• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The great list of burger chains

Jason Perlow

http://www.epinions.com/rest-Chain_Restaur...nts-All-Burgers

Many of these I've never heard of. Who's tried the most?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Okay, Jason insisted I post this 'cause we were IMing each other and I found tommy's long lost cousin in Arkansas commenting sarcastically on one of the burger chains.

He talks about "Burger to bun ratios" just like tommy does.

The Sonic burger is a big burger, probably the same size as a Whopper. However, the bun is exceptionally large, with an unacceptably skewed bun-to-burger ratio. The buns are plain with no sesame seeds to offer that much-needed texture.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I have been to every one on the list except Hudson's and Culvers is my favorite.

Culvers has a lot to like:

Their burger is called a butterburger. Talk about truth in advertising (the name comes from the toasted Kaiser roll style roll buns, I think.)

Their fries are my favorite drive through fries. A medium think crinkle cut that has a crisp exterior and creamy interior. I do not know how often they change the frying oil, but the fries always taste like they came out of a fresh batch of oil.

They make a fantastic shake, you literally need a spoon to drink it.

As far as the big chains go, I do not think there is a close second to Culvers.

Well, the list is far from complete. Where, for instance, is "Checkers" on that list? (It's elsewhere on epinions but misfiled is where it is--I checked). Checkers is HUGE in Florida, isn't it?

Still thinking that tommy may have snuck down to Arkansas for that Sonic report. Not just the Burger/Bun ratio thing, but some of the sarcasm:

A very nice touch at Sonic is the complimentary peppermints. This is not something you will find at Ray Kroc’s place. It’s that little touch of class that will keep us coming back.

{note that its obvious from the REST of the review and the bottom-drawer rating that this is sarcasm and not true}

Of course it was far too many words long to be tommy. I just liked the thought of him having a long-lost cousin who writes the same way as him down there.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I hate to admit that I have been to 20 of the 27.

But they are all so different - to compare White Castle to Red Robin is like comparing apples to potatoes - although neither is exactly fine dining.

My favorite of the ones listed is Fatburger, and not just for the name alone, but that helps.

I am also a big fan of the unlisted Steak and Shake - although it was much better and more consistent when it was a more regional operation about ten years ago.

Bill Russell

I'm also at 11. I've never been to White Castle.

Where's Burger King? As far as your basic fast food burgers go (i.e., BK, McDs, Wendys, Arbys), I think the double-whopper has to be the best item you're gonna get. (I think stuff like Fuddruckers, Carls Jr., etc., is at a different level. The Houlihans of fast food?).

I also nominate Steak & Shake as a sentimental favorite. I only ate there when visiting family in St. Louis. God-awful burgers so. Pressed so thin you could seen through them.

I think the double-whopper has to be the best item you're gonna get.

agreed. it's my sandwich of choice lately at BK. however, McDonald's is fighting back with their double quarter pounder. not quite as good, though. but i never liked regular quarter pounders. although it's somehow not twice as horrible, but rather much better to some degree.

I think the double-whopper has to be the best item you're gonna get.

agreed. it's my sandwich of choice lately at BK. however, McDonald's is fighting back with their double quarter pounder.

I spent a summer back in '84 working the quarter grill at McDonald's. Loved the burgers then, but noticed that they're more "pressed" and dry since they stopped cooking them fresh in the store.

One of my first home culinary adventures took place with a carton of stolen frozen fries and mom's "fry daddy". Didn't work out quite as expected, but that's a different story for a different thread.

Love the Whopper. Nice and wet. My favorite fast food right now.

The problem with BK is that their fries are absolutely terrible. Onion rings with that zesty sauce are passible. It's not unheard of to drive thru BK and get the burger, then hit the McD's across the street for the fries...

The problem with BK is that their fries are absolutely terrible. Onion rings with that zesty sauce are passible. It's not unheard of to drive thru BK and get the burger, then hit the McD's across the street for the fries...

i'm gunna have to go ahead and sorta, disagree with you.

i love the new BK fries. they're always crispy and have lots of flavor. not sure what the flavor is, but they got lots of it. McD's are more often than not soggy. i'll take crisp over soggy any day. wet is good on a sandwich, but not in a fry.

does McD's really not cook their patties at the store anymore? do they just heat them in a microwave or something? this might call for a new thread. it's an outrage.

Edited by tommy (log)

does McD's really not cook their patties at the store anymore?  do they just heat them in a microwave or something?  this might call for a new thread.  it's an outrage.

In the old days they'd be fried up fresh and stored under the heat lamp. Hitting McD's at lunch rush, you almost always had fresh food. Three in the afternoon, however, was a bit more of a crapshot.

They reengineered their operation the back half of the 90's, where they now precook food (not sure if that's on-site, or its shipped to them precooked), then stored in a holding cabinet and a new bun toaster. The cabinet creates a steamy environment where cooked meat patties are held until a customer orders a sandwich.

(Interesting article, written from business ops perspective)

Side note: looking for that article on cooking, I found a site that lists the ingredients used in McD's food. Interesting to skim

*edited to replace "grilled" with "fried" -

Edited by mcdowell (log)

Where's Burger King?  As far as your basic fast food burgers go (i.e., BK, McDs, Wendys, Arbys), I think the double-whopper has to be the best item you're gonna get.

I like double whoppers too, but I always tell them to hold the mayo. For the most part I think mayo on burgers is gross.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Whereas, on turkey club sandwiches and mixed with horseradish and mustard used as a condiment for roast beef or steak sandwiches, I like mayo. Mayo is also ok on a fried chicken sandwich.

Whereas, on turkey club sandwiches and mixed with horseradish and mustard used as a condiment for roast beef or steak sandwiches, I like mayo. Mayo is also ok on a fried chicken sandwich.

Oh, yeah. Horseradish, mustard, & mayo on roast beef.

Hold the beef - just give me a spoon :biggrin:

Here's one for y'all. It's avery small local chain, but very good. it is called Char-grill. you walk up, fill out your order on a slip of paper, slid the order paper through a slot in the window and stand back and watch. They grill the burgers over a fire filled gas grill, use burgers that are ground fresh daily and do a very ggod job You will find them in the greater Raleigh, N.C. area

dont like mayo, never have. I will tolerate it to hold togther chicken and shrimp salad but not much else. Here's a great sandwich sauce based on mayo. It's called "Sauce Dresden" and is equal parts of mayo(Dukes), horseradish and a strong french dijon. Make it special by adding a splash of good brandy. Great on cold roast beast sandwiches