• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dualit Toasters

tommy

It doesn't fall under $20, but I love my Russell Hobbs toaster so much that when I saw it for 27.99 at Costco I bought my mum one. Let's just say I paid about twice that for mine 5 years ago but I'm trying hard not to be bitter. It has really wide adjusting slots and heats up really fast so that your bread is toasted on the outside and sitll moist of the inside. My favorite trick it has is that the lever can't be pushed down when the toaster is unplugged. They need to add that feature to rice cookers!

regards,

trillium

Jaz,

I recieved a Black and Decker Toaster for a shower gift and it's still going strong after 15 years (of course saying that now it will break, but then I could get a really cool one).

Back when I was at university, some of my friends lived in the Japanese halls of residence (There was a satellite college of the Japanese university, and we had a room sharing arrangement to promote mixing between the students)

Anyway, the kitchens in these halls were far better than ours, every one had a huge rice cooker for a start! It also had the most fantastic Dualit toaster for some reason, a huge chromed industrial looking thing. It did about 8 slices at once, in a ridiculously fast time, and had a huge slot machine style handle to put it in.

The guys used to take turns going and getting the bread for the week (Actually we played cards - the loser got the 'honour'!) and used to eat endless late night toast while playing cards - saved on pizza!

We probably wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't such a cool toaster.

PS, Don't forget, it can do more than make toast if you have Toastabags

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Okay, I am a sucker and I went to the "Tostabags" site. There, you can watch a "Tostabags Movie!" which is not worth the time taken to download it...except when the woman with the bizarre accent (british/german/japanese hybrid) describes the bags as "hygenic."

I have a Dualit. I bought it as a reward for finishing another school year as a teacher of wacky kids. It is the only appliance allowed on my counter. It makes fabulous toast. I actually don't use it that much. It is my shrine, my totem, my reminder that a reward for a job well done actually works wonders for the psyche.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a moderately priced, low tech toaster? My little $9 unit just died and I need to replace it. [it actually still heats up, it just never turns off unless it's unplugged.]

My local Wal-Mart has a clearance rack near the checkout stands. I bought a cool-to-the-touch toaster for under ten bucks off that rack. It works like a charm.

I priced Wide slot toasters and for some odd reason they always seem to run about four or five times what I paid for my simple toaster.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have the Dualit 4 slice toaster with two sandwich toasting cages. It does make very good toast, it holds it in the toaster and keeps it warm until I use the lever to push it up.

Other toasters do make toast as well. I have many toasters. I collect "antique" electrics, including toasters, mostly from the 20s and 30s, a few from the 40s. All in working condition.

I also have two of the best toasters ever made. The General Electric automatic toaster oven that turned itself off and sprang open automatically when the toast, or whatever, was done. It has a smaller footprint than any other toaster oven and it toasted anything perfectly every time.

I bought one in 1968 and another in 1974. I still have them both and they still work perfectly.

When GE sold their small appliance division to Black and Decker they did not include the patent for this toaster. I have no idea why, because it was very popular but that is just the way it is.

I have friends who have combed through thrift shops looking for these and having them rewired when found, after using one of mine. One of mine lives at my office and has toasted numerous bagels, rolls, bread, cheese sandwiches, mini pizzas, pizza slices and various other items.

Why do I have the Dualit? It was a gift and I am obligated to use it to keep feelings from being hurt.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Some people like to spend the bucks on appliances, but I rent therefore I must settle for small electrics. Yes, I have the Dualit 4-slice model and love it. I even sprung for 2 sandwich cages. The price is outrageous but the style factor is tops and it is one solid machine! One thing I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the clean factor. I do not know if this is particular to the Dualit or whether I just had bad luck or practiced poor maintenance with my past toasters (Kitchen Aid & Krups), but this is the only toaster I have been able to keep free of those annoying baked-on browned crumbs. I am really happy with it. It completes my trifecta of kitchen small electrics I cannot do without: Porsche Kettle, Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer & Dualit Toaster.

Also, I have noticed people are either toaster people or toaster-oven people, I am solidly in the former. Toaster ovens seem so contemporary and I’m a kinda retro girl! My sister and her husband are split and have both. Does anyone know when they first started making their way into our homes? My family didn’t get one until the late 80’s.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I don't understand why you people still use toasters when you presumably have toaster ovens?

Actually, I don't have a toaster oven. I had one for a while. It was handy for heating up small amounts of food, melting cheese on an open face sandwich and that sort of thing, but mine never made very good toast. Besides, I never did like having it out on the counter. So when it died, I didn't replace it -- I got a plain toaster.

And incidentally, I found the Russell Hobbes on Amazon for $39.99, with free shipping, so I went ahead and ordered it. I like the fact that they specify that the toast is crisp on the outside but stays moist inside, because that's how I like my toast. No other toaster manufacturer I've know of mentions that. So even though it was twice what I orginally planned to spend, I think it will be worth it.

The toaster came yesterday, and it's great. So great that I had toast for dinner. And a salad, but mostly toast.

I'm glad you like it. If they're anything like their electric kettles, it should last quite a while. We've had ours for 5+ years. One I called my mum after shortly after getting that toaster for her and giving her a pint of my blood orange and bergamot marmalade and we were talking about what we'd eaten for dinner the night before... she'd had "half a loaf of toast".

regards,

trillium

Toasters and toaster ovens are a waste of counter space. I use my broiler in my oven. :shock:

My problem with that method is that the bread dries out by the time it toasts, because I can't get it close enough to the broiling element (I don't want crostini, I want toast).

Plus you have to turn it over, plus you have to remember that it's in the oven. Not a reliable option for me.

Toasters and toaster ovens are a waste of counter space.  I use my broiler in my oven.  :shock:

My problem with that method is that the bread dries out by the time it toasts, because I can't get it close enough to the broiling element (I don't want crostini, I want toast).

