• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

Wait.

What do you mean we can't have bacon? :blink:

Bacon COMPLEMENTS a good burger, but IMHO doesn't DISTRACT from the quality of said burger.

We just order a side of bacon so we can eat all by itself. Quite frankly, I think the burger would take away from the flavor of the bacon, and we can't have that, now can we?

:rolleyes:

Smart girl.

How will we be determining whether burger A is better than burger B?

Perhaps we should set up some criteria:

weight (who will bring a scale?  :smile: )

diameter

thickness

juiciness

taste: fresh, meaty, salty, and so on

odor

bun: freshness, size, toasted, and so on

served hot?

presentation

and so on

One avoids trying to impose order onto chaos, but if not we'll never move on to the next quest.

--mh

Okay, who likes charting things?

Not it!

I guess I'm a purist.  I always cut my burger in half, take a corner bite, and if necessary dunk it in ketchup with each bite.  It's kind of hard to tast the burgerieness with layers of flavors on it.  If people want to order their burger with boursin, back bacon, tripe, pizza sauce, trotters, pickles, and turkey stew, that's fine, but PLEASE take your first bite plain.

I'm copying this to the other thread. :smile: (I guess that was redundant...?)

Fair enough!

Okay, who likes charting things?

I'll volunteer to be recording secretary for the first one. It'll make for :rolleyes: an interesting Excel project.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

If people want to order their burger with boursin, back bacon, tripe, pizza sauce, trotters, pickles, and turkey stew, that's fine, but PLEASE take your first bite plain.

So that's the second rule of Burger Club?

Sherri A. Jackson

If people want to order their burger with boursin, back bacon, tripe, pizza sauce, trotters, pickles, and turkey stew, that's fine, but PLEASE take your first bite plain.

Wait, which is the first rule? Is it not to talk about Burger Club, or is it that there's NO FUCKING BIG NICK'S? This is really peeving me.

Edited by elyse (log)

Wait.

What do you mean we can't have bacon?   :blink:

Bacon COMPLEMENTS a good burger, but IMHO doesn't DISTRACT from the quality of said burger.

We just order a side of bacon so we can eat all by itself. Quite frankly, I think the burger would take away from the flavor of the bacon, and we can't have that, now can we?

:rolleyes:

Smart girl.

in that case, make sure to have glass of water, to rinse between bites.

can't have the sanctity of the burger mixing with the quality of the bacon.

although each alone is pure, together their impurities shine thru.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Wait, which is the first rule? Is it not to talk about Burger Club, or is it that there's NO FUCKING BIG NICK'S? This is really peeving me.

But there is a Big Nick's, there is! Big Nick's Burger Joint Too

You are right though, that the original broadway branch is simply called Burger Joint.

You are right though, that the original broadway branch is simply called Burger Joint.

If this is the place I'm thinking of, it's been immortalized in A Cool Breeze on the Underground by Don Winslow.

Maybe the appearance of burger joint in fiction should be one of the tie breakers? :laugh:

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I agree; burgers are about the beef. Bacon burgers are for those who like to eat bacon, and use a burger as an excuse to put the bacon on top. That's not a bad thing. I use many foods as an excuse to put ketchup on top. For burger tasting though, I take a plain piece of burger, chew it well and swallow.

Sort of like coffee - I have the first sip black to taste it, then add the milk and sweet stuff to make it taste better.

Though a LOT of coffee served needs at least milk to make it taste bearable.

If it's really good, there's no need to add anything.

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Jackson Hole has already been covered:

Have I been away from New York too long?  Not one person has suggested Jackson Hole?  Those used to be my favorite burgers back when I lived in the area...
i'll only suggest jackson hole because mr. lobel did.  other than that, i think it's for shit.  but i'll have to revisit it. :biggrin:
Oh yeah, no Jackson Hole for me either.  Sorry, Katie.
OK - I've definitely been away too long.  This cinches it.  If the burgers at Jackson Hole have gone downhill this much, I guess I won't ever go back  :sad:

OK...as self-appointed recording secretary of the first Burger Club, here's my fifteen-minute version of a burger evaluation sheet. It's just a starting point for the discussion...please, no flames! :smile:

Download the .pdf of the evaluation sheet here.

You'll need Adobe Acrobat to view the file.

I tried to incorporate the various bases for evaluation I found throughout this thread...any suggestions for additions/deletions?

The top part of the sheet is for recording the objective details, while the bottom part is for the subjective evaluation. Perhaps we could average each category (horizontally, across participants) and then total the categories at the bottom to produce a final "burger score."

Some notes:

:huh: Should there be a quorum for Burger Club, in order to make the results statistically valid?

:huh: Should each evaluative category (i.e. "Juiciness", "Freshness"...) be weighted equally?

:huh: "Seediness" refers to the bun and not to the establishment itself.

:huh: "Sloppiness" refers to the burger and not to your perception of fellow Club members.

OK..tear it apart. I'm off to the Union Square Market.

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Jackson Hole has already been covered:
Have I been away from New York too long?  Not one person has suggested Jackson Hole?  Those used to be my favorite burgers back when I lived in the area...
i'll only suggest jackson hole because mr. lobel did.  other than that, i think it's for shit.  but i'll have to revisit it.   :biggrin:
Oh yeah, no Jackson Hole for me either.  Sorry, Katie.
OK - I've definitely been away too long.  This cinches it.  If the burgers at Jackson Hole have gone downhill this much, I guess I won't ever go back  :sad:

Always helpful! :wub:

OK...as self-appointed recording secretary of the first Burger Club, here's my fifteen-minute version of a burger evaluation sheet.  It's just a starting point for the discussion...please, no flames!  :smile:

Download the .pdf of the evaluation sheet here.

You'll need Adobe Acrobat to view the file. 

I tried to incorporate the various bases for evaluation I found throughout this thread...any suggestions for additions/deletions?

The top part of the sheet is for recording the objective details, while the bottom part is for the subjective evaluation.  Perhaps we could average each category (horizontally, across participants) and then total the categories at the bottom to produce a final "burger score."

Some notes:

:huh: Should there be a quorum for Burger Club, in order to make the results statistically valid?

:huh: Should each evaluative category (i.e. "Juiciness", "Freshness"...) be weighted equally?

:huh: "Seediness" refers to the bun and not to the establishment itself.

:huh: "Sloppiness" refers to the burger and not to your perception of fellow Club members.

OK..tear it apart.  I'm off to the Union Square Market.

Jamie

Quorum good. How many? Odd numbers only.

Thank you for doing the chart.

MEAT QUALITY FIRST.

Molding is how it holds together? Or the shape?

Toastiness can also be not applicable. I don't mind an untoasted bun.

And what the hell is the ambience of a burger?

Quality of fries is NOT a tiebreaker. It's a separate issue. The burger is the burger, the fries are the fries. I mean, what it we have the most fantastic burger in every way, but it comes with a cup of pasta salad? This is Burger Club, not burger and fry club. If we consider the fries, we have to consider staff, environment, company, etc. The burger stands alone.

I think it's a great chart. When the final one is printed, can you blank out the vertical lines under each category for written comments?

I'm not sure about evaluating every category equally. I still think the meat comes first.

Anyone else?

Edited by elyse (log)