• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

So: how are you gonna to smoke that sucker?

First, you need to get two big-ass cookers. And then some pecan wood. Invite your 100 closest friends, serve them lots of alcohol, and then just wing it.

That's what I always do! :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I've never smoked a prime rib. (They're also bringing a freshly-slaughtered duck, a rack of lamb, various sausages, & white bacon. And I don't know what else.)

OMG, that's a lot of meat. Better stick with vegetables for dinner tonight!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

So: how are you gonna to smoke that sucker?

Hmmmm....17 pounds will require some very big rolling papers :raz:

=R=

:laugh:

I think we'll be forced to halve it. The WSM will probably only handle some sausages after that.

I'm already planning to say to Klink: "See that Weber kettle? Please start smoking on that, too. I'll go get you another Maker's."

Here's a smoked prime rib roast.

Checked Schlesinger & Willoughby. Their latest has a recipe that's just the beef, salted & peppered, & smoked.

According to the top recipe, I may not have to start smoking as early as I'd planned. But Klink, Guajolote, & I may need an excuse to start imbibing right after morning coffee. :wink:

Edited by MatthewB (log)

If the kettle grill is the 22-1/2" model, I'm not so sure you couldn't do the whole roast on that. I know Klink has smoked some pretty big turkeys on a kettle. The little bit of reading I've done indicates that a full rib takes about six hours at 225, which is less than I thought. Dividing it in half won't make much difference in cooking time.

Apparently, very little prep is required -- a decent rub is about it. I would rub it, then let it sit uncovered on a rack in the fridge until you're ready to put it on the grill.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Here's a smoked prime rib roast.

Checked Schlesinger & Willoughby. Their latest has a recipe that's just the beef, salted & peppered, & smoked.

According to the top recipe, I may not have to start smoking as early as I'd planned. But Klink, Guajolote, & I may need an excuse to start imbibing right after morning coffee. :wink:

That WSM recipe seems to be more roasting than smoking. Even though it's over wood, the surface temperature is going to rise awfully fast, and limit the amount of smoke penetration.

This recipe is kind of fussy, what with the veggies and all, and I'm definitely against using a roasting pan for the meat, but it's more of a traditional low-temp smoke.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I think you can use the kettle. I guess there's nothing wrong with splitting it, except for the aesthetics -- but you can't really discount those, can you?

I like 215. Pull it at 120 - 125 F ? What do you expect carryover to be?

Or: Paul Prudhomme cooks it to about 115 and lets it rest fully. Then he slices it an inch thick, gives it a generous Cajun rub and sears it -- maybe a minute on each side -- and plates it. It's awesome.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I think you can use the kettle. I guess there's nothing wrong with splitting it, except for the aesthetics -- but you can't really discount those, can you?

Or: Paul Prudhomme cooks it to about 115 and lets it rest fully. Then he slices it an inch thick, gives it a generous Cajun rub and sears it -- maybe a minute on each side -- and plates it. It's awesome.

I think pulling at 115-120 would be best. Maybe get 3-5 more degrees during the rest.

Prudhomme's method sounds delicious! :smile:

I think pulling at 115-120 would be best. Maybe get 3-5 more degrees during the rest.

Prudhomme's method sounds delicious! :smile:

I'll look up the spice mixture when I get home and post it.

Varmint, it's not too late to catch a plane!

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The pictures are coming, Dave, don't worry. You wouldn't believe how fetching G-man (and the klinkster, and Alex) can look in Maggie's tiara.

Transport was relatively simple (but of course, with Maggie and Aurora watching the exits and the map -- we only digressed once, and hey, who's to say the prettiest route to Grand Rapids isn't through Chesterton, Indiana? Hmm?

Dinner was at Rafaella's this evening (about which more at length later; I kept notes), and now we're at MatthewB's spacious, elegant house drinking, and talking, and setting up the work (work, my foot -- this is fun!) rosters for tomorrow's feasting. I'll have notes at some point tomorrow about the farmer's market where the greengoods are to be bought, and we'll see the Saturday arrivals...well, as they arrive.

All is well. Wish y'all were here, Dave. I'm going now to make sure you get a toast as promised, Malawry!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

:biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

You wouldn't believe how fetching G-man (and the klinkster, and Alex) can look in Maggie's tiara.

Good for you! In Raleigh, we couldn't get guajolote to put on an apron -- even one with scantily-clad beauties.

Transport was relatively simple (but of course, with Maggie and Aurora watching the exits and the map -- we only digressed once, and hey, who's to say the prettiest route to Grand Rapids isn't through Chesterton, Indiana?  Hmm?
Well, I noticed that singalongs tend to distract those two.
Dinner was at Rafaella's this evening (about which more at length later; I kept notes), and now we're at MatthewB's spacious, elegant house drinking, and talking, and setting up the work (work, my foot -- this is fun!) rosters for tomorrow's feasting.
We're looking forward to it. I understand the chef is very, very good. Don't forget the wine notes!

