• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: NYC Mexican Favorites

jhlurie

I believe that was when we made the decision to check out Mama Mexico for the first time....we were looking for a 'nice' place to go,  and that one came highly recommended by a lot of our friends,  especially since we both work nearby. 

do u mean the mama mexico on east side of bwy @ 101st, with the irritating 3pc strolling "musicians"?

Also the original La Palapa, on St. Mark's just west of First Ave. (although I haven't been there in a year or so)

do not claim to be an aficionado of mexican, although like very much, but thought la palapa was simply terrible. maybe because its what is described as "real" mexican food, or is it mexican food that the mexicans serve the gringos, but never eat themselves, & laugh at y'all in the kitchen :biggrin:

Edited by jgould (log)

There's a truck that parks on W.96th just west of Broadway that I've heard is good and very downscale.  A lot of Mexicans who live in the area grab food there.

Can anyone comment on it?  All I know is that it smells pretty good.

The food at 'the truck' is fantastic and very reasonably priced. I used to walk from CU at least twice per week for it. The only bad thing is that there's no place in the area for one to comfortably sit. Get the taco

how many trucks are there on bwy???

1. on 96th, just W. of bwy?

2. bet 104/105th?

can anyone fill-in-the-blanks???

So what's the latest?

Any new favourites?

Planning a visit next month and already booked Rosa Mex, but any other new suggestions?

don't waste your time, or money!

jgould, I really enjoy Rosa Mexicano - I think it is still one of the more authentic Mexican restaurants in NY - and as for the prices, I find it pretty comparable to any restaurant of that level, regardless of the cuisine...

Not really looking for the taco truck experience this time, that I can easily make that here, it's the complex sauces for which I cannot find ingredients here that I'm after in NYC -

jeanki, thanks I'll look into both your recs...!

good luck with your meal @ RM's & hope u enjoy, REALLY. surprised u had to book so far in advance, particularly since rktman alluded to short waits???

btw, the taco trucks beat RM's everytime when its 3am, AND one "may" have had a few too many margaritas or senoritas, & one hasn't eaten for a # of hrs :smile:

Edited by jgould (log)

Ah, but there are plenty of traditional dishes on the Suenos menu, and they're vastly better than Rosa Mexicano.

Some, maybe, but I still don't find that Suenos has the typical Mexican taste that I want from my childhood - while Rosa Mex does - the traditional dishes of Mexico, made in a traditional way.

And as I don't have time right now to go back home, Rosa Mex is it.

Torres has some very interesting mixes of flavours and new methods of concocting traditional dishes and using ingredients in different ways, but when you want pure tradition....

jgould, don't be surprised I booked so far in advance, it just hows you how much I want to have dinner there... and as for the trucks, I will say my comment again, apples and oranges - would you say that Papaya King or a hot dog stand on Fifth is better than Union Square Cafe? It is if you want a hot dog - as I'm sure the trucks are better as you say, if you want a taco at 3 in the morning... but the taco truck will not prepare you mixiotes de cordero or clemole... right?

As for the comment "don't forget, this still is, at the end of the day, mexican food " why would you say that? Do you assume that Mexican food is cheaper to prepare than Chinese, Japanese, etc? How do you figure that?

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Some, maybe, but I still don't find that Suenos has the typical Mexican taste that I want from my childhood - while Rosa Mex does - the traditional dishes of Mexico, made in a traditional way.

That's what makes horseracing, as they say.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Ah, but there are plenty of traditional dishes on the Suenos menu, and they're vastly better than Rosa Mexicano.

Suenos is the same as her other two places. Going for scene and crowd more than the food. Never found what everyone thinks is so great about hells kitchen. I live in the hood and have eaten there occasionnally but Rosa is much better and usually less of a wait .

RM

Considering that she only has one restaurant, I think it's entirely possible you're thinking of somewhere else entirely... and as jgould noted, Suenos isn't in Hells Kitchen. And it's hardly a "scene" kind of place...

Actually Im quite sure she was the chef at Hells Kitchen and Rocking Horse. Could it be your wrong? Maybe do some fact checking before you post.

RM

She WAS the chef at those places. She currently has no relationship to them any more, they're not her restaurants. Maybe you should check your facts before you go accusing other people of anything and go shooting your mouth off in a public forum.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

She WAS the chef at those places.  She currently has no relationship to them any more, they're not her restaurants.  Maybe you should check your facts before you go accusing other people of anything and go shooting your mouth off in a public forum.

Yes, and as i said, i think the food is the same as the other two places. That is all i said and then i was told she only has one place. I dont disagree and never did. I made mention of the other two places b/c they are very very similar in food. That is the thing, i did check my facts and knew she was the chef at the other two places.

She WAS the chef at those places.  She currently has no relationship to them any more, they're not her restaurants.  Maybe you should check your facts before you go accusing other people of anything and go shooting your mouth off in a public forum.

Dryden,

I reread my post to you....i should have added the word "prior" before the words "two places".

sorry for any confusion this caused you. I guess i figured since we all knew of the chef, we also knew where she cooked before. Ill spell it out for you next time.

sorry.

RM

• 1 month later...

Ok everybody what are your suggestions for authentic mexican food in nyc , i dont mean the most expensive. Im talking about sopes, al pastor, lengua, chicharon, carnitas, fresh tortillas not the fancified east coast version of mexican food. I recently re located to nyc from Los Angeles home of the best mexican food in the US. My gf and i have a sinking feeling that good mx food isnt avalible here please prove me wrong, i dont want to have to travel 3000 miles for a 5 dollar meal.

Ok everybody what are your suggestions for authentic mexican food in nyc , i dont mean the most expensive. Im talking about sopes, al pastor, lengua, chicharon, carnitas, fresh tortillas not the fancified east coast version of mexican food. I recently re located to nyc from Los Angeles home of the best mexican food in the US. My gf and i have a sinking feeling that good mx food isnt avalible here please prove me wrong, i dont want  to have to travel 3000 miles for a 5 dollar meal.

There's a real deal taco joint on Broadway & Cresent (Astoria, Queens). Sorry, I don't know the name but there's dive bar named Dillon next door. They are known for their al pastor, canitas and lengua. Walk down the block there's Tulchinga. There costillla con salsa verde is awesome.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

The best Mexican food in New York is found in outer-borough locales (Queens and Brooklyn), but one need not traipse that far to find more authentic fare. A sizeable chunk of New York's Mexican population is from Puebla and its surrounding areas, the birthplace of "true" Mexican cuisine, a subject of debate outside the considerations of this post. The best taqueria in Manhattan I have found thus far is Taco Mix, which is located on 116th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues, as it is one of the few joints that not only uses a comal but also has a mise-en-place for toppings and sauces (a sign of freshness; important for depth-of-flavor).

I have yet to find a place that specializes in tacos al pastor, so it should be considered an afterthought, since none carry the vertical rotisserie spiked with pork, pineapple and onion.

il

As a fellow LA transplant I suggest Taqueria y Fonda (968 Amsterdam Ave, btwn 107th and 108th).

Tehuitzingo Deli and Grocery (695 10th Ave, btwn 47th and 48th) is also good for tacos.

Once things thaw out there's a Latin Futbol league out in Red Hook Park (Brooklyn) ever weekend you should check out for the street food action along the sides.

Taqueria y Fonda ain't bad, but a couple of visits there have resulted in rather severe intestinal distress afterward... buyer beware.

As a fellow LA transplant I suggest Taqueria y Fonda (968 Amsterdam Ave, btwn 107th and 108th).

Tehuitzingo Deli and Grocery (695 10th Ave, btwn 47th and 48th) is also good for tacos.

Once things thaw out there's a Latin Futbol league out in Red Hook Park (Brooklyn) ever weekend you should check out for the street food action along the sides.

