• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Get together at Village Green

adegiulio

I guess this will be the last attendence update...

Anthony & Amy-2

Tommy 2

Curlz 1

Fatcat 3

Mike and Joanne -2

Unfortunately, the other Joanne decided against coming. The new Mike and Joanne are friends of mine and very fun people. It should be a great time...Looking forward to it..

A

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

The new Mike and Joanne are friends of mine and very fun people.

you're not allowed to sit near each other as it will make the balance of conversation unfair. otherwise i'll be staring at curlz trying to think of something to say at one end and you and your friends and your guitarist will be at the other end wooping it up. and so we're all clear, i'm the one who discovered this restaurant, damnit. :angry::biggrin:

and so we're all clear, i'm the one who discovered this restaurant, damnit. :angry::biggrin:

Yeah, and Al Gore invented the internet, so let's give him props every time we check our e-mail :raz::biggrin:

I do agree with you though, Amy and I will sit far away from Mike and Joanne... :cool:

Guys, please...let's play NICE, shall we?!? I actually invented the Internet. Shh...let's keep that our little secret, okay?

Anthony, do you want all of us to bring exact change? If so, $48 pp, right? Looking forward to it--esp the part where Tommy will try to come up with stuff to say... :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Anthony, do you want all of us to bring exact change? If so, $48 pp, right?

:shock: i don't think the prices include tax and tip.

ant-nee, are they charging us a bit more given the extra special selections? let's definitely try to come up with a total number beforehand so we can show up with the right amount and no one is surprised.

Yes Tommy, there is a 2 dollar surcharge for all of this attention. For you Art History majors, that makes 50 dollars, per person, plus tip and tax. So, to answer Curlz' question, bring cash, but I don't know exactly how much it will be precisely with tip and so on. We like these people, so we will want to be generous with the tip...We'll figure it out when we get there...

A

7:30 is what I was thinking. I told Linda we would be there then....Is everyone agreed on this?

Works for me!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

...the more bubbles the better! :laugh:

DITTO! :biggrin:

Oh, there was a meal?!? I just remember MANY bottles. And glasses... :biggrin:

Great time, great company, great wines. I'll post the full list later today. Thanks again to Anthony for coordinating everything!!

Last night was a blast...Cheers to Linda and Art for providing a wonderful meal. I still pretty tired, but will post my thoughts later...

Mrs. Tommy is DA BOMB...I gotta hang out with her more often...OK with you Tommy? :biggrin:

I thoroughly enjoyed my first "egullet" dinner. I would love to participate in any upcoming events. It was a pleasure meeting everyone! The live music was a treat and the food was wonderful. I am still full!

we're going to get you and R. out to China 46 very very soon. but we'll discuss that on another thread. right now we have to try to remember what we ate and who said what to whom.

As I clear the cobwebs from my brain this morning (Could have been that dam Prosecco), I remember us all raising our candles to the sounds of Stairway to Heaven. :wacko:

China 46 sounds great - Just give me a day or two to work off last night's meal.

The highlight of the dinner foodwise for me was the Swordfish.

An up-front admission...I called Linda at VG to get the full menu, because I was so worried that I'd forget a course or not describe something correctly. It was a wonderful meal!

Here's the official menu and wine list:

Trio of Amuse Bouche

Foie Gras Torchon on Red Onion Marmalade and Brioche Toast

Crispy Sweetbread with Bacon, Pineapple and Aged Balsamic

Kumamoto Oyster with Cucumber Sorbet and Caviar

Gazpacho with Prawns, Basil Oil and Aged Sherry Vinegar

Choice of:

Maryland Soft Shell Crab over Zucchini Blossoms, Fresh Peas with Lobster Lemon Butter

or

Swordfish over sauteed Fennel with Lemon Confit, Heirloom Toybox Tomatoes with a Tomato Broth

Foie Sandwich: Seared Foie Gras between Brioche with Rhubarb, Apple, Cabernet Sauce and Pistachio Oil

Seared Muscovy Duck Breast over Rissoto with Ramps, Morels, Fava Beans and Duck Confit

Rack of Lamb with Truffle Potato Puree over medley of golden beets, red beets and fresh peas with a Red Wine Sauce

Dessert Plate:

Lemon Tart

Chocolate Panna Cotta

Brioche Bread Pudding

Raspberry Sorbet

A few fresh blue and blackberries

The Wine List (Wine Scribe's note: I know I'm missing the Chateau St. Michelle ____; would someone please fill in that blank??? Also, these are in no particular order, but I'll note the few that everyone agreed on as particularly good with certain dishes)

Zardetto Prosecco

Dr. Loosen Riesling

’01 Norman Vineyards Zinfandel “The Monster” from Paso Robles

’01 Domaine de Baumard Quarts de Chaume ***AWESOME with the foie gras

’02 Beaux Frères Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

’01 Hedges Columbia Valley CMS

(A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (half), Merlot (45%), Cabernet Franc (3%), and Syrah (2%) ) ***Great with the duck

’00 Behrens & Hitchcock Oakville Merlot

’00 Turley California Old Vines Zinfandel

’00 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon

’75 Don PX (Pedro Ximenes ) Gran Reserva

I'd have to say that my #1 is a tough choice, and it's between two totally different dishes--the foie gras sandwich and the swordfish. Each delicious and exquisite in their own right. But that broth under the swordfish tasted like spring. And the foie...well, the foie was incredible. Don't make me decide!! :wub:

Now that you're all drooling, GO TRY VILLAGE GREEN!! Linda and Art were fantastic as our hosts, and Mark's beautiful guitar playing really added to the evening as well.