Plus you have to turn it over, plus you have to remember that it's in the oven. Not a reliable option for me.

Heat up the whole kitchen for a toast? :rolleyes::blink::shock: You must be kidding.

The only proper toast is that made on the hot plate of an Aga, using the curious tennis-bat-like toasting device

A1843.jpg

http://www.cookcraft.com/epages/Cookcraft....duct/View/A1843

They even do one that leaves star patterns on the toast.

The toast is contact grilled between the hot plate and its cover. Doesn't matter how thick it is. Because of the very high temperature the toast comes out crispy on the outside, while soft within. For toasted sandwiches use the simmering plate, so the inside heats (and the cheese or whatever melts) before the outside chars.

My mother bought a Proctor & Gamble toaster oven in the mid-70's. She used it for about eight years, then gave it to my sister. My sister used it for another three, and gave it to me after receiving a newer model as a gift. I used it for a further four years, a rather respectable total for an inexpensive model.

When it died, I purchased a nearly identical model to replace it, which lasted me for eight years. My current model is at the three-year mark and counting. It is microprocessor controlled, and beeps/shuts off when the toast is done. Doesn't broil nearly as well as the older model, but it makes decent toast. All of these cost less than $35 CDN, which is pretty lowball up here.

I used to have a separate toaster, but gave it away because it did nothing but take up space in my cupboard. I doubt I'd ever buy one again, unless it was a wedding gift... :raz:

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 year later...

A few months back I retired my old Dualit and bought a new DeLonghi toaster, this model because of the unusual design/shape.

Considering the cost, this thing is a disaster. Toasting is uneven, with a wide slice of sourdough, it burned at one end, was untoasted at the other. Trying to toast 4 slices is impossible as the two at one end were scorched and the others were untoasted. The "carriage" would not lower when the button was pushed - one had to remove and replace the items multiple times before the sensor would allow the carriage to lower with the push of the button.

Forget anything like frozen waffles or French toast or English muffins. And it produced acrid smells, even after several uses.

I wrote a stern letter to the company and a complaint to the vendor (I did not buy it at Amazon). I am going to keep it for my collection, because of the shape and design.

So I bought this Dualit 4-slice Lite, Soft touch toaster In the red, as shown.

It works beautifully. Toasting is even from one end to the other on the #4 heat setting (goes from 1 to 8). It has a bagel setting so that only the cut side of the bagel is toasted. (works for English muffins too).

It toasts frozen waffles in one go on #8, rather than needing two cycles.

The lever that pushed the rack down, also has extra lifting range so very small slices of bread, or 1/2 of a split bagel can be reached without touching the insides.

I am very pleased with this toaster. I wanted one with longer slots so I can toast a full slice of sourdough or sheepherder bread without cutting it in half. The slots also hold the two halves of an 8-inch round, home-made waffle (frozen).

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andi:

Thanks for the info.

I replaced my dead toaster oven with an old-fashioned toaster...mostly to save space. I have to admit that I still miss the convenience of using the old appliance to reheat things.

Gourmet , January 2005 (?) rated options, though the issue is already out of date. Krups received the highest ratings for the type I sought.

I tried researching here on eGullet and ended up with the old toaster vs. toaster oven debate on the one hand, and a product demonstration for bags that produce grilled cheese sandwiches in pop-up toasters.

Funny, but I went through three different appliances before settling on the one I've retained because it'll do.

Well, not too funny. Dullness rules today. Must be the tuna fish sandwich.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Slate rated the two-slice version of the same DeLonghi toaster highest. Ironic, isn't it?

Frankly, I think I would go with andie's recommendations before I would consider Slate's!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I tried researching here on eGullet and ended up with the old toaster vs. toaster oven debate on the one hand, and a product demonstration for bags that produce grilled cheese sandwiches in pop-up toasters.

Here is an older topic. I still love the Russell Hobbs I bought on Trillium's recommendation.

I looked at the Russell Hobbs - I have an ancient tea kettle I purchased in 1971 that still works.

However they did not have one that toasted two oversized slices of bread at a time. I didn't want a 4-slice toaster where I would have to cut a slice of sourdough or sheepherder bread in half to fit into the toaster slot. There were several reviews that were critical of the RH toasters available at Amazon.

I asked several friends who have the similar type, of various brands, from Cuisinart (displeased), Oster (okay, with reservations), KitchenAid, (not bad but overpriced), and a Villaware that got so hot on the outside that the plastic handles melted (major dissatisfaction).

There are not as many of the long-slot toasters available now as there were 3 or 4 years ago.

Hamilton Beach made one that works great, according to one friend, but I couldn't find one. West Bend also made one that works well but that also has gone by the wayside.

As far as the sensor in the DeLonghi automatically lowering and raising the bread. I have my grandmother's 1947 Sunbeam that automatically lowers the bread and gently raises it when the toasting cycle has ended. It is still a great toaster and I could use it, but it doesn't toast a large slice of bread without cutting it. It has a little mechanical thing that the weight of the bread slice pushes down to contact the control that lowers the carriage. It is a very simple and elegant solution that works without complicated circuitry.

I could also use my old GE Automatic Toaster Oven that pops open when the toasting cycle is finished, however it only does one slice at a time or two regular slices - I want to toast 2 large slices or 4 regular slices.

So far, everything I have put into the Dualit has come out exactly the way I want it. And I am rather picky.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

uh...$120...for a toaster...to toast bread...wow...wow...and wow. And that's the sale price...wow. I don't care how rich I get, I will never spend that much money to toast a bagle.

Now I'm no Elwood Blues making my toast on a wire hanger over a burner on his stove but is there a decent toaster for under a much more reasonable $40?

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band