• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: NYC Mexican Favorites

jhlurie

I had a couple of tacos at L'Esquina last week. They were ok, but nothing special.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

There's another one very close to these two called Del Valle on 10th btwn 46/47).  I've heard and read it's amazing.  Anyone know it?

Yeah. "Del Valle" (there's actually a first word in the name, before "Del Valle", which begins with "T" and which I can't tell you) is a really good place. It serves Pueblan/Oaxacan (or maybe it's just Pueblan -- I don't know enough to know) cuisine, based on moles that are made fresh every morning. The moles are incredibly good.

I'd give this place a high recommendation.

Before you call a restaurant like this "amazing", however, you have to put it in context. The prices are very low (the good part) and, as a consequence, the quality of the meats they use is very low (the bad part). Of course, the low quality of the meats is masked, to an extent, by the fabulous moles. Nevertheless, while I'd say "'T' del Valle" serves non pareil cheap food, you shouldn't go in there expecting anything more than that.

Tulcingo Del Valle. yes it is every bit "amazing" cheap or not. I've never been in the place but a friend lives nearby and I visit him just so we can order in...

These threads are making me nutz. I'm not even that into Mexican! After all this I'm dying for a soft pork taco with all the fixins! Then I want to walk over to the other two and compare. If only that transit strike went down. I would've hookeyed work, walked over and stalked them until opening. Damn threads will make you hallucinate like that bugs bunny cartoon when he's marooned on the island with those two guys who keep morphing into a hamburger and hotdog! Does anyone remember that? Nutz I tell you.

That wasn't chicken

There's another one very close to these two called Del Valle on 10th btwn 46/47).  I've heard and read it's amazing.  Anyone know it?

Not to dwell on the Rosa vs. Torres argument but I agree with the Torres fans.  Though the cuisines are totally different, still, you cannot mention the two in the same sentence.  Sue's a well respected creative chef turning out amazing food.  Rosa (with it's now 3 locations?) has decent food w/a flair and nice looking bars/dining rooms....that's it.

What's her level of involvement at Hell's Kitchen? I still think that place is tops and why isn't it mentioned more in this thread?

She used to cook there, and at the Rocking Horse. The only restaurant I believe she has any ongoing involvement at all with at this point is Suenos.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Is Rosa Mexicano being considered as good food here? I am confused, are we talking about that shitty trendy restaurant where people go for frozen drinks and Guacamole.. Or is there some other Rosa?

Obviously, I'm a huge Torres sympathizer around here, but I'm just as confused as you by the appeal of Rosa Mexicano.

It isn't good.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Daniel, I mentioned waaay earlier on this (I think) thread that the only upscale mexican restaurant in manhattan that we like is Mama Mexico on Bway and 102 (irritating strolling singers or not). Los Paisas deli around the corner on Amsterdam is definitely the best cheap authentic, and del Valle is a very close second. However, I've been working on my carnitas, mole and posole recipes so that's been keeping us in more than out!

Just the phrase, "soft pork taco." damn, is there anything better?

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Mama Mexico today with the kids. I was hungover and thinking tequilla and chiles and my wife worked until 2ish so neither of us wanted to stay in and cook.

I'm losing faith and near convinced that there are no decent mexican places outside of taco joints like San Loco in NY. None that compare to even an average place in Cali.

We were asked to enjoy the complimentary quacamole served and prepared into mush (they did not forget the extra salt though :hmmm: ) and then later tried to charged $12.

Had to ask the guy for a menu 4 times. He insisted on running through beverage, chips and salsa, quacamole service and the specials sales pitch before conceding to that request.

The queso fundido was 30% burnt and 70% onions, the mole tasted like burnt pot bottom and the tamales were just awful.

Long rant short and $150 bucks later I wished I did a drive through style run downtown to San Loco for $40.

-Mike & Andrea

Personal favorite is Mi Cocina on Jane Street in the West Village - classic and modern twist cuisine from Oaxaca and the Yucatan pennisula.

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Casa SaltShaker - Restaurant de Puertas Cerradas

Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary - a must for any traveler!

Rosa Mexicana is always a great place....tableside guacamole!

I'm treating a friend to a no-holds-barred Mexican feast in Manhattan in a few weeks and need some tips on where to go. Doesn't need to be elegant and pricy, but some atmosphere would be nice. Thanks!

No offense, but I don't think Rosa Mexicana is any good at all.

A few years ago, I'd have recommended Maya, but that place is getting pretty tired. Now, I'd say Centrico (in Tribeca). If you don't mind limiting yourself to fish, Pampano is also very good.

In an effort to beat a dead horse, if you want great guacamole made near your table (you could probably ask for a table near the guacamole lady) go to Suenos. Their food is phenomenal, too.

• 1 month later...

Matamoros Puebla in Williamsburg is closing... or, more correctly, is being sold by the owners. I can't really blame them, it's prime Bedford real estate, and they will probably be able to retire with what they'll get from it, but I don't know what I'm going to do without their tacos and sopes. It will be a sad day when they shut the doors for good (not sure when that will be). Go while you can.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

• 2 months later...

La Cocina on the 80's and Broadway is pretty good...Lively and entertaining spot. They serve an everything burrito which my husband loves...Seafood, Poultry and Beef...

Now there are authentic Mexican restaurants who remain unchanged, or adjusted to our palates. You should try them out for some excellent food. They are normally a hole in the wall kind of place, but food is good. There tacos, sopes, burritos and milanesas are excellent. I can't have spicy food, but on my husbands account, their food is undilluted.

Went to Mama Mexico today with the kids.  I was hungover and thinking tequilla and chiles and my wife worked until 2ish so neither of us wanted to stay in and cook.

I'm losing faith and near convinced that there are no decent mexican places outside of taco joints like San Loco in NY.  None that compare to even an average place in Cali.

We were asked to enjoy the complimentary quacamole served and prepared into mush (they did not forget the extra salt though  :hmmm: ) and then later tried to charged $12.

Had to ask the guy for a menu 4 times.  He insisted on running through beverage, chips and salsa, quacamole service and the specials sales pitch before conceding to that request.

The queso fundido was 30% burnt and 70% onions, the mole tasted like burnt pot bottom and the tamales were just awful.

Long rant short and $150 bucks later I wished I did a drive through style run downtown to San Loco for $40.

Instead of Mama Mexico (which I really don't like) there's always La Tacqueria y la fonda, 107 and Amsterdam. Very authentic hole-in-the-wall Mexican place. Great chicken and pretty cheap.

I was at Rocking Horse the other night, and the food was terrific (margaritas weren't bad, either!). :wink:

I didn't experience any of the issues mentioned upthread, which were posted a while back. I'd go there again.