• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly stupidly simple restaurant questions...

jhlurie

here in the US, most of us drive on the right hand side of the road. we also walk on the right hand side of the sidewalk (with the exception of about 10 or 20 people i run into every day), and accordingly, our escalators are set up in a similar fashion. it makes it very easy for us to remember.

why the eff are the double doors going into some kitchens all backasswards? this phenomenon can be found in most, if not all, diners, and some regular restaurants as well.

i've studied this and studied this over the years (usually at 2 in the morning all banged up at a diner), and i'm convinced, after 18 or so years of watching various waitstaff go through the left door, that i'd be knocked on my ass the first day at the job.

Edited by tommy (log)

I have a really dumb question:

When bringing your own bottle of wine into a restaurant, what is the procedure?

As in what do you carry it in? Do you tell them before hand that you are bringing it in? Does the waiter pour it? (the last is probably the dumbest question of all)

I am a complete newbie at the whole wine thing. I turned 21 last year, but have been reading Wine Spectator for three years and collecting bottles of wine (bought by others) for the past two years. I would now like to enjoy them at some of the fine restaurants we have here, but I am so clueless.

Here is another really stupid question. If I buy a bottle of wine in an establishment and don't finish it, do they cork it up and I take it home? I know it wont be that good for drinking in a couple days, but I can always cook with it or make vinegar...

I think I am in desperate need of a thread "Absurdly Simple Wine Questions (and spirits in general)"

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

I have a really dumb question:

When bringing your own bottle of wine into a restaurant, what is the procedure?

As in what do you carry it in? Do you tell them before hand that you are bringing it in?  Does the waiter pour it? (the last is probably the dumbest question of all)

I am a complete newbie at the whole wine thing.  I turned 21 last year, but have been reading Wine Spectator for three years and collecting bottles of wine (bought by others) for the past two years.  I would now like to enjoy them at some of the fine restaurants we have here, but I am so clueless.

Here is another really stupid question.  If I buy a bottle of wine in an establishment and don't finish it, do they cork it up and I take it home?  I know it wont be that good for drinking in a couple days, but I can always cook with it or make vinegar...

I think I am in desperate need of a thread "Absurdly Simple Wine Questions (and spirits in general)"

Shannon

That all depends upon where you live. I have no corkage in town and can take an already opened bottle home "in the trunk". Nearby if I also buy a bottle corkage is waived. But that's Sonoma Co. in N. Calif.. Bring it in a bag and give it to the waiter to open and pour.

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

A few questions from my ever shy, retiring self.

When, if ever, is it appropriate to ask to see/speak to the chef? Is it best to simply ask waitstaff to pass along compliments? I've seen people ask to pay compliments directly and it's all I can do to not say "leave 'em alone and let them cook for crying out loud!"

If one would like to photograph one's food, who and how should you ask?

And then a real doosy:

What's the best way to get in without a reservation?

--adoxograph

Certainly, most <$25/person places in New York don't take credit cards. I think that would be a majority or near-majority of the total number of restaurants in New York.

Michael aka "Pan"

you're right. i forgot to factor in the 1000's of pizza places and whatnot when i thought about "new york restaurants".

although a random sampling of restaurants listed in zagats as <25 didn't turn up many "no credit card" symbols.

Edited by tommy (log)

Certainly, most <$25/person places in New York don't take credit cards. I think that would be a majority or near-majority of the total number of restaurants in New York.

Are you serious? There are that many places in NYC that are that behind the times? Gee whiz, I live in a little town and everywhere takes credit cards, places that don't take them tend to go out of business within a year or so...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Are you serious?

Yep. When you're in New York: Cash; don't leave home without it! You don't have to worry about that if you're going to a more than moderately fancy place, though. The most nearly fancy place I can think of that doesn't accept credit cards is Frutti di Mare, which is c. $25/person for dinner, and the most expensive I can think of is Peter Luger, which isn't fancy but - well, anyone who wants can read about this legendary steakhouse in this thread, which is 13 pages long so far.

Michael aka "Pan"

Are you serious? There are that many places in NYC that are that behind the times? Gee whiz, I live in a little town and everywhere takes credit cards, places that don't take them tend to go out of business within a year or so...

it depends on where you're eating, i suppose. i've eaten thousands of meals in NYC over the last 18 years, at all levels, and i don't recall many places that didn't accept credit cards.

In Chinatown, Flushing, and the East Village, for example, restaurants that accept credit cards are more the exception than the rule.

Michael aka "Pan"

There are that many places in NYC that are that behind the times? Gee whiz, I live in a little town and everywhere takes credit cards, places that don't take them tend to go out of business within a year or so...

Depends on your perspective. I'd prefer to pay cash at a restaurant that accepts only cash, rather than paying cash at a restaurant that accepts credit cards and has inflated their prices accordingly to cover the service fees. To me, universal deferment to a "credit cards everywhere" standard is behind the times.

Many cash-only restaurants have a less expensive menu or higher-quality ingredients for the price you pay. I consider that smart business if the restaurant can pull that trick off, and it provides a good value for one's money.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite