• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Du Monde (NOLA, French Quarter)

Jason Perlow

Cafe Du Monde Coffee Stand

800 Decatur St

New Orleans LA 70116

(504) 525-4544

i1250.jpg

Crowds at all hours

i1251.jpg

Plenty of street entertainment

i1252.jpg

Beignets as good as I remember and a new item on the menu :shock:Iced Cafe Au Lait

i1253.jpg

A lot of the staff is Vietnamese now, but the drill is the same

i1255.jpg

The current menu

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm glad we saved Cafe du Monde for the last day of our trip. The beignets are so good that I probably would have insisted on several visits had we gone there earlier in the week. I totally forgot how good these things are. We were very surprised to find a new item on the menu -- the frozen cafe au lait -- but glad cause we were kind of warm from walking around the quarter on a sunny day. Still no iced tea though.

A very pleasant ending to a fabulous vacation.

I don't know how native New Orleanians eat these things without making a complete mess of themselves. These beignets are piled on with so much powdered sugar that its impossible to keep the stuff off your shirt.

I must admit that despite the touristyness of that part of Decatur street and Cafe Du Monde, the beignets and the coffee are very very good. I guess thats why we keep going back.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

As much of a tourist thing as it is... I've got some good memories of Cafe du Monde.

Holly, I've seen it in MORNING LIGHT, which is subtly different from daylight. If you never slept the night before, even if you've backed off on the drinks a bit, everything is all shiny and bouncy. And those Beignets bring you from zero to sixty in about two seconds.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

As much of a tourist thing as it is... I've got some good memories of Cafe du Monde.

It's not all tourists. You see plenty of well dressed people going to work with a couple of orders and a cup to go on weekday mornings.

And I completely agree about the "bright, bouncy" look after a long swing at the halyards. It takes on a completely different feel. :laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...