• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fat Duck 2009

A slightly pointed article from Harden's on the lack of information here: http://www.hardens.com/restaurant-news/uk-...losure-website/

They seem quite upset and I'm not sure why. Having said that, the Fat Duck website is pretty poor and could do with being a bit more informative and less artsy.

That is really disappointing treatment of customers,many, of whom are prepared to travel vast distances to dine here.

Just imagine what its like for an overseas visitor,who is not up to speed with any of this.

That said Heston needs a Max Clifford to help him out of this situation.

I really feel so sorry for the guy. If it were me I think the nearest cave,with no whisper from the outside world would have to be high on my visit list.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Unfortunate moment on Heston's Medieval Feast last night when one of the guests asked if they might catch the Black Death from the food. Obviously, this was shot ages ago and that was a throwaway reference, but it was a bit cringe in the current circumstances...

The restaurant world is very fickle, just as some of the people who frequent places like the Duck. It seems at the moment Heston can't do right for doing wrong. He's dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't.

This bloke deserves far more respect than he has been given. Some of things that have been banded about him are unbelieveable. It appears there are alot out there who have forgotten he is a three star chef who has worked his arse off and was voted the best restaurant in the world.

As I've said before, I have never dined at the Duck but I think anybody should be able to appreciate the level of sheer talent, whether they like his style or not.

I believe in years to come, it will be H.B who will ultimately be remembered for his work.

Well, thats it .

I'm in!!!!!

Spent nearly all morning trying to get through(like everybody and his brother).

Then eventually got through to the reservations line.

Then spent a farther twenty five minutes listening to Alice in Wonderland (I kid you not).

Worth it though.

No chance whatsoever on weekends or any dinner service,drat!

Gratefully accepted a lunch slot for exactly TWO months hence.

Oh happy days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@d_goodfellow1

Well, thats it .

I'm in!!!!!

Good news, for both you and The Fat Duck.

So, I assume they had three-week gap (or more?) of reservations they needed to fill (I'm assuming they stopped taking reservations during the closure). Have they already been filled up?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Im really glad for the FD that it seems extremely busy. Just goes to show the publicity hasn't been all bad.!! Dare I ask when they next had dinner availability!? Hope you enjoy.

The lady intimated there was no chance,whatsoever,(at least in the near future)of a dinner booking.

Although she was very composed,I was clearly under the impression that she was under a lot of pressure.

I was also mindful that they still had all existing bookings to honour,plus of course all the freebies to sort out.

As I can be completely flexible with my times,I told her so and that was the first date that I was offered,and I gratefully accepted.

I gave her a credit card confirmation,and she confirmed by e-mail,the booking.

As it is, weekend dining is not that important to me.The same goes for evening

I think that whenever I dine there it will be special.

So there it is. Barring any unforsean circumstances May 12 its on!!!!!!

Thanks for the good wishes.

@d_goodfellow1

Right, right. I forgot about all of those make-up meals that the restaurant has obliged itself to doing. That takes care of the gap, and then some, I imagine.

Happy eating, David.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Well, thats it .

I'm in!!!!!

Good news, for both you and The Fat Duck.

So, I assume they had three-week gap (or more?) of reservations they needed to fill (I'm assuming they stopped taking reservations during the closure). Have they already been filled up?

I can only reiterate what I've mentioned above.

No offer whatsoever came forward other than the booking that I accepted.

As it gets back to normal I may ask to be put on a cancellations list (if they do one.)

The main thing ,from my point of view,is that I am in the system

I'm sure the wait time will pass quickly.

How was your experience?

@d_goodfellow1

How was your experience?

If THIS is too long for you to read, in a nutshell: it was thought-provoking.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

The reopening is now official, effective today. Thought some of you might like to read

a very well-written update on the whole fiasco, posted today in the

Guardian`s Word of Mouth blog. Here's the link.

It even comes with an official statement from Heston, in which he says that

"Obviously we are overjoyed to be able to get back to business as normal."

Hooray.

I couldn't agree more with Tim Hayward when he says

" it will be an enormous pity if this unfortunate episode damages his reputation or holds back his efforts to push British cuisine forward."

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

How was your experience?

If THIS is too long for you to read, in a nutshell: it was thought-provoking.

Wow what a marathon,you were saving that one for a special occasion.

I had to skip some of the review ,simply because I'm not entirely certain if I want to know all of the content before I arrive.

As its nearly bedtime in blighty I shall sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

As it is ,you have opened up another avenue for me to explore,

Your very fine blog.

@d_goodfellow1

I'm a newspaperman at heart, and to spend time with the man who edited the biggest selling daily paper in Britain for ten years was bound never to be less than interesting. Plus it was intriguing to watch him be genuinely converted.

Jay

I'm a newspaperman at heart, and to spend time with the man who edited the biggest selling daily paper in Britain for ten years was bound never to be less than interesting. Plus it was intriguing to watch him be genuinely converted.

Well leaving him to the side for a moment.. tell use more about the food :)

Yes Jay we hear so little of those whose opinions we might value on that show, namely yours and Toby Young's. Yet hear so much from those undeserving loud-mouth slebs. Please address the balance, what is your expert verdict on the Tudor feast, did it live up to Fat Duck standards?