• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Saturday....where is everyone eating?

adegiulio

I have found quite a few good restaurants thanks to eGullet. Sometimes I wonder what the impact of a good or bad review may have for a restaurant. So, tonight I'd like to see where everyone is eating, to see if in fact eGullet matters. If we get a lot of votes for the "standouts" (Rocca, Village Green, Fascino and others), we might deduce that these restaurants are gaining business from their positive feedback on eG. If the results are more spread out to less hyped places, maybe eG isn't that big of a deal. Either way, it isn't scientific, but satisfies a strange curiousity in me.

I, for one, will be home alone. Amy is away for a three day walk for breast cancer. Just me and my dogs.... :smile:

a

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Actually, Rosie may have unintentionally brought up a good point. If you don't want people to stalk you after reading about where you are eating tonight, just post tomorrow! :laugh:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

me too. :biggrin:

i think it's safe to say that egullet helps create a "buzz" for certain restaurants. it's the nature of the beast. if rosie says a place is good, i'll likely try it even if i wouldn't have before. if i say a place is good, everyone tries it. :raz:

that said, the interest that is created only lasts if the restaurant is producing. i've had several experiences where i simply thought that the restaurant did not live up to the hype. mostly in NY. and the hype seems to die down (although that's why hype do). in NJ, i think expectations are a bit lower, so i'm usually pleased with the finds from egullet, even though i may not return again and again.

we just made last minute plans with friends - looking for an italian restaurant, in the west orange area where we will be able to get into tonight. any suggestions?

Haven't been and it looks fancy but Primavera recently opened in the Grand Wilshire Hotel.

In Montclair--Corso 98, Il Forno, Fascino

Caldwell--Trattoria Fresco

Bella Rosa in East Hanover recently changed hands.

Let us know where you end up.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Thanks for the ideas Rosie - we are going to Primavera next week and I will report back. I loved it when it was small and I hope they are able to keep the quality as good. There are always a lot of cars in the lot - they seem very popular. I am going to call Corso 98 to see if they will have a table for us.

I, for one, will be home alone. Amy is away for a three day walk for breast cancer. Just me and my dogs.... :smile:

a

good for amy - the walk(she is doing the one down the hudson, right?) is an experience and for a good cause as well.

well, if you want suvir's lamb burgers you are welcome to schlep to the hinterlands. since i'm single until tomorrow night i decided to make stuff johnnybird doesn't like - hence some fresh ground lamb, greek yoghurt, a salad of cukes, red onion and tomato and silver queen corn.

i would rather stay home on a friday or saturday night than deal with the hustle and bustle of the restaurant scene. now sunday or tuesday night- especially if i have had to work are great times for me to eat out. :smile:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

a

good for amy - the walk(she is doing the one down the hudson, right?) is an experience and for a good cause as well.

well, if you want suvir's lamb burgers you are welcome to schlep to the hinterlands. since i'm single until tomorrow night i decided to make stuff johnnybird doesn't like - hence some fresh ground lamb, greek yoghurt, a salad of cukes, red onion and tomato and silver queen corn.

i would rather stay home on a friday or saturday night than deal with the hustle and bustle of the restaurant scene. now sunday or tuesday night- especially if i have had to work are great times for me to eat out. :smile:

Geez Suzi and I was gonna see if you wanted to go out for dinner :biggrin:

I want food and I want it now

For the zillionth time, we ate at Marco & Pepe's last night. They changed a bunch of stuff on the menu and had a special for the first time in memory. The special was sheppard's pie. It was an appetizer which they accomdodated me with by increasing the size by 2% to make it an entree. Really, I was still hungry afterwards! But our dishes were very good as usual. M&P is the best in JC as far as combining good food with a pleasant and casual atmosphere. But I've said all this and that's not why I'm posting.

They had a wine that was on special as a carafe. It was a Spanish red whose name I forget. It's normally $40/bottle. The "special" carafe price was $24. I should take down my accounting shingle cuz that price ain't so special. I didn't think of it until afterI we got it. The server confirmed that there was 2.5 glasses to a carafe. Considering there's 4.5 glasses to a bottle, according to my abacus, if I ordered 2.5 glasses I would have paid $22.22. So I guess the special was the privilege of not having to order a whole bottle. Phooey.

Which got me thinking about comps. I've been going there since the first week they opened (about 5 years), have been a regular and referred a bunch a people. The staff knows us as well as the owner. Not once have I been comp'd for anything. Not that I care about the money so much, but it would be nice if they showed their appreciation. There aren't too many places I'm a regular at and I wonder if this is typical or not. Anyone care to comment on comps?

Geez Suzi and I was gonna see if you wanted to go out for dinner :biggrin:

say that when you're on the same CONTINENT, tom. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I was in Washington DC for the weekend. Went to Maggiano's in the Tysons Galleria Mall. It was kind of like Johnny Carinos or Buca Di Beppo. I wanted to try B. Smiths.

Had dinner at Martini Beach in Cape May for the 4th weekend in a row. A good , strong drink, the view from the balcony overlooking Dacatur Street and the ocean, the half-moon, the Chilean SeaBass on Risotto, rhubarb-blueberry crisp, and great coffee, made for another wonderful dinner.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

... looking for an italian restaurant, in the west orange area where we will be able to get into tonight. 

What about Due Amici, on Main Street (near where Harrison Avenue meets it) in West Orange? We've been there a few times, found it to be very good, and have even been able to walk in on a Saturday night.

*Hungry* for new Music? Click the "Flavor" link, here, to satisfy every occasion and mood:

http://www.cdbaby.com/from/raymmmondo

Had dinner at Martini Beach in Cape May for the 4th weekend in a row. A good , strong drink, the view from the balcony overlooking Dacatur Street and the ocean, the half-moon, the Chilean SeaBass on Risotto, rhubarb-blueberry crisp, and great coffee, made for another wonderful dinner.

Glad you're enjoying my favorite place... :smile:

Have you tried the Balsamic glazed Scallops yet? They're divine!!!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

... looking for an italian restaurant, in the west orange area where we will be able to get into tonight. 

What about Due Amici, on Main Street (near where Harrison Avenue meets it) in West Orange? We've been there a few times, found it to be very good, and have even been able to walk in on a Saturday night.

What did you have at Due Amici? Have not heard much about this place except friends didn't like it when they first opened.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We don't particularly like Due Amici although a friend is a regular. We had dinner there twice last year and were not impressed both times.

We did have dinner at An American Fare in Maplewood on Friday night and just adored it. The food, service - everything was just terrific.