• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans in New York

Brooklyn

Are there any ideas out there about the best cajun or creole food in New York? As someone who has lived in New Orleans in the past, I certainly appreciate a deft hand with the blackening spices, but haven't come across many opportunities here in the city. Are there any special kitchens out there doing great things with this small subculture of food?

Jacques-imos in Manhattan opened a few months ago, but its gotten mixed reviews. Some people love it and some feel its not up to the standards of its New Orleans counterpart.

eGullet on Jacques-Imos

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It is strictly speaking not a Cajun or Creole place, but Mara's Homemade in the East Village has some good New Orleans-inspired cuisine on their menu.

They get extra points in my book for flying up live crawfish in season.

Fried catfish is very good, and so are the homemade shrimp-and-oyster po' boys. Inevitably, there is alligator meat on the menu, though I have not tried it. Desserts also very good.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

Jacques-imos in Manhattan opened a few months ago, but its gotten mixed reviews. Some people love it and some feel its not up to the standards of its New Orleans counterpart.

I must say I was excited when the restaurant opened, as the New Orleans branch was truly a favorite for New Orleans locals. I have been once, and so far it was the best I have had in New York- the food was great - but it doesn't match the amazing feeling you get at the place down south. The one time I went, I was pleasently suprised at the amount of food we got for a great price. The fried chicken was a real standout as well.. It sure is a long trek for someone who lives in Brooklyn Heights, though :hmmm:

I had a mixed reaction to Jacques-Imo -- considering its price level it's certainly worth a look....somethings were quite tasty...others were rather incompetently prepared or simply misconceived.

I didn't like Natchez (other than the gumbo)...and the seating is among the tightest in NYC.

Find Natchez rather unexciting, the food there has lacks spark. Mara's is okay but too salty most of the time. Never tried Jack Imos. I always maintained that if you want good gumbo in NYC, you still have to make it yourself.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Jacques-Imos kind of was disappointing. I have been there five times. Mainly to drink and listen to the music they had or still have on Sundays. I had the alligator cheese cake twice. The first time it was great, the second time it wasnt done as well. but that done poorly is still pretty good. I also had the gumbo and found it to be good. But IMO the best thing they do there is make a super bloody mary. Complete with pickled okra, pickled string beans, shrimp, and celery. Its a meal in itself.

One thing that disappointed me about Jacques-Imo's is i feel like they rushed to get it open. They have admitted to making a really limited menu, and that they were still getting the kinks out. The place really isnt that complicated. The restaurant is small, the menu is small, and yet there is a vibe that its still a work in progress. I mean they dont even have shrimp cocktail for crying out loud, but they have buckets of cooked shrimp behind the bar to place in drinks? I feel like the owners of this place really half assed it, and its rather apparent.

Can't vouch for its authenticity, but Great Jones Cafe is one of my favorite places. Great blackened catfish and sauteed kale. Good gumbos. Excellent ribs when they have them.

Regarding Jacques Imos, I appreciate all of those who have had positive things to say. We opened this restaurant quietly and did not even put a sign outside because Jacque wanted to test the NY palette for spice, etc. before really getting our name out there. There is no excuse for slow service and we have worked to improve on it. Frankly, we were all stunned andshocked by the inital amount of business, we weren't ready for it. That combined with our opening kitchen staff walking out on opening night due to the voulme of business really crimped our plans. we now think we finally have things running nicely and are once again expanding the menu to New Orleans size. For the record, Jacques New Orleans does not offer a shrimp cocktail either, it is not that we rushed our opening.

We do however now have an authentic Louisiana Oyster bars something Jacques New Orleans does not have.

Regarding the comments on the Times review, I will confirm that we were never looking for a star, in fact, we did not want any press at all and we too were shocked that Ms. Hesser underttok to write a review despite the fact that it would seem to fall under Mr. Asimov's area of expertise. We did not feel that we should be judged against fine dining establishments in NYC. We are trying to be a great neighborhood restaurant, and that's all. Fundametally that is what Jacques Imos New Orleans really is.

I speak the truth, I am Jacques partner and the owner of Jacques-Imos NYC.

Jim Goldman :smile:

Admin: this post, and those that follow, were mistakenly made by Mr. Goldman from the account of an associate. Mr. Goldman is registering for his own account, and we expect him to join us shortly with a new user name. Apologies all around for any confusion this may have caused.

Edited by slkinsey (log)

Frankly, we were all stunned andshocked by the inital amount of business, we weren't ready for it. That combined with our opening kitchen staff walking out on opening night due to the voulme of business really crimped our plans.

:shock::shock:

Wow, talk about a tough start!

We're very glad to have you here, Mr. Goldman. Continued good luck to you!

Michael aka "Pan"

Welcome swami80. Ms. Hesser just does not get it. Nothing better than a good place for a po'boy and some great music. Keep us informed of what's going on.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

We opened this restaurant quietly and did not even put a sign outside because Jacque wanted to test the NY palette for spice, etc. before really getting our name out there.

This raises an interesting question: What compromises should a "foreign" chef be willing to make to adapt his cuisine for the local palate -- as opposed to educating it?

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

As someone who loved the restaurant in New Orleans, I will continue to be a patron here in New York- regardless of what any critic says. New Orleans is such a special and magical place; I certainly appreciate the efforts to try and capture some of that feeling here in the Big Apple.

To the partner of the restaurant....

Will you be serving Louisiana Gulf oysters at the bar?

I tried GUMBO CAFE on Columbus and 107th Street a couple of weeks ago. Now, I've never been to Louisiana and so can't speak as anything even close to a connoisseur, but this was some of the blandest, most boring food I've ever had. Of spice there was little, of heat none. The place has only five tables all but stacked on top of each other, and the other diners tended to be girthsome, which made quarters cramped. But it sure was cheap!

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

• 4 months later...

Great Jones is definitely worth a visit for good cajun food and Abita beer in the city. If you'd venture out of Manhattan: Mardi Gras on Austin street in Forest Hills (Queens) was one of my favorites growing up in the Gardens nearby.

Just came back from my first trip to the Big Easy, Jacques-Imo was fantastic- everything we ordered was delicious, the portions were generous-- their cornbread was out of this world :raz: I haven't been to the one in NYC, but I'm still in awe and very impressed by his establishment in NO :biggrin:

"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." - Le Petit Prince

Visit My Webpage

Regarding Jacques Imos, There is no excuse for slow service and we have worked to improve on it. Frankly, we were all stunned and shocked by the inital amount of business, we weren't ready for it. That combined with our opening kitchen staff walking out on opening night due to the voulme of business really crimped our plans. we now think we finally have things running nicely...

We did not feel that we should be judged against fine dining establishments in NYC. We are trying to be a great neighborhood restaurant, and that's all. Fundametally that is what Jacques Imos New Orleans really is.

I speak the truth, I am Jacques partner and the owner of Jacques-Imos NYC.

Jim Goldman :smile:

firstly, its great that a real restauranteur is responding in such an honest & forthright way. not only is it greatly appreciated, but also very refreshing. therefore, i assume, constructive criticism is welcome(?)

please excuse my directness, done for brevity:

a) the service has not really improved. i have found the employees, mostly, friendly & sweet; however, they do seem, at many times, to be too casual, "AS IF" they are simply doing this as a stop-over, & treat it as such. this type of ingrained attitude expresses a lackadaisical approach & condoned by management.

b) its terribly naive to have been in the restaurant business, knowing how competitive the nyc restaurant scene is, & TO NOT HAVE ANTICIPATED a large turnout, particularly a N.O.-style restaurant with a successful parent already much beloved!! as well as NOT expecting to be reviewed & compared against others! that's just the way it is.

c) neighborhood restaurant?? for whom? the same crowd as brother jimmy's? loud, young, etc... if that's your concept of a neighborhood place, then it fits right in with all the other nondescript "neighborhood" joints lining amsterdam bet 80th - 83rd. yes, that's exactly what we need. no wonder the UWS is considered a restaurant wasteland.

d) lastly, when jacques decamped back to N.O., the quality & ambience did change dramatically. it doesn't appear that anyone with responsibility is in charge!

i don't know why, but it seems as if the casual nature of N.O. cannot be transferred, nor can a cajun-creole restaurant succeed. without constant attention & tweaking, it may be difficult to sustain. a number of well-intentioned have attempted, but all have failed. will jacques be another??

be curious as to what the next 12 mos bring for jacques-imo's nyc/uws????