• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad food technology

fresco

Okay, I am out here just treading water. Because I want you all to eat healthy, I DO , but what am I gonna do against gov. restrictions? What if it means the difference in me losing everything my family built over three generations? Tell me what to do, you all?

Can you be more specific about the restrictions you're referring to?

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Zanthan/Xanthan gum/gum xanthane is my nominee. This stuff is a great thickener. Works like a charm. However, it has taken out the process of reduction in many sauces and condiments that adorn the American table which certainly affects the flavor.

Also, to my knowledge, it is the first major GMO food. Everyone eats that crap in catsup, spaghetti sauce (the canned kind), ice cream, etc, etc.

Now, I think it has its place, and I'm not personally scared of GMO foods/crops. But, it shouldn't replace a major cooking process in my opinion. That just makes for bad food.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

it's a toss-up between the food pyramid, trans-fatty acids and high fructose corn syrup.

I opened a can of kidney beans the other night (hey, I was in a hurry!) and glanced at the ingredients...beans, high-fructose corn syrup, salt.

Yum! Kidney bean syrup!

And who thought that putting gum in whipping cream is a good idea. I can't find any sort of "heavy cream" without it short of driving 30 miles to a granola-crunchy grocery.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

it's a toss-up between the food pyramid, trans-fatty acids and high fructose corn syrup.

I opened a can of kidney beans the other night (hey, I was in a hurry!) and glanced at the ingredients...beans, high-fructose corn syrup, salt.

Yum! Kidney bean syrup!

who doesn't like a little high-fructose corn syrup with their beans? i know i do! yum. :blink: