• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

MatthewB working on some dangerous side cars. Could you post your recipe Matthew?

The receipt:

1.5 ounces decent cognac (I like DeLuze VS. It's really Remy under a secondary label!)

.75 ounce Cointreau (or triple sec)

.75 ounce fresh-squeezed lemon juice

Shake vigorously until your hands are cold.

Strain into a chilled stemmed cocktail glass that's been *half* rimmed with fine sugar. (Allows the drinker to choose sugar/no sugar rim or to move back & forth between the two.)

Garnish with a lemon twist.

Serve.

Maggie found the recipe here:wink:

Sammy: Try this. Really.

It was snarffed from the counter like a dish of cashews, guajolte told me his kids loved it when he made it, and it is fantastically easy.

If you read upthread our Nero gives it the untimate accolade, something like: "Wow. The first cauliflower that doesn't taste like pee!"

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

:wink:

The apple pancake is dead simple. Make two or more if there are eGulletarians at the table.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix granulated sugar and ground cinnamon in proportion to taste, approximately 1/4 cup per pancake.

2. Peel, core, and thinly slice apples -- 1 medium or 2 small, medium crisp per pancake (I used Empires from the Grand Rapids Farmers' Market: wonderful!) -- and hold in acidulated water until needed.

3. Mix in bowl with fork: 2 large eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Batter should be smooth.

4. Put 3 tablespoons sweet butter in 10" pie pan. Put pie pan in oven to melt butter.

5. Once butter is melted and bubbling (but not coloring yet), remove pan from oven; pour batter all at once into pan on top of butter. Working fast, remove apple slices from bowl of water with slotted spoon and scatter on top of batter, leaving about 1" clear at rim. Sprinkle thickly with cinnamon-sugar mixture and return to oven for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and serve.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

The butternut squash recipe is here.

I'm making it again this weekend. :biggrin:

I'm also going to make Lady T's apple pancake this weekend. :biggrin::biggrin:

(When she made it for our Sunday brunch, she used half-and-half instead of milk. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer