinions on the individual wines.

It's going to be a nice holiday season with so much good wine floating around! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Not a wine bargain, but just a great bargain is the Buffalo Trace fine Kentucky Straight Bourbon. Yowza - it's $19.99 this month! It's listed as "limited distribution" on the PLCB website. I found my bottle at 12th & Chestnut. Full listing of availability can be found HERE. I'm not certain if that will automatically update or not, so I'd call if your local store looks to be low before making the trip to go pick it up. I just had my first glass of this tonight on the rocks and it's very nice. Lots of vanilla and burnt/brown sugar flavor as well as some dessert spice in the background. Smooth as silk too. Yummy!

The Eagle Rare Single Barrel Bourbon is a listed product that's always available and is a fine bourbon at the same amazing price.

Either bottle would make a fine holiday gift for the bourbon lovers on your list. Or for yourself if (in your own humble opinion) you think you're on Santa's good side this season... :biggrin::wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

TN: IL COLOMBAIO DE CENCIO,IL FUTURO 00

I couldn't wait, so we opened one last night. Decanted 4 hours.

This wine is all plums and spice with alot of oak. This is more oak than I like so the other eleven bottles are going in the cellar in hopes that the oak integrates with a few more years.

Best,

Mike

I too bought a test bottle yesteday and let it decant for about 1.5 hours. Super dark purple, agree with oak comment, fairly tannic but I like this 40/40 combo of cab and sangiovese 20 merlot too. $80? Never would I buy this. $18 - certainly worth a try. I will buy more but perhaps only a couple.

Evan

I too couldn't wait to try the Il Futuro so we had some last night under less than optimum conditions: dinner out with 10 neighbors who all brought mediocre to bad wine and everyone wanted to try mine. I was unable to decant and don't really think this would have helped but the bottle at least had been open for a few hours.

What I did get to taste (in subpar stemware) was just an OK wine that I really hope is just not ready yet. I agree with you Evan, $80 bucks for this wine would have really pissed me off. I guess because we were all waiting so long for it to get to the stores and all the hype and all-I just had higher expectations for the wine. It seemed to me to be less tannic than you guys expereinced but certainly lots of oak present.

I am hoping as I know Mike is that the next 11 will cellar well and develop into what I hope is huge super tuscan. That said, toninght I will try another bottle with a bone in pork roast I am trying. I'll report back and see if under these much better conditions the wine notes change.

Well, an update on the Il Futuro super tuscan is in order. I decanted a bottle for about three hours over the weekend and what a difference! This wine must be properly decanted to enjoy its lush and rich mouth feel. Tasing oak and cassis along with what I thought were hints of juniper berries. Since I wasn't sure, I had to test another bottle. This is really a nicely crafted wine and I'm glad I have 9 bottles left in my cellar.

I did have help with the consumption of this wine in the form of my brother-in-law while watching the uneventful Bernard Hopkins pay per view fight.

Since I wasn't sure, I had to test another bottle. 

Thank you for your sacrifice - We all appreciate the painful, arduous tasting work you're doing on our behalf!

But seriously, that's good to know, I was surprised that this wine had seemed to receive a collective yawn from the folks on this forum.

philadining.com

Since I wasn't sure, I had to test another bottle. 

Thank you for your sacrifice - We all appreciate the painful, arduous tasting work you're doing on our behalf!

But seriously, that's good to know, I was surprised that this wine had seemed to receive a collective yawn from the folks on this forum.

Hey Jeff, it's hard work but somebody must do it, and do it on a consistent, no.. daily basis!

Really though, this wine surprised me the second time around. If you've not tried it, you should... if you can score anymore that is.

Jeff

Hoping to find the Inniskillen Riesling Niagara Peninsula, Ice Wine 2002 that shows in the upcoming Chairman's Selection list for Christmas gift. Code # is 10016. A search of that comes up with zilch. Anyone spotted this yet? The eyes of the guys at my local store seem to glaze over when I ask these questions. I do know they have no idea what they will receive till it shows up.

Maybe Deidre? Or even the Chairman his ownself?

edited for spelling, I will never forget my college freshman composition professor handing back a blue book and telling me, " Poor spelling is not a sign of low intelligence."

Edited by lancastermike (log)

Hoping to find the Inniskillen Riesling Niagara Peninsula, Ice Wine 2002 that shows in the upcoming Chairman's Selection list for Christmas gift.  Code # is 10016.  A search of that comes up with zilch. Anyone spotted this yet? 

Yes I'd like to get a heads-up, too, when this one starts shipping out.

There have been some recent minor, but very nice, modifications to the Chairman's Selection "Now in Stores" list on the PLCB website. Each sku number is now clickable to do a quick search for inventory. This is very handy! Also the "content last modified" at the bottom lets you know how current the information is (very current!)

Kudos to those responsible.