• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY regional dinner

yvonne johnson

I was thinking the end of March, because like Wilfrid I don't think the planning window exists for much more than three weeks (even wedding invitations traditionally go out only a month in advance), but I'm only her to facilitate and help implement what you all want to do. It's not about what I want. If you want me there, of course, it has to be March or June. I don't know why you would -- surely it would be more fun to talk about me than to meet me. I can certainly help set it up for you in April or May as well. I think Plotnicki has in mind to do a Dim Sum Go Go this month, which is maybe why he wants to wait on the Bid thing. I don't mind doing two this month, or doing them in either order at any time. Just let me know.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

i got the impression while talking to jhlurie and the perlows that sunday march 31st was being seriously considered for a NY dinner.  

i just want to make sure that everyone knows that this is easter.

Hey... don't blame me.  :smile:  My only part of this was sitting there with a stupid look on my face when tommy asked "hey, isn't that Easter" and Rachel said "yeah, uh... I don't know... anyone got a calendar?"

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Hey... don't blame me.  :smile:  My only part of this was sitting there with a stupid look on my face when tommy asked "hey, isn't that Easter" and Rachel said "yeah, uh... I don't know... anyone got a calendar?"

jhlurie, you should have continued the story...

rachel then turned to the table behind us to ask if either of the two girls had a calendar.  it's really not important to know if they did or not, but it is perhaps important to note that the one girl was wearing shrimp tails on her fingertips.  we go to *all* the classy places.  :biggrin:

ROFL! Seriously, we went to Little Saigon in Nutley and this girl had taken all the shrimp tales and put them on as like acrylic nail tips, very funny. I can't believe it's March and I never got a 2002 calendar for my Filofax, oh well. March 31 is Easter, the week before is Palm Sunday, the week after (April 7) is the NJ dinner (not that you sophisticated New Yorkers care, but I'd like to be able to attend the NY dinner).

Hey Steven, any chance of arranging this for a Saturday night?  :wink: I'm sure that's a lot to ask of Bid, but who knows, maybe they aren't that busy and would appreciate us filling the place up. All the reports I've ever read mention how there were only a few tables occupied, maybe this applies to Saturday?

On the other hand, why don't we do the more casual dinner first, then do the Bid dinner in June when Steven can be there too? Would someone please take the reigns and plan something concrete already?

Wilfrid, does that mean that you think we will never get it together to have an e-Gullet dinner or that you will never attend one in a million years?

Definitely the former.  If we do arrange one, you'll have trouble keeping me out.

And I am sticking to a policy of not discussing dinners in June until we get to May (apart from in this sentence, of course :sad:).

Three weeks later, one hundred and twelve posts later....You can't say I haven't tried.

Simon, you are no doubt referring to April of this year. I have very dim hopes of a regional dinner happening that soon  :confused:.  But maybe the pub crawlers (who have pretty good organizational skills relatively speaking) would like to get together with you.

You are on. And rather than clog the board up with more toing and froing, I'm in communication with Simon and we will settle on day, time, place. I will post the details shortly, and anyone who wishes to join us will be more than welcome.

So, something will happen in New York, the first week in April. Hooray.

Just keep in mind that April 7th is the NJ regional dinner.

Simon, if the NY folk can't set up something for the week you are here you should feel free to hop across the river and check it out!

If the NY folks do set up a dinner, we all should attend both...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Are all these posts a joke or what??? When I was a Chowhound regular, one guy named Peter wrote and said: "I'm going to have dinner at Grand Szechuan on such and such a date. Whoever wants to join me, please post." People jumped right in for that date and it was a terrific evening.

So--why all this back and forth dilly-dallying around? Are all our lives that Busy that we can't come up with a date and time? Puhleeze! Get over yourself.  Come on folks, let's get it together and get together.  :smile:

On eGullet, six pages of posts hardly even counts as throat-clearing! Seriously, it's not a joke; it's an attempt to reach a consensus. I'm sure the big event will happen eventually (I don't think even Wilfrid doubts that), and I think until it does happen there will continue to be (as there have been before) plenty of other events where one person says either publicly or by e-mail/messenger to virtual friends, "Let's go out on X date." Anyone who isn't happy with the process should be doing just that. But planning a full-on, site-endorsed, official (not that this word really applies) event where deposits will have to be placed, monies collected, etc., doesn't happen at the whim of one person. Give it some time. The site is brand new (we launched in August, and most of you came on much later than that). I have friends I've been in virtual contact with since 1997 who I still haven't managed to make plans with, even though I'd like to. We're all busy people with a lot of priorities and we want to make sure to do this in a manner and at a time and place so as to have a memorable inaugural event. I'm sure subsequent events will be much simpler to plan, once names are put to faces and bonds are strengthened.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

But planning a full-on, site-endorsed, official (not that this word really applies) event where deposits will have to be placed, monies collected, etc., doesn't happen at the whim of one person.

Yes, it does. That's how the NJ Dinners have happened. One person needs to volunteer to take charge and just plan something.

There's no need to be impatient. We'll have a big eGullet New York dinner, and it will be nice. There are volunteers. They are working on it. Until then, groups of users will no doubt gather together informally and have a great time. If they like, they can even call their gatherings eGullet dinners and post about them.

Are all these posts a joke or what??? When I was a Chowhound regular, one guy named Peter wrote and said: "I'm going to have dinner at Grand Szechuan on such and such a date. Whoever wants to join me, please post." People jumped right in for that date and it was a terrific evening.

So--why all this back and forth dilly-dallying around? Are all our lives that Busy that we can't come up with a date and time? Puhleeze! Get over yourself.  Come on folks, let's get it together and get together.  :smile:

Ruby--Feel free to join the NJ gulleters on April 7th.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE