• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

Here are the suggestions so far:

Molly's

Smith & Wollensky's

Cafe Luxemburg

Tavern on Jane

Chumley's

Blue Smoke

Mchale's

Luger's

White Manna

Landmark Tavern

Burger Joint

PJ Clarke's

Fairway's

Old Town Bar

Corner Bistro :raz:

Any others?

The fries could certainly be a sub-category. They could serve as a tie-breaker in the event that we can't decide upon a "best" burger.

How often do we wanna do this? Every 2 weeks (at which rate we've already got 7 months of eating)?

Edited by sherribabee (log)
Sherri A. Jackson

You can make this an Atkin's friendly quest and eliminate the buns from the tasting. :raz:

This sounds like fun, but kashrut keeps me from participating.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

This sounds like fun, but kashrut keeps me from participating.

Please excuse my ignorance, but does this mean you can't eat in a place that isn't kosher?

Well, since we're in the midst of the "Days of Awe," I'm being super good and won't eat in any place that isn't certified Kosher. However, as we get further from this time of year, I tend to lapse into my old habits, and I'll eat vegetarian items only at non-kosher places. This usually means a lot of salads and tuna. I will never eat meat, chicken or sea food.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

i don't suppose the DB burger will make it to this list?

I thought that was taken off the menu? Or will be when the new chef, whassisname, takes the helm. What the heck is his name? Not to digress.......... [i'm up for lunch if it's lower manhattan]

Here are the suggestions so far:

Molly's

Smith & Wollensky's

Cafe Luxemburg

Tavern on Jane

Chumley's

Blue Smoke

Mchale's

Luger's

White Manna

Landmark Tavern

Burger Joint

PJ Clarke's

Fairway's

Old Town Bar

Corner Bistro  :raz:

Any others?

The fries could certainly be a sub-category. They could serve as a tie-breaker in the event that we can't decide upon a "best" burger.

How often do we wanna do this?  Every 2 weeks (at which rate we've already got 7 months of eating)?

Have I been away from New York too long? Not one person has suggested Jackson Hole? Those used to be my favorite burgers back when I lived in the area...

Is the Chumley's on your list that cool little pub that you have to cut through a courtyard to get to? You kinda have to know where it is, to know where it is?

Wish I could join all of you. Sounds like fun!

If anyone is travelling to Philadelphia I'll be happy to sample some burgers down here with you...I have a few personal faves already.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

i'll only suggest jackson hole because mr. lobel did. other than that, i think it's for shit. but i'll have to revisit it. :biggrin:

and as far as chumley's is concerned, you're showing your age katie...the entrance through the courtyard has been closed for some years now. :laugh: (although the door is still not marked, but let's face it, everyone knows where it is).

Burger Shack (A veritable truck stop in the exclusive confines of the Parker Meridian Hotel on 57th St. Only $4.50)

I thought they called it Burger Joint? The only real sign is a neon burger outside the entrance.

Big Nick's Burger Joint is called "Burger Joint" for anyone who's confused. The one in the hotel can be called "the other Burger joint," if you must, but I will call it the Parker Meridian.

So, are we all OK with initiating our quest at Molly's?

I can do lunchtime or dinnertime.  Week or weekend.  I'm flexible like that.  :smile:

Molly's it is.

As for time, if we do weekdays, pnapoli can't come, if it's weekends, tommy can't come. Who do we sacrifice?

Friday 1:00 isn't good for me. Saturday is possible.

How often do we wanna do this?  Every 2 weeks (at which rate we've already got 7 months of eating)?

I won't be going to Chumley's, Corner Bistro, or Fairway. Enjoy yourselves. :smile:

Burgers are burgers and fries are fries. The fries can tie break when we're figuring the best place, but not the best burger. The burger stands alone.

Every two weeks is good for me.

Oh yeah, no Jackson Hole for me either. Sorry, Katie.

Edited by elyse (log)

As for time, if we do weekdays, pnapoli can't come, if it's weekends, tommy can't come.  Who do we sacrifice?

UH oh...listen you guys, i realize that it's probably far more convenient for most of you to do these during the week, so don't worry about it. but, i do know that i'll be in the city at a seminar in midtown on 11/13 & 11/14 (thurs & fri), so if y'all don't mind planning that far in advance, maybe we can plan to get together on either one of those days? :smile:

If the purpose of the BC is to find the best burgers, then I think we can rule out the Old Town on 18th between Bway and Park Ave So.

However, if we are looking for reasonably priced, reasonably tasty burgers in friendly settings, then it should stay on the list.

Their upstairs dining room doesn't open till 5:30, unless there's a lunch session also.

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

whew, when you finally resolve this, and SOMEONE decides on something, please post the details, it sounds fun and I can try to schedule necessary NYC visits along with Burger visits..I, for one, would love a bufallo chicken wing club as well.

As for time, if we do weekdays, pnapoli can't come, if it's weekends, tommy can't come.  Who do we sacrifice?

UH oh...listen you guys, i realize that it's probably far more convenient for most of you to do these during the week, so don't worry about it. but, i do know that i'll be in the city at a seminar in midtown on 11/13 & 11/14 (thurs & fri), so if y'all don't mind planning that far in advance, maybe we can plan to get together on either one of those days? :smile:

Either of those days will be good for me.

and as far as chumley's is concerned, you're showing your age katie...

When my mother was a hostess at Shrafts and was dating my father, Chumley's was their regular hangout.

Crikey - I'm not THAT friggin' old! :laugh:

And yes - it's obviously been some time since I've been to Chumley's. I always thought that was such a cool pub. Semi-secret courtyard entrance being part of the mystique, of course. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol