• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck Fat in a Spray Can

Norm Matthews

Host's note: this discussion began, and refers back to, the topic Air Fryers - An Irreverent Look. This rather messy split was done to allow future discussion of spray-can duck fat in a form that may be found in a search.

Speaking of stritzing with oil, I just discovered Duck Fat in a spray can.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Kerala said:

Ingredients list is hard to quite believe.

I'm baffled. In my experience (I always have home rendered duck fat (100% fat) in my kitchen. It is near solid at room temperature here in the tropics). Certainly not sprayable.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I'm baffled. In my experience (I always have home rendered duck fat (100% fat) in my kitchen. It is near solid at room temperature here in the tropics). Certainly not sprayable.

That is a mystery.  It does say do not refrigerate.  All I can think of is that whatever is added to keep it liquid is not included in the ingredients list perhaps because it isn't part of the product that you ingest.

23 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

That is a mystery.  It does say do not refrigerate.  All I can think of is that whatever is added to keep it liquid is not included in the ingredients list perhaps because it isn't part of the product that you ingest.

Or...

Fats that are more unsaturated are softer, or even liquid, at room temperature, and often have a lower smoke point and “rounder” mouthfeel. Duck and beaver fats fall into this category.

Wild Fats

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Or...

Wild Fats

but even if duck fat is liquid at room temp, it is a thick liquid - much more viscous than a veg oil is at the same temp.  While duck fat does have some unsaturated fat, there is quite a bit of saturated fat as well.  I'd find it hard to believe (or it would be ridiculously expensive) if that can held duck fat from wild ducks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

but even if duck fat is liquid at room temp, it is a thick liquid - much more viscous than a veg oil is at the same temp.  While duck fat does have some unsaturated fat, there is quite a bit of saturated fat as well.  I'd find it hard to believe (or it would be ridiculously expensive) if that can held duck fat from wild ducks.

If you’ve ever shaken your can of Duck Fat Spray and heard a thud, don’t be alarmed. Inside a can of Duck Fat Spray, there’s a bag of duck fat surrounded by clean compressed air. When you shake it and hear a thud, that’s just the bag of duck fat moving inside of the can.

https://duckfatspray.com/faqs/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?