• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Cabin

First off -- my cabin list:

gallery_6263_35_66870.jpg

We hit the road last Friday for our opening weekend of the cabin (the weekend after the official State opening of the Walleye season – almost an official holiday here in MN). We choose to go the weekend in between ‘Da Opener and Memorial Day, as we have learned to stay home on major holiday weekends. Just too many people up north then.

But, there were a few differences from previous years. For the first year since she was just a few months old, Diana was not with us; she’s to be a counselor at a YMCA camp this summer, and she had a work weekend at camp, so five teens piled into a small car, complete with assorted duffles, two guitars, and more Ipods and cell phones than there were people. Second, we normally go up with a close friend and her family; but they were unavailable, so it was just Paul, Heidi, Peter and I. Third, we did not buzz up in a 1990 Ford Bronco or a Taurus SHO. The SHO was replaced with a mini-van this year (no comments, please – we’re both rather horrified that we own a mini-van). But, a mini-van is a nice way to travel. Plenty of power ports for cell phone, Ipod, DVD player, and the cooler can sit between the seats in the middle.

And, the final difference -- oh, my, what a difference a year makes. I will note that this has been a very long and brutal winter. We had more snow than in years, and it did almost noting but snow all winter up north, and rain all "spring" (we're still waiting for that, BTW).

If you scroll to the second photo in this post, you'll see what we faced 5/13/07 (last year).

This year, on 5/18/08, this is what it looked like:

gallery_6263_35_32133.jpg

Note: there really are two big rocks out there.

No, we did not get the dock in. The water was so (explicative deleted) cold that an ankle-high wade led to a Mr. Misty headache. Never mind that the water would have more than lapped over the one pair of hip-waders we had. Oh, and had one of us dropped a bolt in the lake -- well, that's a 30 mile trip for another bolt (and I always manage to drop a bolt or nut).

Things are way behind what they should be. On the drive home, we had to get to Moose Lake before we saw the Marsh Marigolds bloom.

But, we did have, despite the wind, thunderstorms and hail, a spectacular weekend.

Food. There are no photos. Peter was in charge of food photography, and he decided to play with the camera, having no idea what he was doing. But, Friday evening, we had really great local meat market hot dogs, homemade baked beans, and a big salad. Saturday morning, waffles and bacon. Lunch was munchies – tuna salad sandwiches on good bread with greens, chips, bananas, and cookies. Dinner Saturday night was seared venison chops, twice baked potatoes and a bit salad, with s’mores for dessert. We did have a super-nice bottle of wine with dinner, courtesy of a dear friend:

gallery_6263_35_38028.jpg

Sunday morning, it was french toast and sausages. We left early, intending to get a map and find the Savanna Portage, but for some odd reason, you can't get a state map up north (unless you want to buy a worthless one at a gas station) on a Sunday, so it was an early arrival home.

Now, no opening weekend at the cabin for us would be complete without the chainsaw (in fact, Paul asked Peter and I to walk out to the point looking for something to chainsaw.

gallery_6263_35_18773.jpg

He did put on protective head/ear/eye wear before doing the deed.

It was an unbelievably windy weekend, peppered with occasional thunderstorms. The advantage of the high wind was watching the trees bend!

gallery_6263_35_46111.jpg

And the fact that the storm moves through.

It was cold enough that we had fires Friday night and both mornings just to warm the place up so our feet didn't freeze, and we were glad we have extra blankets up there, as the cores of the mattresses are rather chilly when they've been locked in a cold cabin since early November.

Since the weather was dicey, we played lots of Yahtzee, poker (for matchsticks) and Milles Borne. I knit a cap, did some crosswords. We had naps and read.

But, most of all, we loved being together without any tasks for maintenance. The deafening silence, unless the radio was on. Oh, and my, the star display at night, and visibly watch the moon wax every single night. We all breathed huge sighs of relief when we first spotted the cabin. Yes, food comes in many, many forms.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Wow, I envy you-I wish I had a cabin to open up. I told my kids we'd put up a tent in the backyard this weekend & they're like, 'Why?'. Well, I'll put it up anyway, maybe I'll sleep outside by myself one night, & we'll definitely utilize the grill. Even w/ working a few days this weekend (I work at a garden center), it'll still be a great weekend, even if we don't travel. One of these days, we'll have a cabin...I'm glad you're enjoying your retreat!

I hear you Susan! The water levels here are at an all time high. Part of our dock is still underwater. We arrived at the cottage tonight with a cooler full of food and butt ready to smoke tomorrow (well, it will go on tonight). The blackflies are out in full force which means even if it is nice tomorrow, we'll be staying indoors so as not to be swarmed!

Our long weekend was last weekend, so the drive up tonight wasn't too bad at all.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Well, we stayed home in Duluth to watch the trees bend and sway and snap on the weekend you were up north. This weekend, Memorial Day weekend, we went up to your neck of the woods, more or less, with our new cabin-on-wheels. The weather Saturday and Sunday morning were fine indeed, although the water is still darned cold. On Sunday afternoon, the same storms that cruised through The Cities also cruised through Voyageurs National Park area. It wouldn't have been good weather for fishing.

The marsh marigolds still aren't out up there. They will be soon, though, since they're in full glory here in Duluth. The aspen - excuse me, popple - and birch are pollinating with wild abandon (ahhh-choo!) to make up for the long-delayed spring.

You're right, it's been a brutal winter and entirely-too-cheerless spring, and the water is darned cold. Still, the North Woods are greening up in that schizophrenic way they do. You'll be pleased at the change, the next time you come up, no matter how empty the car seems.

Welcome to another season of greenery and The Cabin! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 weeks later...

I have not ignored this topic for lack of interest, but rather of lack of the Weather God or Goddess. The weather has been crappy, but we do plan to go up this coming Sunday or Monday (assuming that the Midwestern Gods align) and stay for more than two days.

Menus are in the making (pending a friend who need to find out if a trial settles). So, a question Can I store homemade marshmallows for more than a day? If so, how? We are also thinking of a Tuesday night steak that is way, way bigger than we need so we can have a larby/yammy (sp?) thing. There is toasted rice powder at the cabin, and a brand-new bottle of Tiparos (fish sauce)!

We're thinking it will be a weekend of quick dips in the lake, some pork, some beef, and a lota just flat haning out, recovering from a wicked winter, and getting to know each other again. Oh, and maybe, just maybe, an exploratory trip to see whether the blueberries will be all they should be.

We're just hoping for some greenery Way Up North (akaOur Little Bit of Heaven) this coming week. Me thinks a swim, late at night, is far more than in order.

Hope the weather warms up for you! We've had one nice weekend so far, the rest have sucked.

I'll be moving up to the cottage for the summer next weekend, and the kitchen renovation will commence. I'm hoping it will be a little warmer!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 4 weeks later...
Susan, have you been able to get up to the cabin lately?

We have been twice; report to follow once I finish up with all of the graduation parties I have "catered" (IMHO, catering is a term applied loosely -- I think it implies that you are paid for more than the supplies...).

Susan, have you been able to get up to the cabin lately?

We have been twice; report to follow once I finish up with all of the graduation parties I have "catered" (IMHO, catering is a term applied loosely -- I think it implies that you are paid for more than the supplies...).

I eagerly await this year's reports---they respond to my forever longing for Camp in Maine, or a Northwoods cabin, or just whatever you have in that magical, mystical place of the shussssshing trees and the moonlight lake.

The catering thing reminded me of a years-ago trip to a friend's cabin on a local lake---probably a twenty-mile drive from where we lived. She and I both looked at it as "no matter how close to home, it's NOT home; therefore it's a vacation." It coulda been right down the block---we didn't care. It was getting up at daylight to carry the first cup out onto the deck over the water, and going to sleep with the sounds of the night-frogs and the whispery wind.

One time, she had "catered" her son's graduation party at home, working for weeks to get the garden and the house and all that food just right.

She was exhausted, and so several of us packed up coolers and boxes of snacks and wine and soft drinks and met her there. One of my favorite memories of our friendship is sitting out on that sunrise deck, with the sounds of the day just beginning, the water at our feet, drinking strong percolator coffee from our big mugs and munching on the dozens of pecan tassies left over from the party. I'll never taste another one without smelling lake air.

• 4 weeks later...

We have been to the cabin three times since I last reported, and right now, I report on the third of the three trips.

The Art of Northern MN Blueberry Picking

First, you pick the right day, and know that the day after will probably be better. You want a day that is cool, overcast and breezy (think bugs and heat).

But, first, you choose the blueberry hill. We have had a few over the course of the years, and let me tell you, Google Earth sure makes it easier. You can look easily for granite ridges that have areas that have fairly recently been logged off. And know the area and whether you will be able to drive to them within a reasonable distance.

Blueberry hills here have a tendency to become unproductive after a few years, and, more important, become inaccessible because the plants grow and you just can't get there.

So, two years ago, we realized that our hill wasn't meeting our needs, so we targeted a new place, which we visited last year, and filled the bill. We could get close enough by vehicle, the site was lovely (if I'd taken my camera, you'd have seen an unbelievable vista from the top of the hill), so we returned this year.

But, first, the gear. You need sturdy shoes. My in-laws gave all of the kids these many years ago, and I count them among the most precious of gifts I have ever received:

gallery_6263_35_17031.jpg

Paul insists on long pants, but I have these fab Columbia shorts with nice deep pockets that will hold a bottle of water and one of bug spray (we are partial to Ultrathon).

