• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

A brief break in our programming . . .

We think we're set on glassware.

This afternoon, I rented two dozen each of the following:

-- 8 oz. old-fashioned glasses

-- 16 oz. wine glasses

-- 7.5 oz stemmed cocktail glasses

Also picked up a bunch of plastic cups, etc.

I've now tables for seating 22 people. But only about 12 chairs.

One or two more cardtables might be good. And, obviously, a few more chairs.

Sound right, my mighty party people?

I'd be happy to bring a few more folding chairs, but I don't know the capacity of Klink's trunk. If any of you haven't yet headed to the Map Room, please ask him.

Dean, you know the chairs in question.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I'd be happy to bring a few more folding chairs, but I don't know the capacity of Klink's trunk.  If any of you haven't yet headed to the Map Room, please ask him.

Rather than you dragging chairs from Chicago, might not it be better for me to rent some folding chairs? It's quite inexpensive to do so.

(I think I just answered my own question. :blink: )

All of which you are. :wub:
Katie's so dreamy :wub:
*whine* I want leftover limoncello

246.gif

Thanks everyone! This totally made my day! :wub:

Now Katie has me thinking about these.

Lovely stuff but oh so sticky counters when mixing at a party

Ooooohhhh! These look yummy too!

*whine* I wanna hang out with the Chicago kids.

Me too! 310.gif

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Me too!

I had a ball hanging with the Chicago (and elsewhere) kids last weekend, but I need a home weekend before heading to VT for parents' weekend the following week.

My sister did some time at Grand Valley in GR. My kid bro' lives in the Detroit 'burbs, so I've some good memories of the east side of Lake Michigan, as well as the west and south.

We share the same birthday, G-man, but I've never had a birthday dinner like yours! Awesome!

Party on, Heartland! It will be much quieter without an accordion.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I'd be happy to bring a few more folding chairs, but I don't know the capacity of Klink's trunk.  If any of you haven't yet headed to the Map Room, please ask him.

Rather than you dragging chairs from Chicago, might not it be better for me to rent some folding chairs? It's quite inexpensive to do so.

(I think I just answered my own question. :blink: )

We can use my dining room and extra chairs (9 total). Let's talk before you rent.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Damn, sorry I can't come.  I really, really wish I could find a way to do it.

I've been scouring my continuing legal ed bulletins for Chicago conferences, but I've yet to find one.  I'll scour some more.

You're a lawyer. Make one up. :raz:

Ok, so jeans, a sweatshit, and some fleece are cool for dinner tomorrow night? Good! If pajamas are also cool, I will consider that too.

Damn, sorry I can't come.  I really, really wish I could find a way to do it.

I've been scouring my continuing legal ed bulletins for Chicago conferences, but I've yet to find one.  I'll scour some more.

You're a lawyer. Make one up. :raz:

Ok, so jeans, a sweatshit, and some fleece are cool for dinner tomorrow night? Good! If pajamas are also cool, I will consider that too.

Pajamas would be very cool. Especially ones with feet. Or Hello Kitty.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Party on, Heartland! It will be much quieter without an accordion.

But not as much fun.

Philly folk would fit right in. We'll raise one (of many) glasses to you and Katie. :wub:

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

*whine* I want leftover limoncello.

I guess I'll have to make do with an image of Maggie in a tiara, yellow polo shirt, shorts and shoes with no socks. Which would be almost as priceless as facetime and limoncello. :wub: There will be a picture, right?

jeez katie,

i hoped you saved some limoncello for those that got left behind.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

*whine* I want leftover limoncello.

I guess I'll have to make do with an image of Maggie in a tiara, yellow polo shirt, shorts and shoes with no socks. Which would be almost as priceless as facetime and limoncello.  :wub: There will be a picture, right?

jeez katie,

i hoped you saved some limoncello for those that got left behind.

There might be a "control" batch in my freezer. You'd know the answer if you checked your cell phone messages and returned a call from time to time... :raz:

*she ducks and runs*

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie's so dreamy :wub:
*whine* I want leftover limoncello

246.gif

Thanks everyone! This totally made my day! :wub:

Where do you get these adorable smileys, Katie?

They're almost as cute as your smile. :rolleyes:

Now, when do we arrange the KatieLoeb & Fresser Get-Together? All eGulleteers are invited--especially Klink and Momo.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

They're almost as cute as your smile. :rolleyes:

Now, when do we arrange the KatieLoeb & Fresser Get-Together? All eGulleteers are invited--especially Klink and Momo.

We talked you up to Katie like crazy, Steve. She is now well aware of your devotion. Quick! Get her a seat on a plane to Grand Rapids.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

We're off on a meat tour of Chicago. On the agenda are Chicago Live Poultry, Joe the Sausage King, Paulina Market, and maybe Gene's. See you all tonight.

A meat tour of Chicago with Dean and der Klink. Sigh. That's Tourism at its finest. Have fun, Lads!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

They're almost as cute as your smile.  :rolleyes:

Now, when do we arrange the KatieLoeb & Fresser Get-Together?  All eGulleteers are invited--especially Klink and Momo.

We talked you up to Katie like crazy, Steve. She is now well aware of your devotion. Quick! Get her a seat on a plane to Grand Rapids.

*Big Sigh*

Cyber-flirting is such fun. And the chivalrous devotion from afar makes me feel like the Princess I know in my heart that I truly am...045.gif

Care to carry my colors into battle, Fresser? How about just raising a glass for me at the get together? That'll definitely do for now.

Wish I could be there! 1011.gif

P.S. Adorable smileys are HERE

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Just back from running about.

Dean informs me via PM that our prime rib weighs in at 17 pounds! :shock:

We've ~5 liters of bourbon.

3 fifths of cognac for mixing Sidecars.

2 fifths of Cointreau.

2 bags of lemons.

Sugar for glass-rimming.

Vermouth, cherries, & bitters for Manhattans.

An assorted case of beer--Bell's pale ale, porter, & some other stuff. (If anyone would like to bring Coors Lite, go for it. I'll happily allow it in the house; I just won't pay for it. :raz: )

A wine box full of CDs.

A clean house.

Most importantly, *fine people* are on the road & approaching Grand Rapids! :biggrin:

Ummm, anyone feel like drinking & eating this weekend???

We're off on a meat tour of Chicago. On the agenda are Chicago Live Poultry, Joe the Sausage King, Paulina Market, and maybe Gene's. See you all tonight.

Just remember to keep all relevant body parts away from moving machinery!

I desperately wish I could be there. Drink one for me, and take care of my husband, everybody--I just got him recently, and I'm pretty sure I want to keep him!

Batgrrrl

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

Just remember to keep all relevant body parts away from moving machinery!

Does he have a habit of placing his relevant parts near moving machinery? Um, on second thought, I'd rather not know.

Looking forward to seeing you all. Afraid I won't be able to drink my share of the bourbon, et al... So I'm going to stop at Big Ten before heading out of town tomorrow and pick up some Izze - awesome carbonated fruit juice beverages in lemon, pear, blackberry and grapefruit. And a hunk of some interesting cheese - hopefully the triple cream from Burgundy if they have any left - it's the best cheese I've had in quite some time. If not, maybe some of this really intense cured Manchego. Or maybe both...

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Dean informs me via PM that our prime rib weighs in at 17 pounds! :shock:

I'm thinking about doing my own prime rib in parallel.

So: how are you gonna to smoke that sucker?

Have you done this before? If not, let's decide quick before Klink arrives and tells us we don't have the slightest idea of what we're doing.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dean informs me via PM that our prime rib weighs in at 17 pounds!  :shock:

I'm thinking about doing my own prime rib in parallel.

So: how are you gonna to smoke that sucker?

Have you done this before? If not, let's decide quick before Klink arrives and tells us we don't have the slightest idea of what we're doing.

Yeah, let's go.

I talked with Dean a bit ago. He & Klink already have all the meat preparation planned. :blink:

I've never smoked a prime rib. (They're also bringing a freshly-slaughtered duck, a rack of lamb, various sausages, & white bacon. And I don't know what else.)

WWDD: What Would Dave Do? :biggrin: