• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monster Sushi & Steak

allanl

Hi,

I'm new to eGullet and look forward to contributing to this forum as well as hearing about all of your culinary adventures!

I recall that the owner of Monster Shushi asked for our feedback some many posts ago.

Well, I had dinner there with my partner in December. The sushi was fresh, imaginative and well-prepared. The green tea was hot (have you ever noticed how some Japanese restaurants can't seem to serve theirs anything but luke warm?) and the "monster" sushi dishes were so much fun to eat from!

Our only complaint: The negima rolls were "Monster" rolls in every way. In fact, I challenge anyone to get their mouth around these negima and eat them in one bite. These negima were so wide and so stuffed with scallions that they required a fork and a knife. That ruined the experience for me. I like the M&M type of negima that are soft, juicy and small enough to pop into your mouth.

I will definitely return to Monster sushi, but I will not be ordering the negima.

Hope you all have fun when you meet at Monster Sushi.

Janbee

Lover of Broadway, beaches and chocolate.

We just got back from the new Monster Sushi in Pompton Lakes. First strike against it was no liquor license. Now, usually I love BYOB's since I prefer bringing my own wine, but I don't drink wine with sushi, and not having a bar was a bit of a bummer for me. But, moving on, the food was pretty good. We ordered beef negima and fried gyoza as apps, both of which were good, if not searing hot. For dinner I got Chirashi and Amy got a few rolls. The rolls she got weren't the ones she ordered, but she enjoyed them anyway. My chirashi was ok. I like my rice a little vinegary, and this rice didn't seem to have any vinegar. The fish was fresh, but the pieces were too big and unwieldy. Not the end of the world though...

All in all, it was ok. Nothing super, and without a bar it falls short of other sushi joints in the area. Our local fave continues to be Sakeruko on rt23 in Little Falls.

Ant

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Just checked out the web-site. Pretty much staight forward stuff. Has anyone contacted them about a tasting menu?

I'm in charge of Facino's menu so I'll step back on this one.

Sorry--you know more about sushi than me so you are in charge. I think they have a "tasting" menu. But as soon as we are firmed up on the #'s you can call them.

I'm bringing wine to drink.

They are in Summit across the street from Adagio. Best to call or use map quest. Summit can be gotten to via Rt 24.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE