• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef industry: Think twice about the franks

Mudpuppie

"He tossed all the parts he called inedible into blue trash cans he'll sell to plants run by Valley Protein in Winchester.

Valley Protein was unavailable for comment.

According to the Department of Environmental Equality Web site, ingredients like those Mullins trashed will be slow cooked in large vats until they become so dehydrated that the protein parts separate from the fats. The result will be a grainy, semi-moist substance that looks like freeze-dried coffee.

This substance can be used in manufactured meat like hot dogs, in fertilizer or dog food."

So the only difference between plant food, dog food and hot dogs are that hot dogs come in a casing.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

So the only difference between plant food, dog food and hot dogs are that hot dogs come in a casing.

You mix it with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil and it becomes 'food plasma' that can be extruded into various shapes and containers to make 'food products' to adorn supermarket shelves.

Personally, I gave up on hot dogs a long, long time ago.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Egad.

I remember watching Mario Eats Italy and mortadella being made. Impeccable.

This... this is very very peccable.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Brains, lips, hoofs, etc. are only found in cheaper hot dogs. If you buy quality beef hot dogs like Sabrett, Usinger, Best, Nathan's, or Hebrew National, you are getting quality beef. Even muscle meat. I know that Usinger's even uses Certified Angus Beef. Best uses choice beef. I think the others do also. I believe either Sabrett or Hebrew National advertises that the beef used is from the hind quarters (which supposedly is better.)

Most beef hot dogs on the market use decent beef. Look at the ingredients listed. Stay away from any hot dog that uses the term "variety meats". These are the ones that may contain lips, hoofs, etc. Better yet, just by quality beef hot dogs.

John the hot dog guy

Ah, Mongo, that's precisely what I am doing. I bought a quantity of twins(bred cows), and spring heifers(first babies this year) at the bancruptcy sale of Leachman Angus cattle. Myself and two other partners are intending to build up a beef herd for our people. These are not your everyday cattle - they are microchipped, and the best possible exemplars of their breed. I am doing it simply because it needs to be done.

Also, let me add an aside; during the dispersal, there were a large bunch of OZ and NZ people buying everything from semen to raised cattle; so I have always assumed these boys know their cattle.

I believe either Sabrett or Hebrew National advertises that the beef used is from the hind quarters (which supposedly is better.)

Not familiar with the Sabrett brand, is it kosher? Hebrew National would not advertise hind quarters -- that's not kosher. That's why observant Jews must learn to cook a brisket instead of noshing on a nice fillet.

i just got done reading the humongo snobbery thread. i'm just surprised no one's recommended raising, slaughtering and processing your own herd of cattle.

Well, if you want to, I can recommend a rather large group of conscientious ranchers who would be tickled to sell you a calf, or multiple calves. I also know several custom butchers who would be tickled to break your beef down into any type of cut you would prefer.

Contact me offline if you would like to get some phone numbers or e-mail addresses.

Ditto for pork.

Heck, you might even be able to get some Bambi hot dogs out of the bargain from one of the butchers.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I believe either Sabrett or Hebrew National advertises that the beef used is from the hind quarters (which supposedly is better.)

Not familiar with the Sabrett brand, is it kosher? Hebrew National would not advertise hind quarters -- that's not kosher. That's why observant Jews must learn to cook a brisket instead of noshing on a nice fillet.

Sabrett is all beef, kosher style. Not kosher.

John the hot dog guy

From the article:

But there's no telling what's inside manufactured products like Slim Jims, ballpark franks and potted meat.

That just bums me out. I get a hankering for a Slim Jim now and then (see the "Strange Cravings" thread). Guess I should switch to Slurpees now. Unless they come out with a new Slupree flavor, "Downer Cow Cola". :laugh:

And what frick is "potted meat"? :blink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Ever hear the phrase "Don't ask the question if you don't want to know the answer"?

Potted meat used to be my favorite label-reading experience. It's a total gross out. I don't know why they're honest about what goes into it, but they are. It's worse, even, than vienna sausages.

Here's some education.

:wacko:

Edited by Mudpuppie (log)

amanda

Googlista

Ever hear the phrase "Don't ask the question if you don't want to know the answer"?

Potted meat used to be my favorite label-reading experience. It's a total gross out. I don't know why they're honest about what goes into it, but they are. It's worse, even, than vienna sausages.

Hang on. I thought potted meat was the same thing as vienna sausages in a different form - they certainly taste identical. :unsure:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Hmm.

Well, for clarification I visited the Potted Meat Museum.

I found no such clarification, just pictures of labels.

I continued googling, and then got irreversibly nauseous. I never found the answer. You may be right, hannah. Maybe vienna sausages are simply extruded potted meat? It will take a stronger stomach than mine to get to the bottom of this.

amanda

Googlista

Ok, apparently they're not identical, but they're pretty close. And while it's been some time since I last had either, I specifically remember them tasting exactly the same.

Potted meat (Armour): Mechanically Separated Chicken, Beef Tripe, Partially Defatted Cooked Beef Fatty Tissue, Beef Hearts, Water, Partially Defatted Cooked Pork Fatty Tissue, Salt, Less than 2 percent: Mustard, Natural Flavorings, Dried Garlic, Vinegar, Dextrose, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite.

Vienna sausages (Armour): Mechanically Separated Chicken, Water, Beef, Pork, Salt, Corn Syrup, Less than 2%: Mustard, Spices, Natural Flavorings, Dried Garlic, Sodium Nitrite.

I've always been puzzled by "partially defatted cooked (insert meat here) fatty tissue." Is this the stuff that's left *after* it's rendered for lard? :blink:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I used to eat Spam in my younger days.

Ignorance sometimes IS bliss. :wacko:

As much as Spam is disparaged, though, it was the saving grace of many a dinner table throughout the world during and shortly after World War II when there was a shortage of basically every kind of food item and meat, especially, was hard to come by.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

When I taught high school English years ago, one of my favorite writing assignments was to pass out various food labels and have students quickly jot down reactions to turn into essays. The poor kid who received the Hormel potted meat label was invariably disgusted, but I always enjoyed reading the resulting papers!

Some of my other favorites:

The first two ingredients of cheap ice cream: "Milkfat, non-fat milk."

On a burrito from the school cafeteria: "This burrito has been previously handled."

There were more that I've long since forgotten.

:laugh::laugh:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Maybe this is not the place to ask, but considering that people are discussing these sorts of things: what IS it that makes hot dogs taste like hot dogs?

I mean, to some extent, good frankfurters, regular grocery store hot dogs, kosher beef franks, turkey franks, tofu dogs, etc. all taste the same. What I'm wondering is what the spices included are that make [random protein] taste like hot dog.

I've done searches on this and I can't find a recipe for making your own hot dogs. I have to admit that I don't really want to, but I'm really curious as to what's in them.