• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

smokey stock

aliwaks

after a fabulous Memorial day BBQ , at the Smoked Joint compound (see post in Philadelphia restaurant section) I was the lucky recipient of 3 smoked BBQ chicken carcasses and a big baggie full of smoked pork bones.

I now have a potful o' smokey stock, and am thinking of what to do with it. May use some for lentils, and was considering a fresh corn soup maybe with a few chipoltes and some fresh lime juoice squoozed over it...not a fan of dried bean soups at all anyone have a suggestion or two or three I have quite a of it.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I made chicken and sausage gumbo with some smoked chicken and turkey stock one time. It was really, really good. I just used the bones to make the stock. I didn't use the mahogany colored skin at all so it wasn't too smokey, but just right.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

My mom once made turkey noodle soup from a smoked carcass that turned out to be quite good. Having said that, I'd say keep simmering the stock until you have a thick, smoky, gelatinous sauce. Then freeze it in ice cube trays and use it as you need it. Add some to a gravy, add some to that roast you're braising, etc.

See eGullet's eGCI "Stocks, Unit 3" class for a couple of recipes using stock (scroll down to about the last third of the class).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thanks for the help, it cooked down pretty gelatonous-ly (don't believe that's a word) had to skim off lots of fat though.

How would that fat work in like a cornbread or something like that or should i just toss it, its kind of like extremely non kosher smoky schmaltz.

think I'm going to make a black bean soup, a garnish w. roasted corn, avocado & tomato salsa

and I have some sweet potatoes I may sautee in it with something sweet & spicy

I've used stock made from smoked turkey for mole, and it's fabulous. I'd guess that it would be good for paella too -- I used smoked paprika in one version, so it seems to me that the smoked stock would provide the same flavor profile

I will second the posole (one of various spelllings :biggrin: ). The smokiness is what makes Barbequue Posole so great.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

What?!?!? :shock: No one has yet said: cook greens in it! Collards, turnip greens, dandelions, kale -- any that you would normally add a ham hock or smoked turkey wing to. Yeah, I know this is not the kind of thing nice Jewish girls from the Northeast usually do, but oh man is that good! And if you use the fat in cornbread, as you already considered, food for the g-ds. :biggrin:

Definitely an oversight, Suzanne. Thank you for correcting the record.

Ooooo... I wish I had a big bunch of chard. And I would saute the stems in the fat.

(Am I gonna have to smoke some chicken to make some smokey stock? :blink: )

One question... What else do you put in the pot to make the stock? I have normally just used some onion and maybe a garlic head or two and a couple of bay leaves. I leave the carrots and celery out of it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

One question... What else do you put in the pot to make the stock? I have normally just used some onion and maybe a garlic head or two and a couple of bay leaves. I leave the carrots and celery out of it.

thats what I did I threw in a few garlic cloves, a couple of onions, a bay leaf, some pepper corns & celery leaves ...would have added carrots but didn't have any probably for the best.

made a fab black bean soup: added big can black bean, a pasilla pepper, chopped tomato, cilantro, more garlic, wee bit oj & some smoked paprika cooked it for awhile..had to remove the pepper after a while. It has a really nice burn.

Am going to cook some greens with it there's kale all over the place right now unless I can get some dandelion -thanks Suzanne