• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Festival Food - East West North South

anil

@KennethTwe popped out to get some basics at a local Nisa store in Maidstone. I guess Nisa stores have a lot of autonomy because this shop haa lot of unusual stuff. As we walked in we saw raw, fresh banana leaves. We chose the best 16 or so, looking for the most aesthetically pleasing leaves. Big Sis had already procured paper faux banana leaves, because it's hard to get real leaves. I think they came to 80 pence or so a leaf. 

To answer your question, the banana leaves were sitting there looking fresh on the floor of the supermarket.

• Like 1

This discussion is very interesting because I am realising that most of what I know about Indian festivals and food, for that matter, is heavily slanted to northern India. I just watched a video of a race between incredibly long canoes for this festival, which links several of my interests. The whole context for the food is fascinating imo.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

1 hour ago, Kerala said:

I think they came to 80 pence or so a leaf. 

Wow! Here I pay the equivalent of ₤1 for 50! If my maths is correct, that is 2 pence each. And that includes them being trimmed into near rectangles* and delivery to my door within half an hour. Untrimmed are cheaper.

* Which I realise may not be what you want but my usage is different.

bananaleaf.thumb.jpg.303eddde092d5dc785cd80e13efeb71d.jpg

longestbananaleaf.thumb.jpg.5ed497cca48dc8eadc94970b9474d912.jpg

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto