• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flammable Foods

Fat Guy

Inspired by the near-simultaneous appearance of the Eating Fire topic and the Setting Potato Chips On Fire diversion on the Stax v. Pringles topic, it occurred to me that as far as I know we have never had a flammable-foods topic.

So?

Light it up, people.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

When I was 10, and living in Thailand, we had a fancy dinner at the French Restaurant (Le Cave????) at the wonderful and venerable old Eraway Hotel (which has since been replaced by some monstronsity). For dessert, we had Peaches Flambe. Never mind that you wonder where in the hell they got peaches in Bangkok in 1968, or whether they were even peaches. But, earlier that day, my sister and I got our very first ever pet -- a cat (Siamese, naturally); I remember nothing else about the meal. We named her Flambe. She was a wonderful cat, and lived to the ripe old age of 15. Made the move from Thailand to MN without flinching.

But, back to the topic. Suggestions, please. My propane torch is ready!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

From a scientific standpoint, would it be correct to say that all food is flammable if you get it hot enough?

Also what's the deal with flammable and inflammable meaning the same thing?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

From a scientific standpoint, would it be correct to say that all food is flammable if you get it hot enough?

Some things are harder to flame than others. Trust me. Old rotten fish guts are not highly flamable. It's a long (but good) story, but I now it's true. Gasoline and alcohol on the other hand....

Edited by snowangel (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

If you throw goldfish crackers just to the edge of a fire, they will eventually burst into flames in a little puff of smoke. :cool:

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Dr. Nick had that same question in an episode of The Simpsons about a tank of ether..

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

So, kind of tangential... but if you put marshmallows in the microwave they puff up really big and look cool.

I've always wanted to light kirch on top of fondue as I'm serving it, but I'm too chicken. Fondue is one of those foods that I just can't seem to make while entirely sober and I've never felt that tipsy and flaming was a good combo.

bwok bwok

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

So, kind of tangential... but if you put marshmallows in the microwave they puff up really big and look cool.

Marshmallows are one of the great flaming food of all time. The key is to roast them over an open fire, preferably after doing the dishes and preparing the campsite for bed, slowly slowly slowly so the inside melts into something resembling a 90's era dessert foam. Then, at the last minute, stick the 'mallow into the campfire until it lites up. Menace your friends (alternately, your children) until mom tells you to quit it, and then eat up. It's like a backcountry creme brulee, with the carbony crunch outside and warm foam in.

This, along with ghost stories, is why the gas camp stove will never fully replace the campfire.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Back in the day, on Boy Scout camping trips, we would lug huge jars of Tang into the woods solely for the purpose of throwing handfuls of it on the fire. It would flame up in psychedelic colors, and we would taunt each other to jump through it and stuff.

I tell a lie. We drink drink a little of it too. And we invented Tang sandwiches, Tang sprinkled thickly on a piece of Sunbeam bread and topped with another piece. I seem to remember regarding them as a delicacy back then...

Enough with the hedging and qualifiers. Lets just start naming stuff.

S'mores

Pu-Pu Platters

creme brulee (if the final step is done at the table with a blowtorch)

Bread pudding, soaked in Rum

Mongolian Beef

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

In all my years of research, that powdered non-dairy creamer is about the most flammable solid I've found.

Well god knows it doesn't dissolve in liquid. What do you do, throw up a handful, blast it with an acetylene torch, and watch it sparkle? Or is it a substitute for fertilizer? (Note to mr. Ashcroft: JOKE JOKE)

Some things are harder to flame than others.  Trust me.  Old rotten fish guts are not highly flamable.

Ah, but if you unthinkingly stuff them down a garbage disposal while cleaning a dozen fish or so and then turn the disposal on, they will spray a horrifying glurt of scales, blood and eyeballs all over the kitchen.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Some things are harder to flame than others.  Trust me.  Old rotten fish guts are not highly flamable.

Ah, but if you unthinkingly stuff them down a garbage disposal while cleaning a dozen fish or so and then turn the disposal on, they will spray a horrifying glurt of scales, blood and eyeballs all over the kitchen.

Chad

Glurt. What a great word. :biggrin: Thanks. But is it a noun or verb? Or both? Can a "glurt" of scales, blood and eyeballs also "glurt" all over the kitchen?

My old toaster was highly flamable. Didn't matter what was in it. :shock:

Edited by cakewalk (log)

I work at a science museum, so playing with fire is par for the course. Liquid oxygen, on its own, will not cause flames. However, when a lit cheeto is placed into a styrofoam coffee cup containing liquid oxygen, quite a spectacular display will result, especially when parties involved realize that styrofoam can and will melt when exposed to open flame.

Moral of the story: Cheetos make good fire starters, and you can't get scorch marks off tables with Windex.

--adoxograph

I work at a science museum, so playing with fire is par for the course.  Liquid oxygen, on its own, will not cause flames.  However, when a lit cheeto is placed into a styrofoam coffee cup containing liquid oxygen, quite a spectacular display will result, especially when parties involved realize that styrofoam can and will melt when exposed to open flame.

Moral of the story: Cheetos make good fire starters, and you can't get scorch marks off tables with Windex.

Someone who loves playing with fire! Can I hang out with you? :wub:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I work at a science museum, so playing with fire is par for the course.  Liquid oxygen, on its own, will not cause flames.  However, when a lit cheeto is placed into a styrofoam coffee cup containing liquid oxygen, quite a spectacular display will result, especially when parties involved realize that styrofoam can and will melt when exposed to open flame.

I'd bet marinating said Cheeto in LOX would make for an even more brilliant display.

For about 8 summers, I went to a pretty hoity-toity sleepaway camp in Pennsylvania (remember Camp Mohawk in the movie "Meatballs"?).

Every year there was this banquet at the end of the summer. The lights would go off in in the dining room, and waiters would come running through carrying trays of Flaming Baked Alaska.

Sleepaway camp...those were the days!