• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thinking about food

How I knew I was maybe spending a little too much time on the subject?

A street near my apartment is being resurfaced. They ran the big grinding machine over the top to create a rough surface for the new asphalt to stick to. Then they laid the first thin layer of ashpalt.

I caught myself thinking of that as the crumb coat. :hmmm:

Any others to share? Ever get the visions of somebody's head turning into a hamburger like they do in the cartoons?

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Great subject!

Who hasn't looked at a fluffy white thunderhead and thought of a dish of mashed potatoes or whipped cream piled on top of a dish.

I walked past a local florist shop last week and saw a giant brandy snifter in the window filled with fresh flower blossoms, mostly white, with different colors scatter through it. A vision of a classic English trifle popped into my mind.

It doesn't take much to remind me of food. Scents are also a trigger. Some time ago I picked up a magazine that had a vanilla scent and immediately thought of bread pudding.

As soon as I got home that evening I had to fix one.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have an odd food association thing. I often cook while watching old movies. So one night I was making a Caesar salad while watching "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane." Now whenever I see that film, I think of Caesar salads.

And so on. If I see an old film, I can tell you what I was cooking the last time I saw it.

This is your brain. This is your brain on food. :wacko:

I find I think that same things. The other day I got into my car after a rainstorm and looked at the water on the windsheild and immediately thought of the condensation on the top of a glass lid when making rice. The same night I went home and just had to have some curry with basmati rice. It's quite nice to know that there are others out there, and that I am not going crazy. Or maybe we're all crazy....or the only sane ones and everyone else is in denile.

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

All I EVER think about is food. Sometimes sex, but almost always food. I don't think about money, or politics, or how my hair looks. Just food.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I don't think about money, or politics, or how my hair looks. Just food.

Well, duh, Liz, your hair always looks great!

I was wallowing in the burst of blossom in my part of the world today --the crabapples, the redbuds, all those trees clad in bridal white or prom pink. Then I thought about honeysuckle, what an erotic name it is, its divine fragrance, and how i'd like to encapsulate in on a plate.

Serious sicko.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

We spent 3 weeks in the Palm Springs area this Jan-Feb and our Canadian octogenarian friends asked us, " do you ever think of anything but food????" We looked at each other and said, " NO, not usually!"

I was at the beach a few years ago, and saw a couple of kids covered from head to toe in a layer of sand. They looked just like they had been breaded and ready for the fryer... I told my friend, and she was horrified...then she looked at the kids, and said "You're right, they do!". Now I can't look at sand covered children without thinking of this.

*No kids were fried to make this post.

:wink:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

All I EVER think about is food.  Sometimes sex, but almost always food.  I don't think about money, or politics, or how my hair looks.  Just food.

My situation is a polar opposite but at least with food, I'm assured of getting some two or three times a day. (but I discuss it way more than I ever talk about sex).

:rolleyes::laugh:

I was at the beach a few years ago, and saw a couple of kids covered from head to toe in a layer of sand. They looked just like they had been breaded and ready for the fryer... I told my friend, and she was horrified...then she looked at the kids, and said "You're right, they do!". Now I can't look at sand covered children without thinking of this.

*No kids were fried to make this post.

:wink:

Thank you for reminding me! The cocker spaniel we had when I was a kid had the endearing habit, in summer, of going swimming and then rolling in the fine white sand as soon as he came out of the water. At these moments he was, of course, "the breaded veal cutlet."

Edited by balmagowry (log)

I have to admit too that in the past week my dreams have included posting to eGullet. 

:unsure:

I dream about food all the time. Particularly about cooking. I am the Ferran Adria and the Thomas Keller of Dreamland, too! Some really amazing stuff, but a little hard to describe, sometimes.

Cheers,

Squeat

My sunroom walls are pumpkin pie orange, my living room is espresso cream, the baby's room is blueberry blue, just painted the shed lima bean green. I don't know what's up with you people, I never think about food.

Melissa

Paint!!! You beat me to it!! Explaining paint colors: "Well, it was creampuff, and the trim was burnt caramel. But it worked together with the chard green drapes, I swear," and having someone look at you like you are a nutter, because they don't have any idea in Hell what colors I mean.

Paint!!! You beat me to it!! Explaining paint colors: "Well, it was creampuff, and the trim was burnt caramel. But it worked together with the chard green drapes, I swear," and having someone look at you like you are a nutter, because they don't have any idea in Hell what colors I mean.

Yes, and how about when I describe my clothes? Nothing is ever just red, or black or green. It's always kiwi, cream, coffee, strawberry, " hey I got the cutest skirt! It's watermellon with an orange trim!" I could go on and on but again, I'm not obsessed like you guys! :biggrin:

Melissa

When you describe your latest self-inflicted cooking injury as a cut to the finger, thinly sliced on an angle across the grain.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Yesterday I was standing on the El platform looking up at a pigeon who was roosting on a rafter. I could see the underneath of its tail, and I thought "hey, that kind of looks segmented . . . that kind of looks like a lobster's tail."

But to be perfectly honest with you, I think about food *every single time* I see a pigeon.

Whenever I see a duck (mostly floating on the Hudson River) the first thing that comes to mind is "DINNER!"

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Whenever I see a duck (mostly floating on the Hudson River) the first thing that comes to mind is "DINNER!"

My mom lives across the street from a park that is filled with big fat geese and ducks. Sometimes I think about chasing one of those geese down. :shock:

I have an odd food association thing. I often cook while watching old movies. So one night I was making a Caesar salad while watching "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane." Now whenever I see that film, I think of Caesar salads.

Funny, I have the old movies association in reverse: whenever I see a covered plate presented to someone I think of "Whatever Happened to Bayb Jane" and in my mind I'm screaming, "Don't lift the cover! Do not lift that cover!"