• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexplicable/strange cravings

fifi

When I was a teenager and going through extreme growth spurts, I used to crave a bowl of pineapple chunks and unflavored yogurt. I ate it every day after school. In fact, I ate so much of it for so long, my step-father was convinved it was an anti-helminth remedy!

In rural New York, maple syrup is commonly eaten on johnnycake (and as a sweetener for strawberry shortcake)........maybe the Japanese developer for corn dogs spent too much time in Rochester or Syracuse?

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Nope. None of those are incredibley strange. Nope. They don't count. :biggrin:

(Why do I have to keep defining incredibly strange????? I need a magic command that puts that in this thread every half page or so. Hey... Tech Boy!)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

tuna fish sandwich

i DON'T eat tuna fish sandwiches EVER

i don't even have tuna fish in the house

help - what the flip is going on?

edited to say i have been doing the math and this one can also go on the following page

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=17326

on the way home from the gym i stopped and got a can of solid white albacore tuna, minced up a shallot and combined them with some miracle whip light, pepper and celery salt. at it with medium hot pepper rings and two toasted slices of bread. :wacko:

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I am thinking mine has got to be that new blood med. they switched me to. Lastnight I did it again... about 11 pm, got up, opened a package of dates, stuffed them with cream cheese, and jalapeno slices. Then, 3 hours later, got up, made a bowl of Rice Chex (I never indulge in milk--it's a Nat/Am. thing about lactose, I guess) and topped it with friggin' butterscotch morsels--and I do not normally eat sweets!! I'll trade you cravings, suzilightening--please!! :shock:

yep and yep... suzilightning and Mabelline have been hit. I don't think it is your meds, Mabelline. Dark forces are at work here. :biggrin: Start making your tin foil hats, ladies. :laugh:

Dates and cream cheese I get. But with jalepeno slices? Woof! (Actually, that sounds kind of good.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I am wearing, and even have a peacock feather in my tinfoil hat, as we speak. So tonight is my watershed---one more time, and I'm suing somebody for mental distress from the shudders the next day ever' time I think about that crap!!!!GACK!!

Oh yeah, my hat's folded into a cool Roman Legionary Dude style. I may switch to a cowboy hat later.

Edited by Mabelline (log)

I am wearing, and even have a peacock feather in my tinfoil hat, as we speak. So tonight is my watershed---one more time, and I'm suing somebody for mental distress from the shudders the next day ever' time I think about that crap!!!!GACK!!

Oh yeah, my hat's folded into a cool Roman Legionary Dude style. I may switch to a cowboy hat later.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

*painfully rising from prostrate position on floor*

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Fifi, you don't think Hot Pockets are strange? I think Hot Pockets are right up there with Corn Dogs. I'm afraid to keep reading this thread, cravings might be contagious!

Strange maybe. But not incredibly strange for purposes of this thread.

From up-thread:

OK, Children. Go back to the first post. You don't necessarily even like it. You don't eat it (or never have). But you get a sudden ravenous craving.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Yep. The key words are:

and I've never even eaten the stuff.

If never having eaten the stuff isn't due to religious or dietary restrictions, how do you do that?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

While I was living at home, it was religious restrictions. Since then, it just hasn't really appealed to me in its natural form, though I know I've had it in other things; it just hasn't been recognizable. The taste stands out, and I once used half a rasher of bacon to flavor some dog biscuits I was making, but I have an aversion to the deliberate use of pork and pork products in my kitchen, having been forbidden them as a youngster. Crazy, huh?

No. Nothing crazy about any of that. Dietary habits are formed in our youth. Any aversions are certainly valid. Maybe your craving is a sudden rebellion or maybe a sensory response. Certainly, bacon is a temptation to the most devout of vegetarians... or so say The Two Fat Ladies. Anyway, if this craving is sudden (and I can't imagine that you have not been exposed prior to now) then it might be an incredibly strange craving. Or... The devil made you do it. :biggrin: Um... Get fitted for a tin hat.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I've also noticed that eating pickled and/or fermented foods can set off a series of bizarre, specific cravings for strong flavors (kimchi in particular triggers this response). Last night, after a sushi dinner which included a great deal of pickled ginger and soy sauce, I was struck:

This is what I made for myself, responding to the calling with urgent and sensuous immediacy:

A whole jar of Bubbie's dill pickles, and an entire jar of Maille cornichons, but not before preparing a large bowl of honey mustard and another of sriracha for dipping pickles in between bites.

After I was done, I countered the sour/salty/sweet acetic acid buzz with countless spoonfuls of tahini; drizzled with maple syrup and sea salt en route to my mouth.

Finished off with a massive chunk of Valrhona chocolate spread with- God forgive me but it needed to happen- leftover wasabi and freshly ground peanut butter.

Still not sated, I threw a pound of shelled unsalted pistachios in a pan and sauteed them with J. Leblanc walnut oil and a crapload of dessicated coconut, brown sugar and because I was out of chipotle I added smoked paprika. Then, I ate a whole pineapple, cut into chunks and sprinkled with chopped mint, and I almost never eat fruit.

All of this washed down by coffee juiced up with a lot of ground cardamom.

Sick! Perfect!

I'll have my head hung in shame for the next month, to be sure.

I've also noticed that eating pickled and/or fermented foods can set off a series of bizarre, specific cravings for strong flavors (kimchi in particular triggers this response). Last night, after a sushi dinner which included a great deal of pickled ginger and soy sauce, I was struck:

This is what I made for myself, responding to the calling with urgent and sensuous immediacy:

A whole jar of Bubbie's dill pickles, and an entire jar of Maille cornichons, but not before preparing a large bowl of honey mustard and another of sriracha for dipping pickles in between bites.

After I was done, I countered the sour/salty/sweet acetic acid buzz with countless spoonfuls of tahini; drizzled with maple syrup and sea salt en route to my mouth.

Finished off with a massive chunk of Valrhona chocolate spread with- God forgive me but it needed to happen- leftover wasabi and freshly ground peanut butter.

Still not sated, I threw a pound of shelled unsalted pistachios in a pan and sauteed them with J. Leblanc walnut oil and a crapload of dessicated coconut, brown sugar and because I was out of chipotle I added smoked paprika. Then, I ate a whole pineapple, cut into chunks and sprinkled with chopped mint, and I almost never eat fruit.

All of this washed down by coffee juiced up with a lot of ground cardamom.

Sick! Perfect!

I'll have my head hung in shame for the next month, to be sure.

MEDIC!

uuummm... I think we have a winner.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

ok

15 minutes into the bike this morning and it strikes

ONION RINGS

not the kind that are chewed up and extruded into perfect circles or ovals and coated with crumbs but the ones i had the last time i had onion rings in 1993 - 11 years ago.

in a lovely restaurant on the washington penninsula, looking out at the ferries going back and forth to victoria. walla wallas cut into rings about 1" in size, lightly tossed in a tempura batter and quickly fried so they were light, crispy, greaseless and so sweet. :wub::wub::wub:

the first place i stopped, one of my usual haunts, just had as the new help there said"regular onion rings, you know - like at burger king" - strike one. :angry:

at the second, another place i feel comfortable going to, they had onion rings made from honest to goodness onion. a buffalo burger and a plate of rings. cut a bit small for my liking and the batter was thicker than i care for. the fryolator needs to be turned up a few degress as well but they were honest to goodness real onion rings. :smile:

the search will go on... got a tip from a lady the local diner in town makes em the real, oldfashioned way

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Have you ever eaten a whole can of refried beans with a large spoon? :shock:

Straight from the can?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I actually did that a few years ago. It was a similar attack to the corndog episode that started all of this. I think the onion rings also qualify. The obsessive search is a clue.

"Hey... Hat boy!... Two more tin hats over here."

Beware... The evil is spreading. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Broccoli...broccoli is the most intense craving I get. When I'm in the mood and I'm home alone I make a huge bowl of steamed broccoli with butter or bearnaise depending on the mood. Oh! And foccacia dipped in bearnaise too. Just every once in a while it calls to me.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."