• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The eGullet PIE Potluck

SobaAddict70

I'm planning to make a heap of chili tonight, so I might bring a Frito Pie :wub: as well.

You know that little thingie that connects your bottom lip to your gums? Well I got a scratch-a-frackin canker sore right there. Tried using some Orajel on it :angry: *throws tube of Orajel against the wall* and it just burned and started to make all the surrounding skin peel off. However, I shall persevere -- I will still be at the pie potluck on Sunday!

Soba: ouch! Get better.

Al: you suck.

Fork: good idea. But if someone throws a durian at you, please shower before you come. :raz:

Sherri A. Jackson

You know that little thingie that connects your bottom lip to your gums? Well I got a scratch-a-frackin canker sore right there. Tried using some Orajel on it :angry: *throws tube of Orajel against the wall* and it just burned and started to make all the surrounding skin peel off.

Try KANKA; it totally numbs the area.

You know that little thingie that connects your bottom lip to your gums?  Well I got a scratch-a-frackin canker sore right there.  Tried using some Orajel on it :angry:  *throws tube of Orajel against the wall* and it just burned and started to make all the surrounding skin peel off.

Try KANKA; it totally numbs the area.

Is it anything like Orajel? The orajel numbed my tongue and my lips, but just burned and burned the area around where I actually wanted it to actually be numb. It's been 2 days since I used it and the skin is still peeling away. (Sorry if that's gross, I'll shut up about it now. I'm just fixating on it cuz it hurts som much)

:sad:

*whine*

Sherri A. Jackson

I'll be bringing a bottle of French red wine

Perfect with the coconut cream pie.

That's a joke, right?

But seriously, Suzanne, am I doing something wrong? I wondered about that, too. I don't know what the wine is like. I thought it might go with savory pies, though. Will there be many of those?

If worst comes to worst, the wine could just be a gift for you to use some other time.

Michael aka "Pan"

Not a thing wrong, as far as I'm concerned. If it's good, a lot of us will get to enjoy it; if not, we'll have fun saying how awful it is and how you should never take that salesperson's advice again.

And yes, there will be a goodly number of savories. So bring it, please!

And if it's a Banyul (which I doubt), HOO BOY! (We've got some Beaumes de Venise we plan on breaking out.)

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

If worst comes to worst, the wine could just be a gift for you to use some other time.

Careful Pan, I don't think that came out right.

No, I didn't mean it that way! :laugh:

Michael aka "Pan"

I will start preheating the oven for re-heats at 2:00 pm (350 degrees okay, everyone?), assuming I have it clean by then. :blush:

The starting gun goes off at 3:00 pm. But nobody cuts a thing until the first pictures are taken. :hmmm: Remember, please, to bring cameras, as we have none. :sad:

As this point in time, we are up to about 20 or so. Folks who said earlier they might come, but have not yet been in touch for directions: don't forget to PM me!

Bad news guys, Rachel has a fever, I don't think we're going to be attending tomorrow.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Sam -- so the dilemma of whether to attend K's concert or the potluck has been decided by an act of, um, something exteral. And Rachel, I was so looking forward to the little phyllo things. Oh, poo. Get plenty of rest, drink lots of fluids (especially hot, spicy ones), and get better fast, both of you. :sad:

Uh oh, there goes one of the best cameras! Sherribabee, forkandPen, anyone else, HELP!! :shock:

My electric mixer died in the midst of perparation. Fortunately, the egg whites were done and only the heavy cream needed to be whipped. Needed to take a wrist rest in the middle, but managed fine with a whisk. Pie all done. The oven door stayed closed even with the broken springs. Extra lemon stuff left over. Will bring it along tomorrow if we can keep our spoons away from it until then. Bottle of riesling too.

Caution for those concerned: lemon fluff contains uncooked eggs.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Sam and Rachel, I can really empathize with you. Rest a lot and don't overexert yourselves, and keep track of your temperatures, because you might run a high fever, God forbid, without realizing it. I hope both of you get well quickly, but don't rush it.

Michael aka "Pan"

And Rachel, I was so looking forward to the little phyllo things. Oh, poo.

Yeah, I feel invested in those phyllo things!

I'm sorry Joe (he gave me much assistance via PM). I had bought all the ingredients earlier in the week, planning to make them today, but that didn't happen. I feel better than I did yesterday, but I don't think you want me sniffling and coughing all over everyone. I'm drinking lots of tea, Jason got an interesting Korean honey-citron "tea" at Han Ah Reum today, that was very nice. Have fun. Hopefully, I'll see many of you next week in NJ.

And Rachel, I was so looking forward to the little phyllo things. Oh, poo.

Yeah, I feel invested in those phyllo things!

I'm sorry Joe (he gave me much assistance via PM). I had bought all the ingredients earlier in the week, planning to make them today, but that didn't happen. I feel better than I did yesterday, but I don't think you want me sniffling and coughing all over everyone. I'm drinking lots of tea, Jason got an interesting Korean honey-citron "tea" at Han Ah Reum today, that was very nice. Have fun. Hopefully, I'll see many of you next week in NJ.

Of course you know that I was kidding. As one who was struck down by the flu earlier this winter (2 nights of 103.5 fever), I can feel your pain. Get better soon.