• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

early evening drinks in philly

arice

hi.

i'm looking for suggestions for early evening weekday drinks with a group of friends. i'm hoping to find some place where we can sit and talk, not stand and scream. i'm open to old city, art museum and center city suggestions....

is there a larger brew pub in the vicinity of reading terminal? if so, does it fit into my requirements and can anyone recommend it?

thanks,

allison

Independence Brew Pub is actually opposite the Reading Terminal Market, but it is under the old terminal, with the entrance on Filbert Street between 11th and 12th streets.

Jack's Firehouse in Fairmount Avenue near the Art Museum is the quietest of the neighborhood watering spots. I like London Grill and Rembrandt's, too, but they can get a bit noisy.

Of course, the the high-end hotel lounges usually provide relaxing spots to talk and imbibe, i.e., Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

that's sorta what you meant, cinghiale. :biggrin:

independence isn't actually in the reading terminal.

it's across filbert st. from the back of reading terminal, in the headhouse.

but in the reading terminal, there is the beer garden, towards the eastern side.

but independence would be a better choice, though.

if you sit in the main bar part, you will sit and scream, especially if a large party.

i'd recommend the dining room, either the part next to main bar, or the section nearer the market st side.

there's also the upstairs pool table area.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I can't recommend Independence Brew Pub... the quality of their beer when I've tried it has been very disappointing. Not what one would expect from a brewpub. Nodding Head has much better beer and the atmosphere is a lot nicer -- Victorian living room vs. Independence's airplane hangar.

You might also try Caribou Cafe, 1126 Walnut. It's classy, hip, not terribly noisy, and a great bar. They have good beer both on tap and in bottles (e.g. La Chouffe, Maudite, Fin du Monde, Chimay) and mix a great drink.

I can't recommend Independence Brew Pub... the quality of their beer when I've tried it has been very disappointing.  Not what one would expect from a brewpub.  Nodding Head has much better beer and the atmosphere is a lot nicer -- Victorian living room vs. Independence's airplane hangar.

You might also try Caribou Cafe, 1126 Walnut.  It's classy, hip, not terribly noisy, and a great bar.  They have good beer both on tap and in bottles (e.g. La Chouffe, Maudite, Fin du Monde, Chimay) and mix a great drink.

As with almost any brewpub (even Nodding Head and Manayunk), it helps to know what's good and what's not so good. At Independence, thier Kolsch and Porter are absolutely world class, while their other beers are good, but not terribly exciting. At Nodding Head, it's the stronger stuff that excels, like Old Willy's Ghost Barleywine and their Grog and Ich Bin Berliner Weisse.

While Nodding Head is cozier than the sprawling Independence, it can also get quite smoky, hardly a good environment for sampling good beer. Independence has the largest continuous bar in the city, and there are plenty of convenient spaces for quiet conversation, with little chance of heavy smoke infiltration.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

As with almost any brewpub (even Nodding Head and Manayunk), it helps to know what's good and what's not so good.  At Independence, thier Kolsch and Porter are absolutely world class, while their other beers are good, but not terribly exciting.  At Nodding Head, it's the stronger stuff that excels, like Old Willy's Ghost Barleywine and their Grog and Ich Bin Berliner Weisse.

That's good to know that they're making some good beer at Independence. It's rare that I actively dislike an IPA or an Irish red ale, but the last few times I've sampled those at Independence, I've been disappointed. Underhopped, slightly stale, and (in the case of the red) almost cloying. I'll be sure to try the porter or Kolsch next time I find myself there. I have to concede that it's a good place to play pool or darts, but it's still not my cup of tea for a conversation-friendly bar.

thanks to everyone for these good brewpub suggestions... i imagine there are other, non-brewpub places that folks can recommend. i'm open to other suggestions if you have them!

thanks much,

allison

In the Art Museum area I would heartily recommend BRIDGID'S at 24th and Meredith, for both its civility and its warm, simple atmosphere; very good wines and beers there too. And very good bar food!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 2 weeks later...

In the Fairmount section I would also recommend The Bishop's Collar. A lovely neighborhood pub in the English style with a pretty good selection of beers and ales. On a nice evening sit outside at one of their tables and take in the passerbys and city as you converse and imbibe. Depending on the night, inside it can get noisy since it is a smaller, cozy place. The staff are very friendly and you can even pick up one of their nice shirts that say Bishops Collar on the front and "saved by the pint" on the back.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."