• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Food Network may botch next

mstillman

Has there been any announcements / thoughts to who the bimbo du jour (bdj) will be? We all agree that one of the greatest part of IC is the translation, but I still think that even in the guests' native English it would still be just as fun. Imagine, a Jessica Simpson-like bdj and a Robert Deniro-like as the other guest. Total opposites. It may go something like this (Alton Brown as the food expert):

jessica: Oh my. :huh: What is he doing. Is he like, like, killing the fish. I cant look. It's so, so, eweh. :shock:

alton: Yes Jessica, :angry: he HAS to kill the eel to use in his dishes. He nails the eel at the tail fin, gives a whack with the back of his knife at the head and slices the length of the body to gut the water serpent. This technique is very common in Japanese cooking. :wink:

robert: That is nothing new. :hmmm: I remember when I was in NYC watching my friend and chef Nobu preparing something like that. :rolleyes:

jessica: Thank goodness I married someone to help me cook, because I could not do it alone. :briggrin:

robert: You know, I remember a time when I did Raging Bull. I had to gain so much weight. I could not stand the sight of food for a while. :wacko:

Ohh and imagine what the P.E.T.A. would say after they show animals getting boiled, intoxicated or bludgeoned to death.

I wonder if AB will actually be seen on the screen. If my own memory serves me right, the commentator was invisible throughout the original show. It would be visually interesting, AB with fuzzy hair, vintage or neo vintage Hawaii and bowling shirts in contrast to MB's orange hair and shoes, BF's jeans and polo and WF's kitchen whites. Hmn...maybe the New American ICs will all wear the same outfit? Something a` la Trading Spaces shirts and chef pants? I always thought the sheeny costumes were not really cook friendly. Didn't wick the sweat well and showed every stain. I don't mind perspiration, it has a biological purpose, but sometimes I wondered if the savoury quality of some of the Chinese IC dishes were not due to droplets of sweat.

tu autem servasti bonum vinum usque adhuc

When did Alton Brown change his name from Thomas Dolby?

I actually saw Thomas Dolby in concert , pretty good too...San Francisco 1987....yea, the 80's ruled! i will be posting a full report and hope some pics this weds night when I get back from the show.

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I haven't and won't seen the film

Why am I not surprised? And, thanks for mentioning it.

And thanks for your thanks.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM