• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can I club together nutritional information?

mmoorree

Hey people!

I have an item in the market which according to the food laws governing my place I tested for nutritional information and put it up on my labeling.

That product sadly didn't do well. I haven't discontinued it but the sales are low.

My question is- this new item i am making only has three ingredients.

1. Nut butter

2. Grain flour

3. Sweetener

I have all the nutritional information available for the ingredients seperately. Is their a calculator I can use to club this information together for labeling purpose only during the initial stages and if the sales are good I can get it tested as per the norms.

The thing is the nutritional information test is expensive.

Please advice.

57 minutes ago, mmoorree said:

Hey people!

I have an item in the market which according to the food laws governing my place I tested for nutritional information and put it up on my labeling.

That product sadly didn't do well. I haven't discontinued it but the sales are low.

My question is- this new item i am making only has three ingredients.

1. Nut butter

2. Grain flour

3. Sweetener

I have all the nutritional information available for the ingredients seperately. Is their a calculator I can use to club this information together for labeling purpose only during the initial stages and if the sales are good I can get it tested as per the norms.

The thing is the nutritional information test is expensive.

Please advice.

Are you asking for an online calculator to help you estimate the nutritional information, or something that will generate the label you need? Or both?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hopefully you will get some real professional responses here but in the meantime, you can take the clunky amateur route of entering your foods and recipe amounts in a nutrition tracker. 

https://www.myfooddata.com is one that works pretty well.  

Below is a screen cap from that site where I entered a test recipe.  As you can see, I chose the default 100g amount and entered multipliers to represent 50 g honey and 250g flour and I chose 10 servings, though you can also see the facts displayed for the entire recipe if you prefer. 

06455542-56C8-4D30-AAA9-76217DA49FE3.thumb.jpeg.362f313e4d51571140eff14664e6e388.jpeg

Below that standard label is all the detailed nutritional counts, micronutrients, etc. 

I chose foods from their database and it indicates at the bottom where the data originates, mostly from the USDA. 

14B372A2-E27E-4452-840A-E048F86B3F64.thumb.jpeg.06311fb2f97713f4d79ba2e0cab7c428.jpeg

You mentioned the you have the data on your ingredients and if your prefer, you can enter each one as a custom food, fill out all the info, then create your recipe using your custom foods rather than the standard ones.  

A bit clunky, but it will get you the information you can use to generate a label. 

• Like 3

Have you tried ReciPal?  I believe the first few labels are free.

Where are you that's requiring this?  In the US, the FDA only requires nutritional info if you're selling more than 100k units of that food item annually.  Otherwise, you just need ingredients and allergens.

26 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Hopefully you will get some real professional responses here but in the meantime, you can take the clunky amateur route of entering your foods and recipe amounts in a nutrition tracker. 

https://www.myfooddata.com is one that works pretty well.  

Below is a screen cap from that site where I entered a test recipe.  As you can see, I chose the default 100g amount and entered multipliers to represent 50 g honey and 250g flour and I chose 10 servings, though you can also see the facts displayed for the entire recipe if you prefer. 

06455542-56C8-4D30-AAA9-76217DA49FE3.thumb.jpeg.362f313e4d51571140eff14664e6e388.jpeg

Below that standard label is all the detailed nutritional counts, micronutrients, etc. 

I chose foods from their database and it indicates at the bottom where the data originates, mostly from the USDA. 

14B372A2-E27E-4452-840A-E048F86B3F64.thumb.jpeg.06311fb2f97713f4d79ba2e0cab7c428.jpeg

You mentioned the you have the data on your ingredients and if your prefer, you can enter each one as a custom food, fill out all the info, then create your recipe using your custom foods rather than the standard ones.  

A bit clunky, but it will get you the information you can use to generate a label. 

Thank you 🙏 so much I will try and update!

11 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Have you tried ReciPal?  I believe the first few labels are free.

Where are you that's requiring this?  In the US, the FDA only requires nutritional info if you're selling more than 100k units of that food item annually.  Otherwise, you just need ingredients and allergens.

Maharashtra, India.

Here you have to put the nutritional information on the label immaterial of the numbers of units you sell. 

I will check ReciPal and update. Thank you 🙏

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. I used both the website mentioned above and was able to get the nutritional information details. 

If all goes well, when I formally get my product tested in the lab i will post the result here for comparison.

• Like 4