• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Not so random acts of kindness - restaurants etc.

phaelon56

PS: The ending ot the story is colorful and interesting, although somewhat anti-climatic.  It has nothing to do with food, and so rather than run the risk of being cited by the eG moniters again, I ended the story.

No fair! You left us all in suspense! [pouting emoticon]

Okay, I'll bang the ending out a bit later on today.

I let you know in advance that I didn't get pummeled. In fact, it turned into a moral victory of sorts.

SB (arm twisted)(but can still type)

A RANDOM ACT OF RESTAURANT STAFF KINDNESS cont.

So there I was, leaning up against the front of the pizza joint, armed with a pair of pliers and reinforced by the physically unimposing Lightning twirling the pointed spoon that Lil the waitress had provided to us for use in the impending battle against two large drunken ruffians.

The best I could hope for was that either the police would be stropping by for coffee, (the pizzeria owner's son was on the force), or that restaurant patrons who I knew would intervene before we were pummeled too badly.

Right then our fortunes took a strange turn for the better. Our adversaries turned around and set out across the street towards the town's Pool Hall. They may as well have walked right into my living room. In fact, if you only took waking hours into account, I spent far more time at the Pool Hall than at home.

My despair suddenly turned to boldness, I crossed the street with Lightning in tow. Zippy Zollar was behind the counter in the Pool Hall reading the paper. "I didn't see nobody", was his reply when we asked where the guys went, but just then I spotted them starting down the stairs to the basement.

Although I hadn't recognized them as being locals, they apparently were familiar enough with the town to know about the late night poker games in the Pool Hall basement. This was really looking too good to be true.

We went downstairs and walked around to the opposite side of the card table from where our now-turned-potential-victims were standing. My friend Polar Bear was acting as House Man, and the card players at the time, Geno, Kocko, HJ, Secundo, Johnson from Wisconsin, (whose name wasn't Johnson and wasn't from Wisconsin), and the Spagnolo Brothers were all familiar to me. I leaned over and whispered in Geno's ear for him to look at the two guys standing across the table, whisper to Kocko on his right to do the same thing, and then pass it around the table.

Before the message reached the first Spagnolo Brother the thugs were hightailing it up the stairs. By the time Lightning and I got around the table and back upstairs they were nowhere in sight. Zippy motioned up the street with a nod of his head, and when we got outside a car was already pulling away from the curb and quickly driving away.

We returned the spoon to Lil at the restaurant the next evening, and she got a good laugh from the story.

When I was in college my boyfriend lived next to an Indian Restuarant, and one of the owners sons' in the apartment next to him. We always said "hi" to him when we saw him, but we never went to his restaurant (I had no idea how great Indian food was in college).

I think it was the winter of 98, but there was a bad ice storm in Vermont. The power was out for days, and it was just horrible. One day my boyfriend and I were sitting in his apartment and there was a knock on the door. The guy who lived next door had brought us a ton of amazing Indian food because he knew that we didn't have power.

It was so generous of him. Even though we had never been to his restaurant he thought to bring us food during that ice storm! I still can't believe how great he was. Even though the weather was horrible we ended up having an incredible candle-lit Indian meal that night... sometimes not having electricity is a good thing :)

A few years ago for my Birthday my father took me out for dinner at one of the best restaurants in Kingston and had an awesome meal and a great conversation with the owner and Chef. Fast forward a year, and I got into a bad car accident, and ended up in the hospital for a few weeks. My Father drove from Toronto to Kingston to stay with me. One of the evenings he went back to the restaurant, and when the owner found out I as in the hospital, he sent my dad home with a bunch of food for free, including an insanely good chocolate cake.

After eating disgusting hospital food for a few weeks that was one of the best meals of my life.

We eat, at least 2 Saturday nights out of the month, often 3, at Brad's Place, and cool, local joint, with the best food in town. We sometimes get appetizers or a salad on the house, usually a chit-chat with Brad, and always a chat with Nicole, the waitress/dishwasher/hostess/anythingelse that needstobedone. Hubby got a hat last time we were there. I will be happy to pay extra for any service, if the staff remembers me, whether dog groomers, check-out staff, or whatever. Customer service is the name of the game.

Stop Family Violence

A few years ago for my Birthday my father took me out for dinner at one of the best restaurants in Kingston and had an awesome meal and a great conversation with the owner and Chef. Fast forward a year, and I got into a bad car accident, and ended up in the hospital for a few weeks. My Father drove from Toronto to Kingston to stay with me. One of the evenings he went back to the restaurant, and when the owner found out I as in the hospital, he sent my dad home with a bunch of food for free, including an insanely good chocolate cake.

After eating disgusting hospital food for a few weeks that was one of the best meals of my life.

Just curious, where in Kingston? I go up that way from time to time, and have always been somewhat partial to Chez Piggy myself...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Yes. My husband and I were out to eat for our 2nd wedding anniversary at a pricey little cafe on the Outer Banks. I'd been feeling funny all day, but all of a sudden, in the middle of the second course, I started vomiting. Hard. Luckily I made it to the restroom, but there was still a bit of a scene. Luckily, we were the only people in the place at the time, as it was pretty late at night. Anyway, the staff came and checked on me, made sure I wasn't dying, all that.

