• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexplicable/strange cravings

fifi

Oh, Petite, I can't wait to try it! :smile: My 10 year old grandson likes lea & perrins too. As well as mustard on his scrambled eggs, and his favorite treat is shusi. I have other grandchildren who only want peanut butter and grape jelly on wonder bread. :hmmm: I dunno!

Every time this topic comes back up near top, I just want a pronto pup (corn dog to those who do not visit the MN State Fair). Not just one pronto pup, but several.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

And yet again we drift into normal cravings as opposed to incredible cravings.

Sheesh.. This thread seems to have an incredible life. :biggrin: Remember the definition of incredible... don't like it, never eaten it, strikes from the blue.

As a matter of record, the corndog and fishstick craving has not returned. I await my fate. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Perhaps you didn't quite understand me. I said cinnamon sugar. I didn't say anything else. NOTHING else. OK, it's borderline, I'll admit, because I've never disliked cinnamon sugar in the past. But in the past I've always eaten it ON things, or IN things. This... this is different.

OH! You mean just eating cinnamon sugar by the spoonful! That is kind of different.

I remember, as a very young child, hanging out in my grandmother's kitchen (actually sitting on the floor under the Duncan Phyfe dining table that was in the large room... weird child I was) eating various concoctions that she made for me. One of them was cinnamon sugar. I would lick my finger and dip it into the little bowl then lick it off. Other offerings were sugar blended into butter, cocao powder and sugar blended with butter. These were the "finger foods" of my youth.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

OH! You mean just eating cinnamon sugar by the spoonful! That is kind of different.

I remember, as a very young child, hanging out in my grandmother's kitchen (actually sitting on the floor under the Duncan Phyfe dining table that was in the large room... weird child I was) eating various concoctions that she made for me. One of them was cinnamon sugar. I would lick my finger and dip it into the little bowl then lick it off. Other offerings were sugar blended into butter, cocao powder and sugar blended with butter. These were the "finger foods" of my youth.

Not by the spoonful! By the finger method, exactly as you describe it from your childhood. Surprisingly efficient, if one is determined enough.

I have distinct memories of mixing cinnamon sugar with butter into a paste and eating that by the spoonful. I also crave that from time to time.

Oh yes, that too - fifi's chocolate version reminded me of that. But... is that incredibly weird? Don't know. But now I'm starting to crave it too. Oh, hell.

We were told that this was the way to make cinnamon toast. So after mixing it up and eating a little to make sure there was enough cinnamon, I'd spread it at least 1/2 inch thick on the top of toast and put it under the broiler, and lick the bowl. Then before the surface could even begin to even sizzle, I'd remove it and eat it thick and cold and good like that. Even better in the heel of the bread when you can really mound it in there.

Since I had not yet found the world of egullet I wasn't around when this thread began. However the timing seems right for my corndog craving last year. I went to every hot dog joint / gyros stand in the area and couldn't find one. Finally I bought a box at the local grocer and indulged.

Personally, my strange craving is for the jalepeno cheeseburgers from White Castle. On a normal day these would repulse me, but when the mood hits I'll go and by a case of 30 and eat until my gut bursts.

Also, lately I have been craving cream cheese with Pickapeppa Sauce. I haven't had it since I moved to Chicago from Houston(17 years ago), but I really want some. Anyone know where I can get my hands on Pickapeppa sauce?

Flip

"Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be happy."

-Ben Franklin-

Every once in a while I do get a craving for a hot dog, with or without corn. I put them on my "hot dog maker", aka my George Foreman Grill. That's the only thing that damn machine is good for! It makes awesome hot dogs. I like to use my leftover Chinese take-out hot mustard packs on them. Damn, I think I've cursed myself... bring me a hot dog!!! Anyway, the only other things that I crave on a regular basis are cottage cheese and those damned Totino's pizzas.

To bring the thread back on track (before fifi pops in here to do the same), the craving is supposed to be for something you've never ever eaten or wanted to eat before but suddenly now you do (and, no, you're not pregnant).

I had one recently: liver sausage. During college, I used to work at a not-to-be-named cheese store in the shopping mall that sold the stuff. I couldn't stand dishing the samples out to the customers. Blecch. It reminded me too much of canned dog food.

So last week I'm in the supermarket and there it is. Somehow it lept into my grocery cart. Not a good sign. I got home and tried it on some bacon flavored crackers (that's what we put the samples on at the cheese store).

Blecch! :blink:

I suddenly realized my craving for liver sausage was in error. It was the bacon flavored crackers I'd been craving.

[HOMER SIMPSON] DOH! [/HOMER SIMPSON]

Anyone want some liver sausage? :hmmm:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

To bring the thread back on track (before fifi pops in here to do the same), the craving is supposed to be for something you've never ever eaten or wanted to eat before but suddenly now you do (and, no, you're not pregnant).

Exactly... normally, the smell of a hot dog will send me into a gastronomic tailspin. Even after the craving has been sated, I have to deal with the aftertaste and then de-funk my kitchen. Same with the cottage cheese. The first few bites are enjoyable and satisfying, but then I become aware of the texture and the smell... :wacko: The pizzas are just a guilty pleasure. :raz:

A couple times a year I get an overwhelming craving for brown sugar. It's not that I don't like brown sugar, it's just that when this happens I will eat huge spoonfuls piled high one after the other until I can't eat any more. I've even had to leave late at night once to get a new bag.

on vacation i was craving cereal with milk - heart 2 heart with craisins specifically.

before fifi thinks this isn't strange the last time i ate cereal at all was back when i was about 12 (almost 38 years - go ahead and do the math) and then i ate special k with orange juice :blink::wacko:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Recently I had an almost overwhelming urge for a doughnut. I stopped to get gas and the station was next door to a Krispy Kreme emporium and the aroma was incredible, I was salivating like one of Pavlov's dogs.

This may not seem too odd, but the fact is that I have not been able to look a doughnut in the eye for almost 50 years when I worked in my mother's bakery after I finished bakery school.

All I did for four hours every morning was fry doughnuts, both risen and the cake type. In fact I have scars from a grease burn when the handle of the cake doughnut machine fell into the vat of oil. I would go home at the end of my shift and shower and shampoo two or three times and still couldn't get the smell of hot oil out of my hair. (I worked from 7 p.m to 9 a.m with a break at midnight when most of the bread was in the proofer).

Every time I look at a doughnut that comes back to me and there is no way I could pick one up, let alone consume it.

I was able to resist the craving this time. That gas station will be avoided in the future.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Since I had not yet found the world of egullet I wasn't around when this thread began. However the timing seems right for my corndog craving last year. I went to every hot dog joint / gyros stand in the area and couldn't find one. Finally I bought a box at the local grocer and indulged.

Oh dear... Have you read the posts about the tin hats?

I do get a craving for a hot dog about twice a year. I don't consider that one strange.

Those latest ones do sound pretty strange.

andiesenji... You have fallen into KK's well constructed trap. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

andiesenji... You have fallen into KK's well constructed trap. :biggrin:

I understand they have several exhaust vents that blow the aroma-laden air into the surrounding area. At least I didn't go into the store and buy one.....

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

crumbled bacon, cut up cherry tomatoes and bleu cheese all mixed together with mayo for a cheesie BLT salad, no lettuce  :laugh:

samantha -

you are very, very evilllllllll

now i want that bacon - hold everything else(this from someone back from a funeral where the funeral luncheon was catered by subway - BIG SIGH- need i say more?)

edit to say that my favorite salad of all is fresh, warm, perfectly ripe jersey tomatoes, crumbled blue cheese, and catalina dressing - guess i'll add some bacon this year - thank you :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 months later...