• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Get together at Village Green

adegiulio

Dr. Loosen was there again!

Yes, Tommy felt that he didn't have enough wine with him already, and was obviously afraid that none of us would bring any. :rolleyes: Better safe than sorry...! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we finally finished the film on the disposable camera and I figured out how to work our usually noncooperative scanner! What I can't figure out, though, is how to post the pictures right here, so follow this link to the slide show. As you can see, there were many empty glasses and many drunk people...

Sorry - it's not working just yet... Technical difficulties

Edited by amyd (log)

Okay, you're teasing us, right? Opened the link, but the page is blank! :wacko:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

As you can see, there were many empty glasses and many drunk people...

I see drunk people...and they're always with Tommy!!! :biggrin: Thanks for sharing, Amy. That was a fun night!

My wfie and I are going to the Village Green for the first time on Saturday night (woo-hoo!!! date night without the kid!!) Needless to say I'm very excited.

Any particular dishes that are "don't miss"?

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

There are so many items on the menu that are awesome. The duck is wonderful, salmon, swordfish..... cheese course.... ginger donut for dessert, chilled melon soup with berries. YUM! Have a great night, and let us know what you think. :biggrin:

i'm a pain in the ass, but it might serve everyone better if we have general discussion of this restaurant on this existing thread. new people coming into this one will have to read a lot of posts about planning and whatnot, so it's probably not the best thread for general discussion of village green.

c'mon rosie, where the heck are you. :angry::wink:

I can merge two topics into one and/or split the topic into a new topic. Sorry. Or copy the posts and bring them to the Village Green thread and I'll delete the old ones. Or keep it like it is as Tommy can be a pain. :wink:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post re: Village Green or if there's another forum going...Anyway, I've wanted to voice this for a while, so here goes...

Although I loved the food the last 2 times I visited VG, I feel that the portion sizes of some of our courses were laughable. After the second visit, when I was with my 75 year old parents, I was left hungry 2 hours later...My mom and I had the crabcakes and they were about the size of a quarter--not to say that they didn't taste great, but even NY gives larger tasting portions than that. And I don't know how many ounces the filet was, but again, it was tiny and for the prices, I would expect a little bit more quantity out of a NJ restaurant.

I haven't seen anyone else complain of this, so are my 2 visits a fluke, or does anyone out there agree?

None-the-less, we still may dine there given that it has the best food in what is otherwise a mediocre Ridgewood...

a 7 course meal there proved to be too much food. i've never left hungry. i don't expect quantity in *any* restaurant, much less a good restaurant. 5 courses have seems just about right.

different strokes, but given my size, i can't believe that i've got a smaller appetite than most people.

I think some things are a bit small (the filet is a good example). Other choices are quite generous, like the foie gras. I think the scallop could be bigger, but I'm satisfied with the lamb...

So, I agree and disagree.... :biggrin:

A

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I think some things are a bit small (the filet is a good example). Other choices are quite generous, like the foie gras. I think the scallop could be bigger, but I'm satisfied with the lamb...

So, I agree and disagree.... :biggrin:

A

but i'm betting you never left hungry, which would seem to be what the poster was suggesting. at least i hope that's what the poster was suggesting as that's clearly the only factor that matters when discussing "quantity". unless one likes doggy bags. in which case they're probably at the wrong restaurant to begin with.

Edited by tommy (log)

Good to know I guess...we've had the 4 course and I definitely didn't leave hungry, but felt hungry later. Like I said, could have been a fluke...My friends drive all the way from Sussex county to eat there and hadn't had that experience before either.