• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Pot/Pan

AzRaeL

mine has to be my 10inch Lodge Cast Iron Skillet. Indestructable and Can be used for just about anything, except Spaghetti Sauce.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Dutch oven. A REAL Dutch oven. The one with the little legs and flat lid, so that you can put it right into the fire and heap coals onto the top and actually bake bread, cakes, etc., in it.

And do everything else, including spaghetti sauce. And even the spaghetti.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

have to say that i'm probably one of the few people in the u.s. that hasn't seen survivor.... but.... i'd take my 5 quart french oven. seems that i can cook about anything in it- and fend off attackers!

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

Easy. My ancient, shiny black cast iron skillet.

Um... but maybe my LeCreuset French oven. Multi-tasking possibilities.

No... the cast iron dutch oven. More indestructable.

But I can't make corn bread without the skillet. No, I could probably do that in the dutch oven.

But the skillet does make a better weapon.

Maybe I vote for the skillet.

But dutch ovens can do so many things.

:wacko::blink::huh:

*revelation* So far, no one has grabbed the $$$$ shiny stuff. Hmmmm.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

And do everything else, including spaghetti sauce. And even the spaghetti.

but doesn't the acid from the tomato based sauce wreck the cast iron and the seasoning?

can you imagine grilling a freshlly caught fish on a superhot cast iron skillet?

squeeze a bit of lemon, add a bit of fennel.

YUMMY!!!!!!!

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Wouldn't heavy stainless steel be a better choice than cast iron? No rust, non-reactive surface, won't crack if dropped on a rock, etc.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Wouldn't heavy stainless steel be a better choice than cast iron? No rust, non-reactive surface, won't crack if dropped on a rock, etc.

if you wanna talk about better, technically anodized aluminum or titanium would be even better.

Lighter stronger and more rust resistant. But somehow it just doesn't Go.

During my Stint in the Army, we used Aluminum Mess Tins. Light and strong enough.

But just doesn't have that...versitility. that intangible feel.

The cast iron stuff traveled with the settlers across this great country and survived. I think I will stick with a long term history of success.

If you want to bean someone with a frying pan, which would you pick? Well seasoned cast iron or All Clad? The All Clad may come out dented. The cast iron will be unfazed and go on to make the next omelet or corn bread.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The cast iron stuff traveled with the settlers across this great country and survived. I think I will stick with a long term history of success.

If you want to bean someone with a frying pan, which would you pick? Well seasoned cast iron or All Clad? The All Clad may come out dented. The cast iron will be unfazed and go on to make the next omelet or corn bread.

the cast iron would and could seriously crack skulls like eggs

have to say that i'm probably one of the few people in the u.s. that hasn't seen survivor.... but.... i'd take my 5 quart french oven. seems that i can cook about anything in it- and fend off attackers!

Nope, I haven't seen it either, but I assume I'd be stranded somewhere remote. I'd bring either a dutch oven or my wok.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

have to say that i'm probably one of the few people in the u.s. that hasn't seen survivor....

That makes two of us.

My wok can be turned upside down, over a fire, with the convex top used as a grill. Tip it over and you can boil, fry or whatever. The long handle gives you the heft for a weapon and the thin edges can be formidable.

Turned upside down, it can be a rain hat.

The other survivors might want it for themselves, -----so sleep with it, using the round part as a pillow.

My wok can be turned upside down, over a fire, with the convex top used as a grill. Tip it over and you can boil, fry or whatever. The long handle gives you the heft for a weapon and the thin edges can be formidable.

Turned upside down, it can be a rain hat.

The other survivors might want it for themselves, -----so sleep with it, using the round part as a pillow.

Wok wins! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Shades of "Eating Raoul." So if we're bumping off folks, I'd have to stick with tradition and go with the cast iron.

And their skillet did, as I recall, "go on to make the next omelet or corn bread."

Although finally Mrs. Bland said, "Could we get another skillet? Somehow it just doesn't seem right frying eggs in this one."

:laugh:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I think that my choice would be a pot that I recieved after my grandmother died. It is a cast iron oval about 16 inches long and 10 inches wide that has a roasting rack (detachable) in the bottom of it and weighs about a ton. The brand name on it is "Drip Drop Baster, Patent 1913".

Not only is it big enough to cook leg bones carved from other island strandees (they would not be Survivors very long if I got hungry and could find nothing else to eat :wink: ) but the thing is virtually indestructible. It has a very heavy lid and the bottom is twice as thick as the rest of the pot, so it would probably be good for open fire cooking.

I love that thing. Every time I cook with it I get a warm feeling knowing that my Grandmother used to churn out great fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, seafood gumbo, and awesome braised beef tips in that thing. Good cooking Karma and I always feel connected to her when I use it.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I want to be in Survivor: Provence too! :wink:

"Survivor: Provence"

:laugh:

Love that.

I used to backpack with a guy who carried a cast iron skillet. He also carried fresh eggs and a double bitted ax. His pack weighed like 80 pounds, but he made really good breakfasts! :raz:

I want to be in Survivor: Provence too! ;)

Amen to that! *LOL*

Looks like the winner would be one that hasn't been invented yet.

A cast iron wok with a flat bottom and a heavy tight fitting lid. It's a Dutch oven! It's a wok! It deep fries, it sautes, it bakes it braizes and it grills. Hell, if it was thick enough the lid itself could be a grill..

hmmmmmmmmmm

The patent is mine, I tell you... ALL MINE!!!!

muahahahaa......

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Looks like the winner would be one that hasn't been invented yet.

A cast iron wok with a flat bottom and a heavy tight fitting lid. It's a Dutch oven! It's a wok! It deep fries, it sautes, it bakes it braizes and it grills. Hell, if it was thick enough the lid itself could be a grill..

sounds do-able but it's gonna weight a fricking TON!!!!

It would be too heavy to wear as a rain hat! :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

It would be too heavy to wear as a rain hat! :laugh:

but you can use it as a Sled in...

Survivor : Siberia