My husband decided maybe it was time to leave, and asked to settle up. They comped us everything. 4 expensive glasses of wine and 2 courses. This was even though I assured them that it wasn't their fault, that I had been feeling a little funny all day. I didn't tell them the real reason: I had missed a couple of pills and was going through withdrawal from a prescription medication, but I really didn't feel the need to share that, even though it would have assured them that it really, honest to God wasn't their fault. I had managed to get the meds back into my system earlier that day (left them at home and had to have my doc call in an RX to the local pharmacy), and thought I would be fine. Heck, until recently, the drug company refused to even admit that there were withdrawal symptoms at all, so I figured the funny feelings earlier in the day were all in my head. Anyway, it was bad news bears. And the restaurant was so nice about it, called to check on me later, made us new reservations for later in the week and everything.

I'm sure part of it was that they were afraid they had caused my illness, but part of it was just being nice.

Gourmet Anarchy

Just curious, where in Kingston? I go up that way from time to time, and have always been somewhat partial to Chez Piggy myself...

It was at Clark's on King, which unfortunately shut down, although I hear that Clark is now cooking somewhere else in town.

My husband decided maybe it was time to leave, and asked to settle up. They comped us everything. 4 expensive glasses of wine and 2 courses. This was even though I assured them that it wasn't their fault, that I had been feeling a little funny all day. I didn't tell them the real reason: I had missed a couple of pills and was going through withdrawal from a prescription medication, but I really didn't feel the need to share that, even though it would have assured them that it really, honest to God wasn't their fault. I had managed to get the meds back into my system earlier that day (left them at home and had to have my doc call in an RX to the local pharmacy), and thought I would be fine. Heck, until recently, the drug company refused to even admit that there were withdrawal symptoms at all, so I figured the funny feelings earlier in the day were all in my head. Anyway, it was bad news bears. And the restaurant was so nice about it, called to check on me later, made us new reservations for later in the week and everything.

See, now this is awesome, because I had the exact opposite experience at a local restaurant.

My girlfriend and I had been given a gift certificate to a pretty nice bistro in town , as a token of thanks from a friend. Being poor students we were pretty happy to be getting a good meal for a change. So we went out, and had mussels as a first course. All was well until the main course came and two bites in my girlfriend starts feeling ill. I rushed her to the bathroom, where she proceeded to be violently ill. After awhile the waitress came to check on us, and a fellow patron who was a nurse was also looking after her, as I felt a little weird standing outside the toilet in the women's washroom. We decided that she should go to the emergency room, so I went to settle up and get the car. Plus we hadn't even touched our main course. I go up and the manager asks how my girlfriend is, I tell him we're going to the hospital. He also asks how she got sick, and I said it was probably the mussels. He keeps on talking, and I finally had to just tell him to get my bill, as I really needed to go get the car and go to the hospital. The waitresses wrapped up the food, and the manageer gave me the bill. He charged us for everything! Even the Mussels! I was a little shocked but didn't argue, as I needed to get to the damn hospital.

The really stupid thing is that the manager was really good friends with my girlfriends housemate, and knew who we were, as the housemate had mad the reservations for us. The other crazy thing is that he was coming over to their place for a dinner party the NEXT NIGHT. At the party, he asked how she was, and asked if the doctor knew what made her ill, he said "probably the mussels", and he sheepishly apologized. Then never came near us the entire night. We were a little pissed off, so we kept repeating the story the entire night. Petty I know, but a little deserved.

No, she wasn't. We had eaten them before. Also she was feeling fine all day, and we had eaten the same thing for lunch. I think it was just one bad mussel. I mean I'm willing to concede that it may not have been the mussells, but that's the only thing that makes sense.

at a wedding a couple of years ago at the grand floridian in disneyworld, one of the banquet waiters noticed i wasnt eating my salad (it was chockful of shellfish which i am very allergic to) when i explained this, he whisked it away and brought me back a plate full of the MOST DELICIOUS FRESH FRUITS. oh my. it was so good. and that waiter was a doll. he took care of me and my date all night. three yrs later i still remember his name (woody) and when we got back home, we both wrote management about how fab he was!

and about 4 yrs ago, i was having dinner at a local restaurant for my bday. i made the reservations for the ten of us but didnt tell management it was my bday. i was late getting there and called them to ask them to please go ahead and seat the party without me. well, when i got there (about 45 mins late) the owner was sitting in the bar with my friends and they were on the third (or fourth) bottle of comped wine and heaven only knows how many appetizers! we were seated immediately, the owner picked up my meal and in the time from when i had called in late (at which point they learned it was my birthday from my friends) and the end of our meal, the owner had the pastry dude make me a birthday cake!!

i could go on and on. why more bar and restaurant owners dont GET that kindness will make them more money than just about anything else, is beyond me.....

lisa

Edited by ElfWorks (log)

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

i could go on and on. why more bar and restaurant owners dont GET that kindness will make them more money than just about anything else, is beyond me.....

I don't get it either. That one comped meal, probably led to most of your guests wanting to go back. While if it had just been a normal experience maybe only a few would. The big picture escapes people sometimes.

When I was in the hospital, my favorite Chinese restaurant sent one of their sons to my room with hot and sour soup, because my SO had eaten in there by himself, and they asked where I was. These folks do NOT deliver, and I was so touched that they would do that, I sat in my bed, eating my soup, with happy tears sliding down my face. Youall are absolutely right; a kindness makes you feel that you are respected as a soul, and not just a wallet with legs.

I don't get it either. That one comped meal, probably led to most of your guests wanting to go back. While if it had just been a normal experience maybe only a few would. The big picture escapes people sometimes.

Most often the manager on site is not the owner, and is rightfullly careful about giving away somebody else's money. I used to encourage the staff to error on the side of the customer in cases like this, and just leave a short explanatory note in the till if they weren't going to see me soon.

I found that it made a real good impression if the manger would pick up a customers tab and pay with money out of his own pocket, which would, of course, be reimbursed.

If a staffer appeared to be a little too generous, or we suspected that their friends or family were taking advantage of the liberal policy, I would warn them the first time, and the next time deduct it from their pay.

Three stikes, of course, and you're out. (but it never went that far)

I have a late dinner with a bunch of friends almost every Friday night at a restaurant near my house -- Gus's Place, in the West Village, for the New Yorkers in the crowd. And a few months ago, I got majorly sick -- spiked a high fever, chattering teeth, the whole nine yards. I needed to get to the doc, and pronto, but I didn't have the cash for a cab. That bartender at Gus's stuffed a $20 into my pocket without batting an eye, offered to send one of the bussers uptown with me, if I thought I could't make it to the doctor's on my own. And for the next three days, they sent containers of homemade chicken soup over to my place without ever asking for a dime. The food at Gus's is swell, but it's the people who make it so terrific.

yaknow, it isnt about the freebies, it's about the THOUGHT behind them.....

lisa

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

I have a late dinner with a bunch of friends almost every Friday night at a restaurant near my house -- Gus's Place, in the West Village, for the New Yorkers in the crowd. And a few months ago, I got majorly sick -- spiked a high fever, chattering teeth, the whole nine yards. I needed to get to the doc, and pronto, but I didn't have the cash for a cab. That bartender at Gus's stuffed a $20 into my pocket without batting an eye, offered to send one of the bussers uptown with me, if I thought I could't make it to the doctor's on my own. And for the next three days, they sent containers of homemade chicken soup over to my place without ever asking for a dime. The food at Gus's is swell, but it's the people who make it so terrific.

That's really super! What great people!

I'm glad you got over that.

Michael aka "Pan"

We moved to our current domicile about 1 month after 40 Sardines opened, and became regulars almost immediately. They, along with the local wine store, surprised us with a beautiful bottle on our anniversary when word got out that my OB had oh so graciously (snort) decreed I could have a glass of wine. The first night post-delivery in the hospital, my husband ran over there to get me takeout, as a surprise. When they found out I'd had the baby and was no long subject to the woeful dietary restrictions women in the U.S. labor under during pregnancy, Michael Smith, who along with his wife Debbie Gold, owns the restaurant and is the head chef, hustled into the kitchen and made me things that hadn't been on the menu in months- a giant hunk of seared tuna over soba noodles and raw milk goat cheese appetizers, in short, things that I couldn't eat while pregnant. Then they refused to let my husband pay for any of it.

A week later when we were in with the baby, all of my drinks were free, in celebration of my being able to drink again. They have our devotion for as long as we live here- their small gestures and kindesses have paid off tenfold; whenever friends are in town we go there, we recommend it to neighbors, we do business lunches there.

Edited by chicagowench (log)

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

At a wedding in Zurich a few weeks ago, Rachel's heel fell of her shoe, fortunately she was full of alcohol so didn't really care. Our waiter had been superb at keeping our glasses full all night and we decided to see if he would go the extra mile and showed him the shoe. He took it away and after an hour we thought he must have misunderstood and thrown it away - no problem, it was no use anymore. A few minutes later he returned to our table with the shoe glued together and presented it to Rachel on a sliver platter :laugh:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

No, she wasn't. We had eaten them before.  Also she was feeling fine all day, and we had eaten the same thing for lunch. I think it was just one bad mussel. I mean I'm willing to concede that it may not have been the mussells, but that's the only thing that makes sense.

If it was the mussels, it most likely was not the mussels at dinner since the timing is wrong. It generally takes at least a few hours for food poisoning to take effect. You may not have been comped because you blamed the mussels so quickly. He might have felt that you were looking for a freebie. Sorry, but it may be that in this case the restaurant might have been the victim. :blink::hmmm:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Well that's not what the doctor said. And I've seen more then a few cases of food poisoning that have happened pretty quick. Plus I wasn't looking to get comped in all truthfulness, I just felt that all things considered (he knew us, we didn't eat the main course...), the guy could have been nicer.

I don't know where you came to the conclusion that I was trying to make the restaurant a victim, considering I never even asked for any special consideration, and paid the bill and left a tip without any fuss. It wasn't until the next day, when we were at my girlfriends place that I told him that it could have been the mussels.