• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy Chinese New Year!

dumpling

i went to a very festive and swank party in a restaurant in london's chinatown, imperial china. to get there we walked through a doorway and then over a little bridge over a creek filled with koi fish.

i ate: lots of roast suckling pig. and adorable little dumplings shaped like fish and then steamed. a little bit of peking duck.

and watched chinese acrobats! and saw three performances of the lion dance, i love a good lion dance. drank 3 mai tais. and had to catch the train home so alas, had to give the wee-hours karaoke a miss.

anyone out there in paris? i heard that the tour d'eiffel is to be illuminated in red, the chinese colour for good luck and prosperity!

gung hay fat choy, egullies!

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

anyone out there in paris? i heard that the tour d'eiffel is to be illuminated in red, the chinese colour for good luck and prosperity!

No red.

I went to Robuchon - where their colour scheme is very red!

May go to the parade on the Champs-Elysees tomorrow/Saturday - but I'm sure they'll have firecrackers - my dog Karli's afraid of them - and I'm loathe to be apart from her.

hi everybody,

I'm new here. Just wanted to say that i had a great chinese new year dinner at home. My mom made shark's fin soup with real crabmeat, lobster, poached chicken, fish, vegetables, and lor hon chai (buddha's vegetarian dish).

it was a great meal, especially because the whole family was there!

Edited by lemoncoke (log)

Welcome, lemoncoke!

Dinner sounded great.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I had crispy roast pork, BBQ pork, steamed fish with scallions, soy and ginger, free-range chicken, braised mushrooms, Buddha's feast, soup with pig tongue in it (to bring prosperity?) prawns, scallops, pan-fried oysters, various veggies, and rice. My mom cooked everything.

I also had a Chinese banquet-style dinner out with my family and relatives on the weekend. :) We had fried pigeon, lobster in cream sauce with noodles, sweet and sour pork, braised lamb with fermented tofu sauce, various seafood dishes (scallops, squid, etc.) free-range chicken, various mushroom dishes, and red-bean soup at the end (yuck).

Edited by Ling (log)