I'm not sure if it was just you or a couple of other people who mentioned Tehuitzingo, but I live in the neighborhood and had no idea, finally checked it out 2 weeks ago. The tacos were GREAT. You know you're getting the good stuff when you see all the Mexican delivery guys going THERE.

To top that off, I bought a couple pounds of their marinated enchilada meat, cooked it up with black beans and rice etc., and have been bringing the most wonderful burritos in for work every day. The enchilada pork meat is marinated in red chile with hints of mole and some smokiness - the amount of flavor this imparts breaks some laws of physics. Really great.

I also bought some corn tortillas and reverse engineered their tacos. But for 4 bucks, if I can I just go there.

Thank you Egullet!

Speaking of Tehuitzingo Deli, there is another Deli in the Neighborhood.. Its called La Rosita and its like a half a block east of the Acura Service Department, on 47th I think.. I have only been there for breakfast and ordered a really good chorizo and egg sandwich.. But they have seating in the back and sell tacos for lunch.. Has anyone been?

La Rosita Grocery

526 West 47th Street (betw 10th & 11th)

New York, NY 10036

212-397-1137

There's another one very close to these two called Del Valle on 10th btwn 46/47). I've heard and read it's amazing. Anyone know it?

Not to dwell on the Rosa vs. Torres argument but I agree with the Torres fans. Though the cuisines are totally different, still, you cannot mention the two in the same sentence. Sue's a well respected creative chef turning out amazing food. Rosa (with it's now 3 locations?) has decent food w/a flair and nice looking bars/dining rooms....that's it.

That wasn't chicken

There's another one very close to these two called Del Valle on 10th btwn 46/47).  I've heard and read it's amazing.  Anyone know it?

Yeah. "Del Valle" (there's actually a first word in the name, before "Del Valle", which begins with "T" and which I can't tell you) is a really good place. It serves Pueblan/Oaxacan (or maybe it's just Pueblan -- I don't know enough to know) cuisine, based on moles that are made fresh every morning. The moles are incredibly good.

I'd give this place a high recommendation.

Before you call a restaurant like this "amazing", however, you have to put it in context. The prices are very low (the good part) and, as a consequence, the quality of the meats they use is very low (the bad part). Of course, the low quality of the meats is masked, to an extent, by the fabulous moles. Nevertheless, while I'd say "'T' del Valle" serves non pareil cheap food, you shouldn't go in there expecting anything more than that.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

There's another one very close to these two called Del Valle on 10th btwn 46/47).  I've heard and read it's amazing.  Anyone know it?

Not to dwell on the Rosa vs. Torres argument but I agree with the Torres fans.  Though the cuisines are totally different, still, you cannot mention the two in the same sentence.  Sue's a well respected creative chef turning out amazing food.  Rosa (with it's now 3 locations?) has decent food w/a flair and nice looking bars/dining rooms....that's it.

What's her level of involvement at Hell's Kitchen? I still think that place is tops and why isn't it mentioned more in this thread?

Speaking of Tehuitzingo Deli, there is another Deli in the Neighborhood.. Its called La Rosita and its like a half a block east of the Acura Service Department, on 47th I think.. I have only been there for breakfast and ordered a really good chorizo and egg sandwich.. But they have seating in the back and sell tacos for lunch.. Has anyone been?

La Rosita Grocery 

526 West 47th Street  (betw 10th & 11th)

New York, NY 10036 

212-397-1137

Just walked over for lunch and wasn't too impressed. They cook off a griddle behind the front counter and were surprised when came in looking for tacos. Selection is much more limited when it comes to tacos (Beef, Salted Beef, Spicy Beef, Steak, Tongue, Chicken or Chorizo) but they also do burgers and sandwiches. A co-worker and I tried the Beef, Steak, Spicy Beef, and Chicken. The spicy beef was the best of the 4 we tried and the chicken was the worst (bland chopped up chicken breast). We ended up walking back over to Tehuitzingo afterwards to satisfy our taco craving.