• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cutting Boards

CRUZMISL

On 11/23/2023 at 7:24 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm not saying the acacia board is hard, just that it felt hard when I tapped on it.  Just now I did the same experiment with a couple of walnut boards and they felt hard too.  I think tapping may be more a test of density than hardness.

However after a few moments googling I found an article on acacia hardness.  Apparently acacia is hard...

https://woodworkly.com/how-hard-is-acacia-wood/

Whether acacia is bad or good for a cutting board I still don't know.

The Janka hardness is within the usual range for cutting board woods, but I've heard that it has a high silica content, which quickly dulls blades through abrasion. 

Some species of Acacia are also skin irritants. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Notes from the underbelly

• 2 weeks later...

By a Boardsmith board and never worry about a cutting board again. I have 3 and they are all extremely well made and gentle on my various Japanese knives. I’ve had my 18x24 for close to 10 years now and it’s never looked better. It’s a forever purchase and worth the splurge IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robenco15 said:

By a Boardsmith board and never worry about a cutting board again. I have 3 and they are all extremely well made and gentle on my various Japanese knives. I’ve had my 18x24 for close to 10 years now and it’s never looked better. It’s a forever purchase and worth the splurge IMO. 

Among living room, dining room, and kitchen I have twenty something cutting boards.  Never yet have I been attracted to Boardsmith.  To each of course their own.

Brooklyn Butcher Blocks makes nice ones:

https://www.brooklynbutcherblocks.com

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Among living room, dining room, and kitchen I have twenty something cutting boards.  Never yet have I been attracted to Boardsmith.  To each of course their own.

Brooklyn Butcher Blocks makes nice ones:

https://www.brooklynbutcherblocks.com

To each their own for sure. Brooklyn Butcher Blocks look identical to Boardsmith boards yet they don’t seem to make 18x24 boards. That’s dumb. 

38 minutes ago, Robenco15 said:

To each their own for sure. Brooklyn Butcher Blocks look identical to Boardsmith boards yet they don’t seem to make 18x24 boards. That’s dumb. 

I'm pretty sure theyll make whatever size you want...

Custom sizes can be priced and purchased on the counter top page.

That said, I own a Brooklyn Butcher Blocks' board and a Boardsmith Board (purchased at least ten years ago).  Both good, and I'd say neither one better than the other. In my case, they're just different sizes.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

I'm pretty sure theyll make whatever size you want...

That said, I own a Brooklyn Butcher Blocks' board and a Boardsmith Board (purchased at least ten years ago).  Both good, and I'd say neither one better than the other. In my case, they're just different sizes.

Everyone makes whatever size you want. Thought it was weird it wasn’t a standard size available is all. 

11 hours ago, Robenco15 said:

Everyone makes whatever size you want.

Not true at all … I send many emails to Ingvar Kamprad (until 2018 at least), yet they continued to offer only two sizes. I had to customize myself …

IMG_1658.thumb.jpeg.9331d4fcda801377fee5a5f05a2da865.jpeg

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

Not true at all … I send many emails to Ingvar Kamprad (until 2018 at least), yet they continued to offer only two sizes. I had to customize myself …

IMG_1658.thumb.jpeg.9331d4fcda801377fee5a5f05a2da865.jpeg

looks well-used

• Sad 1