• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly stupidly simple restaurant questions...

jhlurie

Third in the popular series!

see:

Absurdly stupidly simple cooking questions...

and

Absurdly stupidly simple shopping questions...

Collect all three!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First semi-dumb restaurant question:

Why do restaurants often service take-out customers before sit-in customers? Is there some proven benefit to this seeming madness, or are they just looking to piss off the people who likely are spending more money?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

May I take first crack at answering Jon's question?

In my experience -- when I was the antipasto plater at Zeppole -- it was to get those take-out folks from staring at me and muttering under their breath while they waited. The antipasto bar was right out there, where anyone coming into the place could see it. And that's where the taker-outers would wait for their stuff, breathing down my neck and trying to make conversation. The dining room was pretty well past the antipasto bar, and difficult for diners to see what was happening there. So in order to get rid of the annoyance of taker-outers, I would usually stop work on the tables and fill the t-o orders first.

I'm not saying it was right, but that's why it was.

why do the people at the drive-through speaker ask you want you want, and then you tell them, then they stop you mid-order and ask you what you just ordered, and then you're finally done and they read it back and it's all wrong, and you have to start over, and then you drive out and the wrong stuff is in the bag anyway?

just wondering.

why do the people at the drive-through speaker ask you want you want, and then you tell them, then they stop you mid-order and ask you what you just ordered, and then you're finally done and they read it back and it's all wrong, and you have to start over, and then you drive out and the wrong stuff is in the bag anyway?

just wondering.

Do drive-throughs qualify as restaurants? I think this might demand the fourth part of the series. :wink:

And aside from that, well, what the heck is a tasting menu? What's it all about, Alfie?

Why is there such an obscene markup on alcohol at restaurants? I buy a shot of Maker's Mark, and get charged like $6 or more for it, and when I figure it out by the bottle, it equates to the restaurant selling bottles of the stuff for into the hundreds, what gives?

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Why is there such an obscene markup on alcohol at restaurants? I buy a shot of Maker's Mark, and get charged like $6 or more for it, and when I figure it out by the bottle, it equates to the restaurant selling bottles of the stuff for into the hundreds, what gives?

Some motives are murky, but a pure profit motive seems clear on this one.

They know they can get away with it.

-----------------------------

Okay, new question, more of a "historical" question. How did the practice of serving bread before a restaurant meal start? I'm not sure this was ever really a common practice in most households, so how did it make the jump to an almost universal restaurant practice? Financially it makes absolutely no sense--you are filling people up with something they aren't paying for and they are likely to buy less food!

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

my question (asked by every guest i've ever had visiting from india): why do american restaurants put sooooo much ice in the drinking water? even in winter.

and is the man in the men's room in certain places really there to hand you a towel or is the restaurant worried that unwatched we might pee in the sink? and does he have to eat a sandwich while i do my business?

Financially it makes absolutely no sense--you are filling people up with something they aren't paying for and they are likely to buy less food!

i think the answer must be quite the opposite: the bread is so horrible that you can't wait to order and anything will taste good in comparison. stroke of genius.

This is a regionally specific question: Why don't you heat the bathrooms? When it's January in Wisconsin and I can see my breath in your restroom, I'm not really a happy customer.

Seriously though, why does it take me 20 minutes to cook a nice thick steak myself and yet it can be served to me perfectly done in 15 at a restaurant? I don't get the equation. Do they pre-cook them somewhat or is their grill hotter?

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Do they pre-cook them somewhat or is their grill hotter?

Actually I'm pretty sure their grills ARE hotter.

why do american restaurants put sooooo much ice in the drinking water? even in winter.

They think it saves them money?

See... the joke is that water and ice are made of the same stuff. :wink:

Actually, I think this IS half of an answer. Ice is often put in soda for that reason, even though the cost difference is pretty minimal if the soda is from a fountain.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

my question (asked by every guest i've ever had visiting from india): why do american restaurants put sooooo much ice in the drinking water? even in winter.

Although the ice takes up space, I for one am glad about the ice. I like a cold bevvy, not room-temp water.

Although the ice takes up space, I for one am glad about the ice. I like a cold bevvy, not room-temp water.

yes, but is it not possible to serve us chilled water which would be easier to drink without 5000 icecubes jostling against our teeth like something that jostles against something else? (too early in the morning for clever similes).

Do they pre-cook them somewhat or is their grill hotter?

Actually I'm pretty sure their grills ARE hotter.

Typical steakhouse grills are so much hotter than what most people have at home that it almost requires a completely different way of cooking.

why do american restaurants put sooooo much ice in the drinking water? even in winter.

They think it saves them money?

See... the joke is that water and ice are made of the same stuff. :wink:

Actually, I think this IS half of an answer. Ice is often put in soda for that reason, even though the cost difference is pretty minimal if the soda is from a fountain.

Except Winot's right, ice is more expensive than just plain water. (I'm not sure how it compares to soft-drink syrup.)

But I think this happens mainly because there's a perception that ice water tastes better than tap- or room-temperature water. The ice also deadens the chlorine aroma.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Been discussed in previous threads:

Wine Price Margins

Wine Without Food

Painfully Priced Wine Lists

World's Best Priced Wine Lists

High Prices for Wine by the Glass

BYO

There are more, actually.... this is just a start.

Yeah, but none of those threads address two other pertinent and restaurant-based issues:

1) There's a lot of food waste in the restaurant business, and plate markups cannot be large. Restaurant wine markups are high because they help offset the slim margins and losses on food.

2) Wine will not keep well once opened, like hard liquor will, and there are the occasional corked bottles to discard, so wine by the glass has a much higher markup. Even using a popular wine preservation system does not work well during operating hours because the bottle is opened and closed all the time.

Still, some restaurants really take it to the max. We have a few local restaurants that have reasonable markups on local wines, exciting by-the-glass programs, and charge no corkage fees for wines you want to bring. That's very friendly, and encourages customers to try new wines. I appreciate their support of the local wineries and so if I bring wine, I always pour some for the waitstaff and chefs, or bring a library bottle for the owner. Eh, then there are the places with the huge markups. A $40 bottle is suddenly $75. When I see our wines priced so high I first get a little flush :blush: that last for about five seconds before I think but, :unsure: who's going to try a new wine at that price?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Why is there such an obscene markup on alcohol at restaurants?  I buy a shot of Maker's Mark, and get charged like $6 or more for it, and when I figure it out by the bottle, it equates to the restaurant selling bottles of the stuff for into the hundreds, what gives?

Some motives are murky, but a pure profit motive seems clear on this one.

They know they can get away with it.

Do you mean they somehow have a way to make you order a drink?

Hey, Jon, how about a fourth in the series--Absurdly stupidly simple wine questions? I bet we could sweet-talk Carolyn into helping out with answers. If you can't post it here, why not in the wine forum? It would be nice to see more food forumites learning about wine, and frankly I think the wine forum needs a breath of fresh air. And some funny threads. And some gross threads . . .

They're so seerious! :rolleyes:

Or how about a raid on the wine forum? Ala Amazon. :laugh:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

and is the man in the men's room in certain places really there to hand you a towel or is the restaurant worried that unwatched we might pee in the sink? and does he have to eat a sandwich while i do my business?

They put sooooooo muchice in to keep it sooooooooo cold!

You can't imagine, and probably really don't want to heat about, the things people will do in restaurant rest rooms.

Do you have to pee while he eats?

Edited by srhcb (log)

Interesting. Although I was leaning more towards that hard spirits issue than wines (and hard spirits should be free of the spoilage losses mentioned above, so I guess it is just a profit thing...).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Apparently you missed this important series of posts about Restroom Attendants. One of the stranger topics to get legs around here recently.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

it wasn't peeing i was thinking about...

and brooks, i think i might have participated in that thread you linked to and mentioned this there too. this just seemed like another apposite place to ask the question.

it wasn't peeing i was thinking about...

and brooks, i think i might have participated in that thread you linked to and mentioned this there too. this just seemed like another apposite place to ask the question.

Sorry Mongo,

I should have read back through that fascinating series of posts. :hmmm: I should have known you would not have missed it. :wink::laugh:

Sadly, it ended up with me being quoted in the Wall Street Journal talking about guys working in bathrooms. My mother was so proud when the congratulatory phone calls started rolling in. :shock:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Interesting. Although I was leaning more towards that hard spirits issue than wines (and hard spirits should be free of the spoilage losses mentioned above, so I guess it is just a profit thing...).

True. Money grubbing liquor producers! :biggrin:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook