• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fink's Funky Chicken and Ribs Catering

finker99

Tommy, Do you think Fink would cater a party I want to throw at our rented house down the shore at the end of September? How many people did you have? I've got some friends that are BBQ freaks. It'll also be a night I don't have to cook for all my buds.

Tommy, Do you think Fink would cater a party I want to throw at our rented house down the shore at the end of September? How many people did you have? I've got some friends that are BBQ freaks. It'll also be a night I don't have to cook for all my buds.

they'll do it only if i'm invited. :biggrin: it was for 30, even though i expected 50. and because of that NJ rain last weekend, 30 showed up. i bet fink would travel, and i bet he'll respond. but damn, yes, it's all well worth it. i love cooking for groups, but this made it *soooo* much easier. oh man, i can't say enough about catering, fink's specifically. this is the second year in a row he's totally pulled through for me, which allowed me to drink beer and wine and water without worrying about silly details or dishes or garbage.

rachel, that's the baldness setting in.

and is that a collar I see on that shirt?

wiseass. :biggrin: and i got beat with the Bananar Republic stick. no, i'm not thrilled, but i'm told it's "slimming", so i'll roll with it. (tent was rented from Danco - (973) 423-9124 - to keep the sun off the old folks, although i thought it would have to keep the rain off the only folk...but the food was dry with fink's help). i'll add that Danco has been a very good company to work with.

Edited by tommy (log)

fink and eric (sp?) blew my friends away recently. i ordered one of their standard party menus, and in rolled these two nuts with a huge grill and buckets of food. they had the whole setup up and running within minutes.

Uh, I dont recall getting an invite to this little pork soiree. :laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

what can i say. it was a family thing. i'm looking forward to the next blow-out at C46, but given my well-documented protection of my private life, you shouldn't be surprised...although now i think i have to kill fink, as he knows where i live. :shock:

Edited by tommy (log)

I'll be sure to behave in the future.

Your loss, I'm usually quite generous with the wine and beer when invited over to someone else's BBQ. :laugh:

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

generous you are. you're on the guest list to the next party. the one where i invite all of my internet friends, including ant-nee, who never seems to invite me to dinner, even though he drives 50 minutes every weekend to eat 1 minute from my house. that bastard. you bastard.

ok, i've worked it all out. :biggrin:

Edited by tommy (log)

• 5 weeks later...

HOLA!!

Tommy thanks for the positive review, can I Quote you for our web page finksfunky.net?

Everybody else.... If you don't have an excuse for a party yourself you can catch Fink's at a few public appearences coming up.

September 11th we will be cooking at the fifth annual Let It Grow benefit concert on Ackerson St in River Edge (by Feathers, off Kinderkamack Rd, park in the commuter lot across the street.) This is a great party that starts at 2 and goes on with a bunch of bands until after sundown. It is byob, coolers ok, if you want to drink, and I know in years past before I worked it I usually wound up passed out in my lawn chair long before the music ended. We will be serving pork, burgers, dogs, and some sort of chicken (Still to be decided)

September 12th THE SECOND ANNUAL E GULLET PIG ROAST AND BBQ AT BOBOLINK DAIRY

nuff said, check out it's thread

September 18th the 2004 Musicfest: Jazz & Jukes Festival. We will be selling pork, popcorn shrimp, ribs, pulled chicken and a sweet tea. The festival is in union county at nomahegan park, Springfield Ave, Cranford, NJ, and it goes on from noon until 9 pm

And October 2nd We will be handing out burgers and dogs at The Northern Valley Fire Chief's Parade.

And of course if you feel like thinking ahead you can call in an order for a quart of pork, a few racks of ribs, some chickens, etc... If you call in a couple of days out

Hope to see some of you at these events.

Fink

PS On a personal note, I have been in and out of the hospital a couple of times with diverticulitis (too many pumpkin seeds) and will be going for surgery to fix it for good (hopefuly) soon after the chief's parade. When I get out and am on the road to recovery we are planning to open our doors for limited hours to sell some of our most popular items like pork, ribs, our salad dressings and some of our sauces. So keep your eyes peeled for info, I will post it here first.

thanks again for your support

fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

my dad had a successful diverticulitis op a few years back.  as he's fond of saying they moved his "ass 6 inches closer to [my] mouth".

