• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: NYC Mexican Favorites

jhlurie

suzanne, i used to love los dos rancheros.  but i've found they've gone downhill since they're remodeled (and possibly changed hands).  have you been in the past year?

It's now called Salon Mexico. It's not bad, but no great shakes.

is it really? then they changed their name yet again. it was something after Los Dos Rancheros. i miss the days of going to LDR for "cheap tacos" and then hitting the bellevue across the street til all hours. a perfect night.

Edited by tommy (log)

is it really? then they changed their name yet again. it was something after Los Dos Rancheros. i miss the days of going to LDR for "cheap tacos" and then hitting the bellevue across the street til all hours. a perfect night.

Yes, really. I'm looking at a takeout menu right now. I've found the tacos to be on the dry side, but their enchiladas mole is surpringly tasty. Authentic, I don't know.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Yes, really. I'm looking at a takeout menu right now. I've found the tacos to be on the dry side, but their enchiladas mole is surpringly tasty. Authentic, I don't know.

no its not..

Salon Mexico is a higher end mexican located on 26th between 3rd and lex..

http://www.salonmexiconyc.com

no its not..

Salon Mexico is a higher end mexican located on 26th between 3rd and lex..

http://www.salonmexiconyc.com

Yes, it is. I'm looking at the takeout menu RIGHT NOW. 507 9th Avenue. I'm not doubting that there is another restaurant in NY called this, but that's what they're calling it. It's a recent menu, from the last six weeks. Call them and see how they answer the phone: 212 868 7780.

EDIT: juiceman, didn't notice until just now that you brought up the upscale Salon Mexico in your post above.

Edited by bpearis (log)

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

If Los Dos Rancheros became Salon Mexico less than 2 months ago, then the owner of Salon Mexico on 26th Street (which is the only one with that name that I know of) does indeed have a case. The 26th St. place has had that name long enough to be listed as such in the 2003 TONY Eating and Drinking Guide, which means it's at least a year old.

There's a truck that parks on W.96th just west of Broadway that I've heard is good and very downscale.  A lot of Mexicans who live in the area grab food there.

Can anyone comment on it?

I've commented on it previously, but I'm too lazy to do a search to find my own posts. I recall posting under the heading "Super Tacos Sobre Ruedas," which is what the taco truck calls itself (? funny phrasing, eh?).

Michael aka "Pan"

i wonder what each is officially called.

either way, i'm probably not returning to the one on 9th  :sad:  and perhaps i'll try the one on 26th, as i've never heard of it til today.

fyi: they hollow out limes, fill them with tequila and then float the extra shots in their margaritas..

If Los Dos Rancheros became Salon Mexico less than 2 months ago, then the owner of Salon Mexico on 26th Street (which is the only one with that name that I know of) does indeed have a case.  The 26th St. place has had that name long enough to be listed as such in the 2003 TONY Eating and Drinking Guide, which means it's at least a year old.

Definitely more than a year old, Suzanne. I wrote a review of it in June 2002, and it had been open a while before that.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...hl=salon+mexico

Another suggestion: Sue Torres' new Suenos. (She was formerly chef at Rocking Horse and Hell's Kitchen.) Haven't been yet. Tried to get in a few weeks ago, but they were booked. Here's a positive review from Adam Platt in NY Magazine:

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/food/r...143//index.html

Los Dos Molinos near Irving Place if you like it REALLY spicy,

There is a lady who runs a shop specializing in Hot & Spicy foods in nearby Red Bank and she also recommends Los Dos Molinos. 119 East 18th St. (212 505-1574). Am anxious to try it myself... firesmile.gif

i am in the area. can you tell me more about the place in red bank?

I'd second the notion that none of the NYC places are on the level of Topolobambo. I enjoy Zarela and Rosa Mexicano (yes, the guacamole is the highlight there), but they are not on the same level. Since you will be downtown, Zarela's son has a place a couple of blocks from 71 Clinton, and while I don't think it's a stricly Mexican place, perhaps someone can post the name and an opinion.

Barrio Chino, a new tequila bar in chinatown, will soon have food if it doesn't already:

Broome bet. Orchard & Ludlow

Edited by Elissa (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

There's a truck that parks on W.96th just west of Broadway that I've heard is good and very downscale.  A lot of Mexicans who live in the area grab food there.

Can anyone comment on it?  All I know is that it smells pretty good.

The food at 'the truck' is fantastic and very reasonably priced. I used to walk from CU at least twice per week for it. The only bad thing is that there's no place in the area for one to comfortably sit. Get the taco

:D

The food at 'the truck' is fantastic and very reasonably priced. I used to walk from CU at least twice per week for it. The only bad thing is that there's no place in the area for one to comfortably sit. Get the taco

You can sit on a bench in the mall at the B'way and 95th street intersection. Or, Symphony Space has a ledge that people sit on.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

the sopes are a relatively new addition to the menu and pretty damn good as well..

• 3 months later...

Anyone have an opinion on Hat vs. El Nuevo Amanecer vs. Festival? For dinner tonight.

Don't tell me to go the couple extra blocks to Tres Aztecas--with the -10 wind chill we're supposed to have, my friends would kill me.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I won't tell you to go to Tres Aztecas, anyway. I used to like the place until I had some food there that was so salty it was practically inedible.

Unfortunately, I don't think I've tried any of the places you mention. I'll be eager to read a meal report on whichever place you do end up at.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 1 month later...

It appears as if this thread has been dead for awhile. To pick it up I am surprised that Cafe Frida (UWS) and Suenos where not mentioned. The Mole Negro (on a half chicken), at Cafe Frida is the best in the city, really the best in the country I've had. ( I used to live in the Bay Area, and in Colorado)

It is not easy to call one Mexican Restaurant more <<Authentic>> than another. I believe this because whenever I've traveled in Mexico I was hard pressed to find haute-cuisine, or even much that was close. Thus restaurant food (with a few exceptions) was just a bit above the street food. (Which is not to say I didn't taste any toothsome meals) Granted I travelled many times to Mexico when I was younger and more broke. Nonetheless my impression was that outside <<el De Effe>> and Guadalajara, there wasn't much in terms of a middle class. Not many who could afford to cook the authentic cuisine of their country nor their region. And what filled the void, even in the many homes I was graciously invited into was a sort of generic cuisine, mexican style. Sort of like here, I believe in many of our homes, including middle and upper-class homes, the cooking that occurs on a daily basis is not <<Authentic>>American, rather a generic, inexpensive, often bland American. It is only in the homes of eGullet members and other foodies, nicer restaurants, and the occasional diner that a real <<Authentic>> cuisine emerges So what is more authentic than something else? I perfer to go to those places that serve food that sings, reguardless of the <<Authentic>>origins or not.

I realize this thread is about NYC, but New Rochelle, just north of New York has several excellent Mexican restaurants (by New York standards, at least). On North Avenue, Las Cazuelas (recently renamed to El Gran Rodeo) is very good. Also worth eating at are "Mexican Corner" and "El Michoacan".

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."