• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

Oh yeah, no Jackson Hole for me either. Sorry, Katie.

OK - I've definitely been away too long. This cinches it. If the burgers at Jackson Hole have gone downhill this much, I guess I won't ever go back :sad:

Willing to name names, Katie?

Sure, Holly. I've always been a fan of Copa burgers. My usual order is the St. Tropez with Boursin cheese and sprouts. Other toppings as the mood strikes me.

The burgers at New Wave Cafe are very good too.

[Full disclosure - my employer owns the following restaurants as is evidenced in my signature]

Rouge and Bleu also make very tasty burgers. More of a glass-of-wine and burger type vibe in either place, rather than a burger-and-beer type vibe at my prior examples. On a side note: I just ordered a delicious Barbera for by-the-glass at Bleu to go with the burgers and steaks. Should be in later this week :smile:. Bleu (and Rouge) burgers are more expensive than either of the other choices, but large and prepared as ordered every time. The Bleu burgers come with Blue cheese and bacon, and very good skinny frites. Yummy!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

So... how about this week?  Anyone up for Thursday at 1:00?  Obviously we won't be able to include everyone every time.  Presumably we'll be able to make a good split between weekdays and weekends.

No Thursdays until after October 30th. Unless you want to go to one of the places I won't go to. After all, it's my idea to do this. :raz:

Oh yeah, no Jackson Hole for me either. Sorry, Katie.

OK - I've definitely been away too long. This cinches it. If the burgers at Jackson Hole have gone downhill this much, I guess I won't ever go back :sad:

Katie, I've only recently had the Jackson Hole burgers in Queens (near the airport) and in Englewood, NJ... but they certainly don't excite me that much anymore. Big and tasteless are the two words which come to mind when I think of Jackson Hole burgers these days.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Re Jackson Hole: I always go to the one on Columbus and 85th. Pretty good, I think. Always get the "Soul Burger" -- a bacon cheeseburger with sauteed onions and Canadian bacon. Like, at some point someone looked at a bacon cheeseburger and said, "that just doesn't have enough preserved pork on it." That is my kind of thinking!

Re setting a date/time: Could also do weekend eves upcoming. For that matter, I could do tomorrow at 1:00.

--

Re setting a date/time:  Could also do weekend eves upcoming.  For that matter, I could do tomorrow at 1:00.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (ugg, Friday too before 2:00) are out for me until the Bloomfield Farmer's Market closes October 30th. They are my baking/selling days. I was hopeful for a day or so that I could sneak out for a coup[le of hours,but then reality settled in.

Plus, we want pnapoli, and she can't do weekdays. Nights?

katie, i went to jackson hole today and it was better than i remembered.

Well there's a small vote of confidence, I guess. I always loved that HUGE pile of ground meat at the end of the grill, and the grillmeister using two old fashioned ice cream dishes as his "molds" for the as-big-as-two-fists-put- together burgers. Perhaps the quality of the ground meat has suffered over the years as their costs rose due to inflation, availability, portion size, etc.?

Sam - I think the one I used to frequent was the E. 64th locale. Not that it matters. It's been about 15 years since I had one...

I know you're all questoning my well trained palate now. They used to be good. Really. I swear! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Re setting a date/time:  Could also do weekend eves upcoming.  For that matter, I could do tomorrow at 1:00.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (ugg, Friday too before 2:00) are out for me until the Bloomfield Farmer's Market closes October 30th. They are my baking/selling days. I was hopeful for a day or so that I could sneak out for a coup[le of hours,but then reality settled in.

Plus, we want pnapoli, and she can't do weekdays. Nights?

So... basically we're talking about Monday lunches or weekends, yes?

I'd like to do a mix of both, myself. We don't want to leave out pnapoli, but we don't want to miss Tommy either. No doubt, they both have much hamburger wisdom to impart.

--

glenn Posted on Sep 30 2003, 07:29 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's all set for tomorrow at 1 PM at the Homestead, conveniently across the street from me. 

:laugh:

Go for it.

FG, want to join? Mr. Lurie?

Sam, Mondays anytime, Friday after 2, weekends. Open in November.