• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet PIE Potluck

SobaAddict70

I know that I will just seem like a "bumpkin from Flyoverville" by asking this but-Is Durian easy to find up there in that Culinary Mecca that is New York? I once made a fairly serious effort to find it in New Orleans, but no dice.

They're easy to find at the produce stands in the Chinatown area (although it might be seasonal, I don't know). That's where we bought one about six months ago. We had just had a discussion about durian and I noticed them at a stand as we were driving by. Had Jason pull over and I bought one. We brought it to our local Vietnamese restaurant to share. In the dining room Jason was the only one who liked it, but the owner's mother was very happy to take our leftovers!

The durian for sale in Chinatown and Flushing is super-expensive, and keep in mind that the older a fruit like that is, the less good. That's true of most fruits, isn't it?

Michael aka "Pan"

Perhaps the Durian Pie should be saved for an outdoor venue, rather than in our friends' apartment?

I will be doing something lemony, that doesn't require any expertise with beef.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

A preliminary list of people attending the PIE potluck is below. We'll probably take a final count the day before to confirm, but I wanted to get the ball rolling since it's literally a week and a half away.

Suzanne F & HWOE (as gracious hosts)

me

elyse

Jason and Rachel

El Gordo and Ellen

R Washburn and his wife

blovatrix

sherribabee

Bond Girl

KirkL and Picaman

bergerka and slkinsey

Pan

wawairis

MHesse

jeunnefilleparis

megc

SethG

alacarte

laurenmilan

forkandpen

Al_Dente

Total so far: 27

Oh, and what exactly is a shoofly pie?

Soba

I'm not quite sure... but I understand that it pairs quite well with apple pan dowdy. Indeed, some say these two in combination will make your your eyes light up and your tummy say "howdy," whereas others allege that they make the sun come out when heavens are cloudy. I don't know about any of that, but I do know that I never get enough of that wonderful stuff. :wink:

--

Soba

Soba, please put me down as plus one, the hubby may be joining us if there's enough room for all of us (plus pie!). Thanks!

Are we supposed to claim what we're bringing at this point?

Shoo-Fly Pie is a Pennsylvania Dutch pie with a molasses and/or brown sugar filling. The name supposedly comes from having to shoo the flies away from the sweet pie.

So what's everyone gonna bring?

I'm bringing a chai spice apple pie with 5-spice whipped cream, a white chocolate mousse/pumpkin spice mousse pie in gingersnap crust, and if my stomach permits it, a durian meringue pie.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

I'm not sure if my schedule next week allows me time to bake. Would it acceptable if I made sorbet?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Soba, please put me down as plus one, the hubby may be joining us if there's enough room for all of us (plus pie!). Thanks!

Are we supposed to claim what we're bringing at this point?

Shoo-Fly Pie is a Pennsylvania Dutch pie with a molasses and/or brown sugar filling. The name supposedly comes from having to shoo the flies away from the sweet pie.

Certainly.

Probably would be a good idea if you did mention your contribution, we'll update the list as things progress.

Pan: Since it gets dark fairly early, I was thinking that things might begin at or around 3 pm -- time enough for people to get home at a reasonable enough time especially if they have to work that following Monday. (If they don't have to, then so much the better.) Suzanne might want to weigh in here.

Blovie: No problem.

SethG isn't coming unfortunately. :shock:

Soba

I'm going to try making the vinegar pie, and picaman can tell me if it's authentic or not!

It's been probably twenty years since I've had it. As I can't even remember what I had for dinner two days ago, I'm sure your vinegar pie will be a tasty, marvelous, and above all, new experience for me.

:laugh::laugh:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

3 o'clock is exactly what I was thinking. And it's a holiday for some the next day (MLK jr), but yes, for those for whom it is not, that should be a good time.

There's plenty of room for hubbies. And even kidlets (too bad, yeah, I was looking forward to meeting SethG's).

Once again, whoever is coming and needs the address and directions, PM me.

There's plenty of room for hubbies. And even kidlets (too bad, yeah, I was looking forward to meeting SethG's).

I am sorry I won't be able to make it. I was really looking forward to meeting all of you!

Some other time.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I might be able to make it to this. I'd like to meet you all and I'm always up for an excuse to bake. I'd be dragging the spousal unit along; she made me go ice skating today so she owes me one.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

3 o'clock is exactly what I was thinking. And it's a holiday for some the next day (MLK jr), but yes, for those for whom it is not, that should be a good time.

Once again, whoever is coming and needs the address and directions, PM me.

Oh wait wait...I thought this was on the 25th, but if the next day is MLK day, that makes the potluck the 18th?

That being the case, I can't make it...I have a performance that day at 4pm in New Jersey. I'm sorry. :sad:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous