• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onion Confit

woodburner

Click here For a close-up upthread.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Mine looks very different. Much dryer! I should add more oil/butter next time I think. Or some liquid? Wine?

Maybe the oventemp should be even lower so that it doesn't dry out as much.

Oh well. I have a feeling there'll be many batches to come so plenty of opportunity for perfecting this.

Click here For a close-up upthread.

That looks just like mine. A very successful experiment GF will have to wait to taste tomorrow so I'd better not eat all of it by myself. After all it's her crock-pot. :biggrin::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Mine looks very different. Much dryer! I should add more oil/butter next time I think. Or some liquid? Wine?

Maybe the oventemp should be even lower so that it doesn't dry out as much.

Oh well. I have a feeling there'll be many batches to come so plenty of opportunity for perfecting this.

Here is what I did way back on page 2 that resulted in the picture I linked:

6 large white onions, quartered and sliced

1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)

1/2 cup EVOO

3 sprigs thyme

3 bay leaves

about 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (guessing here)

1/2 cup beef demi-glace

You maybe didn't have enough fat. I know the demi-glace had something to do with the silky texture but it works out fine without it. I just happened to see the little jar sitting there in the freezer door and thought it was a good idea. BTW... Since then, I have learned that what I had was not demi-glace but glace de viande. At refrigerator temperature, the thing was like a hockey puck so there was plenty of gelatin in there.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Well, you started this so I suppose that you are starting page 12 is fitting. :laugh:

Did you stick with adding ham or did you ever try it "straight"? I was just remembering how dissappointed I was with the bacon.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Well, you started this so I suppose that you are starting page 12 is fitting. :laugh:

Did you stick with adding ham or did you ever try it "straight"? I was just remembering how dissappointed I was with the bacon.

I'm happy to say, I've gone straight. :laugh:

I saw your post regarding the sweet potatoes, and that my dear girl, has sent me into a whirlwind of possibilites to say the least.

Just recently, I used a 1/2" melon baller as a scoop on a few Bintje potatoes, (read great for roasting) roasted those in some duck fat.

It had onion confit written all over them , but alas had none.

But soon I will.

woodburner

GF has suggested that we do Dark rye liverwurst onion confit sandwiches. I might add some melted gruyere. I'll let you know.

Bruce Frigard

woodburner... What is a Bintje potato? Why don't I know about them? I haven't actually tasted the sweet potato combo yet. But I did hear the rave reviews from a couple of folks that were there. They were so impressed that they called me to find out how to make the confit. The confit epidemic is spreading beyond the confines of eGullet. :laugh:

winesonoma... That doesn't sound half bad. I actually have some smoked liverwurst in the fridge and a little confit left in the jar. Bread is iffy. You could actually concoct a pretty sexy starter with that combo and the little party bread. What just sprung into my head was the little square of bread, mush up the liverwurst so you could pipe it through a large round pastry tip making a circle shaped "dam" and put confit in the middle. I will probably never do this but I can't quit thinking of the theme.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

woodburner... What is a Bintje potato? Why don't I know about them? I haven't actually tasted the sweet potato combo yet. But I did hear the rave reviews from a couple of folks that were there. They were so impressed that they called me to find out how to make the confit. The confit epidemic is spreading beyond the confines of eGullet. :laugh:

winesonoma... That doesn't sound half bad. I actually have some smoked liverwurst in the fridge and a little confit left in the jar. Bread is iffy. You could actually concoct a pretty sexy starter with that combo and the little party bread. What just sprung into my head was the little square of bread, mush up the liverwurst so you could pipe it through a large round pastry tip making a circle shaped "dam" and put confit in the middle. I will probably never do this but I can't quit thinking of the theme.

If you add some cream cheese or better cheese of similar texture it will pipe easily. Mix in food processor. :smile:

Bruce Frigard

I made some last week, following Marlene's recipe in Recipe Gullet only without the demi-glace (now revealed to be glace de viande) because I didn't have any. Oh, and I put sherry in it, not port.

I decided to make it over two days so that I wouldn't have to leave the crock pot plugged in while I slept. This was not for safety concerns. I don't care if I burn the house down but I didn't want to risk burning the precious stuff. :laugh:

Some of it was served with dinner that night but I can't remember what we had, other than the confit. Tonight, I served it with oven-grilled pork chops, braised sauerkraut, and warm cabbage slaw. Mmmmmm....

Jen Jensen

You maybe didn't have enough fat.

I definitely did not have enough fat. I had about one tablespoon of oil and one of butter to 8 onions (should have read the recipe BEFORE making the confit!)

The advantage of my dry version is, that it travels well. Had a winter picnic on the beach today that was much improved by my cheese-confit sandwich.

Still I feel I have not had a taste of the real thing yet. I will make another batch soon!

I've read the first six of the 12 pages of this thread (and will finish it all later), but wanted to contribute my confit experience.

I used:

6 large red onions

butter (3/4 stick)

EVOO

kosher salt

freshly ground pepper

3 bay leaves

1 tsp. of dried thyme (out of fresh)

It took 24 hours to get it to the right color and consistency. I'm guessing that my old West Bend crockpot needed to be on high the whole time. I put it on low when I went to bed, and that was a mistake. Also, I kept it covered overnight, and next time I'll leave it uncovered.

Having said that, I didn't really mind that it took 24 hours to get there because I didn't have any special plans for the confit. However, I just happened to finish making a pot of really rich and good turkey stock when the confit was done, so I put some confit in the bottom of a bowl, topped it with the a ladle or two of turkey stock and some mozzarella (didn't have gruyere), and had a variation of French Onion soup. Mmm, it was excellent! In fact, I had two bowls. I also didn't have any French bread (or appropriate substitutions) on hand, so I made do without it.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I don't use a crock pot but just my All Clad saucepan and cook all day on the stove while doing other things. My second batch is in a little jar in the fridge. tonight it will meet steaks in shallot sauce and some roasted potatoes. I have already decided that roasted sweet potatoes tossed in sage butter and mixed with onion confit will be on my Christmas dinner table!

I love it on top of goat cheese on baguette. Will be trying the melted Gruyere and onion confit sandwich this weekend!!

I made my second batch of onion confit today, using something like 14 onions or 2kg, eventually reduced down to 200mL and placed in a small glass jar. It only took around 6 hours with my version but I didn't cook it nearly as dark as some of the others, I just had it reducing until all the liquid was gone and the onions were basically frying in the pan. Anyway, it's intensely sweet and very soft, not a hint of crunchyness.

Had some this morning with scrambled eggs on toast, simply magnificant.

PS: I am a guy.

On another note, has anyone tried pressure cooker onion confit? I'm not sure how that would turn out, I'm guessing a slightly higher pressure would caremalise the sugars faster leading to a rich, brown confit without any blackness from carbonation. Also, I'm considering staggering the onions, 2kg of onions almost fill to the top of the pot when raw but reduce down to barely covering 1/2 the bottom. I'm thinking next time I should get maybe 6 or 8kg of onions and add them in 2kg batches every 2 hours or so. Seeing as confit is practically indestructable when kept in the fridge, making lots at a time make sense.

PS: I am a guy.

Pressure cooking a slightly sweet food without adding liquid sounds risky, but I think I'll give it a try, as I need a new supply of onion confit. I use a fairly moderate pressure (Lagostina) and I think I'll release pressure after 25 min., or a deepening smell. Let you know here in a couple of days...

fifi,

Next time I procure them, I promise to post a few images.

woodburner

Well, I have been lurking here off and on over the past couple of weeks, read the first six pages then. Finished the rest of the thread this morning. What a great resource this is everyone! But it was not a good time to leap into my first onion confit.

Until now. Right now. In crockpot. Started it at 8:00 this morning. I know, everyone seems to start this later in the day, to finish overnight, but now was when I felt like doing it, :biggrin: and I never know for sure when I'm going to be able to sleep so . . . :blink:

This is what I've done. I combined ideas from one and another of you (mostly fifi and Marlene) and adjusted that to what I might want to do with the confit and ingredients on hand.

2 lbs onions (yellow and purple combo)

3 bay leaves plucked off the tree this morning

2 sprigs thyme, fresh picked (1 sprig silver, one lemon)

1/4 cup EVOO

1/4 cup rendered chicken fat

1/4 cup rich chicken demiglace

1 ounce red wine (Beaujolais)

1/2 tsp Kosher salt

1/2 tsp ground pepper

2 cloves garlic

No sugar. at. all.

I put all in the crockpot. I have one of those West Bend rectangular 5 qt pots (yes, with little blue barns and trees on the side :raz: ). The high setting (5) is pretty hot because of the griddle base function. So I started it at medium high (4) to sweat the onions and get it bubbling, no cover for first 15 or 20 minutes.

After 15 minutes.

gallery_12550_164_1102092280.jpg

Then I covered the pot with foil, leaving a little vent opening

After 2 hours.

gallery_12550_164_1102093059.jpg

The confit is now on medium (3) and still bubbling mildly. I'll see how that does in a bit -- may need to adjust it up or down. Once the liquid reduces further I'll set it on low for the next 10 or 12 hrs, if this follows the pattern of everyone else's onion confit.

Hillvalley, if you are peeking in here -- are you sure you didn't have a cold? :raz: My entire house smelled like onions within 30 minutes. :biggrin:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Is anybody looking in?

I think I need to set it on low now, as much of the liquid has been reduced. The onions are soft and beginning to carmelize nicely. What do you think?

Confit after 7 hours.

gallery_12550_164_1102107635.jpg

That is true color in the photo. I had to move it out of the kitchen light -- it kept coming out red. :blink::blink:

The house smells divinely rich and earthy. :rolleyes::wub:

I want to eat some now! :laugh: But I'll be patient, it needs more time. And if it continues like this it will be good with the braised short ribs tonight. :biggrin:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

That is looking lovely, Judith. I am amazed that you got there in that short a time. I am thinking that I should leave the cover off next time I do it. Or maybe only put the cover on at first to sweat them down into the fat.

I am also going to try the trick of adding some more onions after the first pot full shrinks. It can't make that much difference and I need to be able to fill some pint jars for Christmas gifts. I am looking into processing those in hot water to ensure that they will "keep". I can't find any canning information on something like this. Any help out there? Hmmm . . . Maybe I will start another thread.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Is anybody looking in?

I think I need to set it on low now, as much of the liquid has been reduced. The onions are soft and beginning to carmelize nicely.  What do you think?

Confit after 7 hours.

It looks gorgeous and delicious at the same time and looks like it should. I can only imagine the wonderful aroma! Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. Gosh, I'm hungry now... :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I can't find any canning information on something like this. Any help out there? Hmmm . . . Maybe I will start another thread.

Well, I found the web site I had lost. You need to have a pH of below 4.6 to consider hot water processing. Onions are 5.3 to 5.8 so canning is out if you don't have a pressure canner. I don't so I won't.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"