Cooking with Maggie, Aurora and the G-man is a blast, but I guess you already know that.

I'll have notes at some point tomorrow about the farmer's market where the greengoods are to be bought, and we'll see the Saturday arrivals...well, as they arrive.

All is well.  Wish y'all were here, Dave.  I'm going now to make sure you get a toast as promised, Malawry!

sigh

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Sob, sob, sob. I should be having a grand time in Michigan.

Toast to us fellow Heartlanders that have things like kid stuff and Protestant Guilt that prevent such well deserved hedoniistic debauchery and camaraderie.

Strikes me that Klink should be hyping all of you up for a trek to the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

Our dress-up trunk even sports TWO tiaras.

I now return to our regularly scheduled program of knitting and mopping the brow of a sick child...no rest for the wicker. But, on my list for tomorrow, is sidecar fixings. If not in person, at least in spirit.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

But, on my list for tomorrow, is sidecar fixings.  If not in person, at least in spirit.

Excellent idea, Susan!

And, further "in the spirit" (who knows which spirit???), I'll be smokin' a rack o ribs. On sale ($1.28/lb :biggrin: ; pork has been way cheap lately) with a nice fat cap.

There's something about booze and smokin' flesh :wub::wub::wub:

Come to think of it, a Kindred Spirit trip to the Farmer's Market (that's what we call it here in the land o 10,000 lakes) is also in order. New potatos, green beans, squash, onions, shallots, heirloon garlic, leeks, etc. We are too late here for any berries, but the apples (especially the chestnut craps and Haralson's) have been nice and crisp, tart and sweet at the same time.

Yes, revel and rejoice. Share in what our Michigan friends are doing, albeit long distance. Vulcan mind meld or something like that.

Edited by snowangel (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

You're here people! We raised glasses to you several times last evening.

A group is trekking to the Farmer's Market at 9:30 this morning.

Klink & I will be smoking meat.

Guajolote brought along a few stocks--veal, etc.

Aurora will be baking a cake.

Chef Joe will probably be showing up.

Many other events will notably occur.

We'll keep you posted.

After re-reading Chef Paul's prime rib technique, I'm not sure it's suitable. But since I promised, here's a synopsis:

When the meat is done -- one level below your target doneness -- refrigerate for three hours.

Portion the roast into steaks and make a spice rub:

1 part each: dry mustard and cayenne

2 parts each: salt, white pepper and whole fennel seeds

Make sure your exhaust fan is on "extra-high" or do the next part outside.

Rub about 4 teaspoons of the mixture on a steak and blacken in a screeching-hot cast-iron skillet. It takes two to three minutes per side to develop the crust -- hence the lower target doneness and the refrigeration.

Hope everyone has a great day. It sounds like tremendous fun.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

:biggrin:

It's 12:10 p.m. at MatthewB's. The smokers are set up and Matthew's firing the first one up as we speak (I can see him out the window as I type).

The booze lineup has begun on the counter. We have Pierre Ferrand "Cigare" cognac, a VSOP Coquerel Calvados, and for later desserting, a unique raspberry wine from Lynfred Winery back home. I have your Sancerre here too, Tammylc, ready for pickup or for drinking here -- just as you choose.

G-man's headed for the supermarket to get the last details: blue cheese, Chevre, milk, bread, balloons (for a sign to help direct the incoming kinfolks), oranges, food coloring, an 8 oz. can of crushed pineapple (with syrup; needed for Aurora's cake), two 6-oz. packages of cream cheese, and confectioners' sugar. ( Taken from the actual list; I'll check when Dean arrives with the bags, to see if that's all that actually comes in.)

Greenmarketing was a hoot. The people-watching was easily as good as the produce, and the produce was gooooood. Berries and the more fragile leafies are of course done and gone, but I snagged a nice bag of Empire apples (for raised apple pancakes tomorrow morning, and munching in the meantime) and a fine fat bunch of Italian parsley. (I don't know who it'll be yet, but somebody's gonna need it.) I didn't see what was in everybody else's bags, beyond the leeks and potatoes Maggie will be using with some of Dean's veal stock for soup. I believe Alex managed the rest of the herbs, and and and...

Aurora's setting up for cake baking, and since Maggie's doing a big batch of scalloped potatoes, I had better get out there and start peeling. (I am NOT missing out on potato peeling this week!) My custard pie won't go in until Aurora's cake is out (I'll be mixing while she bakes), and Maggie's taters go in after my pie comes out.

Got that? Good. It's only going to get more complicated.

More later.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

So many eGullet gatherings lately, one of these days I'll have to attend. Where are those pictures? Let the rest of us see what fun you're having... so we can become still more jealous!

I trust you guys will be taking a break this evening to watch the game?

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"