I believe the saying goes something like The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

In this case, it might be the reverse, but it certainly applies!!!

Fink, our good thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery! We're all looking forward to the Bobolink outing, and to the PIG. :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

PS On a personal note, I have been in and out of the hospital a couple of times with diverticulitis (too many pumpkin seeds) and will be going for surgery to fix it for good (hopefuly) soon after the chief's parade. When I get out and am on the road to recovery we are planning to open our doors for limited hours to sell some of our most popular items like pork, ribs, our salad dressings and some of our sauces. So keep your eyes peeled for info, I will post it here first.

thanks again for your support

fink

My sympathies, & good luck. I've had diverticulitis for over 20 yrs, so far have been able to control it with some meds & lotsa fiber.

Sorry I can't be at Bobolink to wish you well in person. Not to mention the pig!

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 2 months later...

Hola ALL

I am back from surgery and well on the way to recovery sans about 18 inches of intestines. I would like to thank Mrs. Fink for handling the shop during my hospital stay and all of the egulleters who have extended their support, both through the website and at the pig roast. Anywho, check out our web site for our THANKSGIVING menu, Menu Page available for pickup hot on thanksgiving or ready to heat, the day before. We also do smoked and fried turkeys year round so if you cant wait for turkey day call and order one (two days notice please) and I'll brine it and have it ready for you. All turkeys come with gravy and free carving is available for the cutlery challenged.

Fink

PS

We are looking to open up one day a week because or phone is still ringing everyday with people looking for takeout. Look for updates on this front in december and in the meantime, remember that our bbq IS available with a two day pre order and we do happy hour and monday night football at Beemer's Pub, our neighbor with a menu that goes from wraps, to bbq pork, to ribs depending on the day and most importantly, it is FREE

thanks again

Fink

Great to hear you are doing well Dave -- and looking forward to you guys opening again, even in a limited fashion.

hey,

ghostrider, Love your signature line, hitchhiker's is my favorite "trilogy", I even have a tatoo of the green guy from the cover on my arm.

excellent news on all fronts finker!!!

i've never considered going to beemer's to watch football, and i don't even know where it is. but i think i'll be looking for it in the very near future.

we'd love to see you open up for takeout again. just last night i got it in my head that i was going to swing by for a cheesesteak, but that, of course, didn't happen.

What they all said. :wink:

Seriously...glad you're doing well, and you know you have a loyal audience here, so the news about your reopening for one day a week sure does make us happy! Keep feeling better, Fink!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery, Fink. Hope you're back to 100% ASAP.

My only wish is that I'd heard of your place earlier. I had my first dine-in experience about a week before you went to the current format. Absolute marvelous BBQ.

As for anyone considering Fink's for Thanksgiving, we ordered a deep fried turkey for a bachelor party, and it had to be one of the juiciest, most succulent turkeys I've ever eaten. Truly great stuff!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

...we ordered a deep fried turkey for a bachelor party, and it had to be one of the juiciest, most succulent turkeys I've ever eaten. 

Methinks that the words bachelor party, juciest and succulent shouldn't really be in the same sentence, but you ARE talking about Fink's, so I'll let it slide this time!

:laugh:

Glad to hear you got through it all & are on the mend!

I love tea & Douglas Adams' writing, when I re-read the Guide earlier this year that line just leapt out at me.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Methinks that the words bachelor party, juciest and succulent shouldn't really be in the same sentence, but you ARE talking about Fink's, so I'll let it slide this time!

:laugh:

I'm not sure what bachelor parties YOU'VE been to, but I guess it's all a matter of where you wind up.

For example, one time I wound up in a place where I saw the juciest, most succulant piece of _____ I'd ever seen!

______ = Apple Pie. What did YOU choose to fill in the blank??? :smile:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)