• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

Actually, if the Cubs don't make it to the World Series blame me and Dusty.

Whether he's worthy of it or not, I'm blaming that ball-snatchin' dufus in the stands last night.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Oh Dawn! I'm weeping for all of you in the Heartland! :sad:

I watched the game tonight so I could be with y'all in spirit. I think that "fan" should take a sudden and extended vacation far far out of town. He's NEVER going to live this down. Poor schmuck! I guarantee his house will be covered in goat shit by morning :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I talked with the hayride people today. They're real laid back about # of people, time of day, etc. All I'll need to do is give them a call Saturday morning and let them know whether we need them to get some sticks ready for marshmallow roasting. :cool: If folks decide that morning that they'd rather just hang out or do something else, that's ok, too.

Today's GR Press had an article about West Michigan farmers markets. Available now = many varieties of apples + cider; winter squashes; late harvest grapes; red raspberries; various greens; broccoli; mushrooms; kohlrabi; leeks and onions; sweet potatoes; "a smattering" of tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, and lettuces; fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley, rosemary, sage); honey; flowers.

Cubs. :shock::huh::sad:

Tomorrow's Yanks-Red Sox game should be a classic, though.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Today's GR Press had an article about West Michigan farmers markets. Available now = many varieties of apples + cider; winter squashes; late harvest grapes; red raspberries; various greens; broccoli; mushrooms; kohlrabi; leeks and onions; sweet potatoes; "a smattering" of tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, and lettuces; fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley, rosemary, sage); honey; flowers.

Cubs.  :shock:  :huh:  :sad:

Tomorrow's Yanks-Red Sox game should be a classic, though.

Damn, I'm getting giddy.

I am also looking forward to tomorrow's game. This has been one helluva post-season. Well, until tonight. :angry:

Oh my oh my! What an embarrassment of riches! I am so there.

Cubs: An excellent excuse to drink a whole lot (as if we needed one. :smile: )

BTW Alex, many thanks for all your research and logistics

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I'll have my Dad bring some cognac or calvados.

Should Sidecars be the official cocktail then?

(2 parts cognac, 1 part fresh lemon juice, 1 part Cointreau.)

I was going to make him bring some good cognac that you wouldn't want to mix , but maybe some cheaper can also be arranged.

I thought a sidecar was officially 1-1-1, although I also do a 2-1-1. It's one of my favorite drinks :smile: .

I thought a sidecar was officially 1-1-1, although I also do a 2-1-1. It's one of my favorite drinks :smile: .

One of my favourites too.

(Jerry's Calvados: :wub: )

C'mon, Varmint, make it happen, My Man. Maybe you could organize your very own NC Lawyers Legal Conference in Chicago?

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

To quote Paul Harrington:

"If you make the strong parts cognac, the sweet part Cointreau, and the sour part fresh-squeezed lemon, and if you shake it over ice vigorously [405k .mov] and serve it up with a twist, you will get instant transpo back to the days before vodka arrived on the scene and ruined everything. "

Word.

I'll bore you all with the story about my first Sidecar.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

get some of the Bell's beer maybe?

and some Coors Light. :wink:

As far as Bell's, perhaps some ale but what about porter?

No Coors Light. :angry:

But, PBR! :wub:

assortment of bells. and coors light :angry: .

We should try the wine clip on beer too, especially the coors light.