The other essential is a 5-quart ice cream pail per person. They are the right size, the right width, and have handles.

Oh, and a hat. I am partial to my Duluth Pack baseball-style cap. As you exit the vehicle that has brought you as close to The Spot as possible, spray every part of you with bug spray, except your hands (I actually take along a pair of gloves. Spray the cap, neck, legs, back, etc., etc. You want me to be a poster child for bug spray.)

Head up the hill.

Fortunately this year, it was just Paul and I. Kids can berry pick, but they quickly tire of it, and just want to go to the car and play, or (worse) stay with you and whine.

Paul and I are happiest when we are close enough that we can call to each other and hear the other person respond, but, for us, it's a nice time to spend time alone but with another person.

But, back to the picking. First off, you stop at the first plant you see. Then you walk around, and start looking for more lucrative places. You want a place where you can occasionally sit in the shade, and literally scrape handfuls of berries off in one fell swoop. Make sure that the spot in which you place your bucket is fairly level so that you don't lose all of your take with one brush of the hand.

Pick cleanly. You don't want twigs, leaves or green berries into the mix. And, I'm so restrained that I don't eat my first berry until we call it quits and get back to the car.

Then, you crank up the A/C in the vehicle, each drink a bottle of water, head to the cabin, grab a cold beer, shimmy into the bathing suit, and head to the lake before starting on the pie!

The berries. In 45 minutes, Paul and I had picked 4 quarts:

gallery_6263_35_10336.jpg

Two hours after my languishing in the lake, we had a pie in the fridge:

gallery_6263_35_108478.jpg

(Trust me, the crust was brown. I was wet and dripping and didn't feel like fiddling with the camera).

Edited to add: These are small berries, about half the size of those in those plastic containers at the market. There is a pop of the skin, and a silky interior, with a ton a flavour. A bit of sugar, a hint of lemon, and WOW!

We picked on my 51th birthday. I can't imagine a better way to spend a birthday. And, the girls had a good time and a good swim at the cabin while we were doing The Deed.

Edited by snowangel (log)

As I alluded to in the the previous post, we are just back from the cabin. Our previous trips have been with Peter and Heidi, and since Peter is at camp, and Diana is home from being a counselor at said camp, it was just the four of us. No friends. Just us. To celebrate a birthday.

We left home on Friday morning. Stops included a gas station (on the way out of town), a liquor store ( :biggrin: ), Gordy's in Cloquet.

Since I can't seem to eat much and sit in a car any more, I opted for a raspberry shake. The girls shared an order of fish and chips, and Paul had a California burger and a coke.

Next stop: F & D Meats in Virginia. We got brats (regular) and Jalapeno (I think these are my fav sausages in the state). No bacon.

Since we didn't get bacon at F & D (their's is so thick cut it cooks like smoked pork, not bacon), we stopped at Zup's in Cook to get bacon and all of the other stuff I forgot :hmmm: ). Zup's has what I think is the best Up North bacon around, although their slicing is somewhat irregular, and I am rather picky about how my bacon is sliced.

So, for the meals, after the swims, we had brats and Sweet Corn ( :wub: ) on Friday night. Saturday morning, before we picked berries, we had bacon and waffles (no photos since I have taken way more photos of bacon and waffles than anyone should be subject to).

The girls were on their own for lunch, but, when Paul and I got back from berry picking, we laid into this for lunch:

gallery_6263_35_82361.jpg

This stuff was very good. Whitefish is very oily. But, I do prefer what Russ Kendall does with salmon or cisco's. I'd buy it again it since Russ's place involves a trip to the North Shore of Lake Superior.

I chose not to nap on my birthday, but pick a birthday bouquet. Can anyone guess what flowers//flora are in the bouquet?

gallery_6263_35_70482.jpg

And, are any of these edible?

For the birthday dinner, we had a beautiful salad of baby greens, feta, spiced pecans and blueberries (surprise), and chuck eye steaks:

gallery_6263_35_44177.jpg

Next morning, scrambled eggs and blueberry muffins, which were very popular:

gallery_6263_35_62981.jpg

(As a side note, I filled the muffin cups with liners the night before. This is what greeted me the next morning:

gallery_6263_35_21070.jpg

Lunches were as normal -- sandwiches, leftovers, etc., etc. Somerwhere along the line, I made potato salad, and for breakfast today (our Leaving Day), we had the last of the blueberry pie). Other occupants of the fridge -- which are long gone -- incluce pita and hummus, a wedge of brie, some bananas, and the first of my Bloody Butchers (which were To Die For).

Finally, this morning, Paul and I went fishing. We came home with a Walleye and a sunny:

gallery_6263_35_59149.jpg

gallery_6263_35_75499.jpg

We had them for dinner tonight.

Edited to correct photos and to add this one, from the gas station in Orr, MN:

gallery_6263_35_11902.jpg

And the fact that we spend a boat-load of time playing cards, doing crosswords, napping, and ust flat being. The best part of the cabin is just hanging loose, napping, swimming, walking to the point, talking politics with our future voter, reading.

Susan, happy birthday!

Your blueberry sortie is very impressive: the aerial survey, the uniform, the equipment and, of course, the results. We have our spots on the farm that vary year to year. They're all along an established path or railroad track so its never that tricky to get in and get out.

In your vase I see daisies, Queen Anne's lace, some ferns, possibly angelica and what the hell wild mustard. I've had candied angelica - very nice.

What do you do with a sunfish? I've caught them (unintentionally) my whole life while fishing for other species. Catch and release is usually easy because of those tiny Pumpkinseed mouths, but I've never taken one home. Something tells me I've been missing out . . .

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Susan, happy birthday!

In your vase I see daisies, Queen Anne's lace, some ferns, possibly angelica and what the hell wild mustard. I've had candied angelica - very nice.

What do you do with a sunfish? I've caught them (unintentionally) my whole life while fishing for other species. Catch and release is usually easy because of those tiny Pumpkinseed mouths, but I've never taken one home. Something tells me I've been missing out . . .

You are right on the daisies and ferns. Front and center is "pearly everlasting" (these dry very nicely and look good for months). The stuff that looks like Queen Ann's Lace and wild mustard are actually yarrows.

Sunfish. Assuming they are of respectable size, the best thing to do is gut them, cut the heads and fins off and fry them up. Should you choose to filet them, you'll end up with barely a morsel, but the sunfish is firm enough of flesh that once cooked, the flesh peels off the bones easily (no Y bones like the northern). Oh, do scale them first. Do not skin them. I really love sunnies. The walleye was good, but the flesh is not as firm. I'd like to get a mess of them this coming weekend up there and try frying them and applying some sort of hot and spicy Thai sauce.

Happy birthday, Susan! I'm glad you were able to spend it at The Cabin.

You didn't mention common tansy in that bouquet, but it sure looks like there's some in there.

Your green beetle in the muffin liner is one of my summer mysteries. Those little guys are brilliant emerald green jewels with legs - truly lovely - and they're ubiquitous in this part of the world. They don't bite. They don't invade our food. I don't know what they do except look pretty. Do you know any more about them than that?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Happy belated B-day! I have been checking this thread religiously in hopes of seeing an update. The b-berries are magnificent, love the boots, and there can be not be too many shots of waffles and bacon (plus EG lost alot of your earlier shots during the server change...) Looking forward to more vicarious cabin moments.

Remember: 51 is the new 45. Happy Birthday, Susan -- I'm glad you celebrated at the Cabin.

In the woods and Skunk's Misery in the Mauricie in Quebec, I picked bushels of blueberries. I remember a day when I was tennish and my Grandmother and I set off with a bushel basket. Five hours later it was full, and the pies and muffins from that bushel live on in memory as the best in my life. They almost made up for my sunburn and bug bites.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I can't think of a more pleasant way to spend any birthday---family all together and outdoors, bringing home such wonderful bounty, and having such a marvel of a pie ready to eat so quickly.

With prospect of a moonlight swim---(I hope you're out there right this minute) WHAT A DAY!!

More wishes for even more happy,

rachel

Wow what I nice thread! I am surprized it did not cought my eyes before!

Re sunfish: my partner and I love bluegills, sunfish and rock bass... not only are they the perfect size for a serving, they are also deliciously sweet on the BBQ. Since these fishes are far from being overfished in most places, they are also guilt free.

With prospect of a moonlight swim

We head north again tomorrow. As a sign of us aging parents, we are going because of work conflicts, and the fact that my best friend's son, who has loved the cabin as much as we have, heads to college (UWM -- think Mad Town) soon, so it is an ideal time to go up. Plus, the water is really great.

But, back to The Art of the Midnight Swim.

First, it needs to be dark, and if there is a good moon, or is not cloudy, it is even better.

Second, fortify with a munchie and a cocktail.

Grab a pareo and strip to one's skivvies (or further), grab a flashlight (if the moon does not provide enough light). Lay in the water, sculling (yes, I did take a synchronized swimming class in college) and feel the water. The water, late at night, seems to have greater viscosity, feeling positively silky.

Climb up on the deck, barely dry off with said pareo, eat a piece of fruit or make a s'more, and crawl in bed cool, with hair that feels beyond silky, and ever so cool.

It's all about the senses. The tastes of the food, the feel of the air and water seem so heightened up North. And, August at the cabin is the best time. The biting bugs are "somewhat" minimal, the type of dragonflies and butterflies/moths have changed.

I'm so lucky!

Edited to add: The most perfect munchie is room temp brie on a freshly baked take-and-bake baguette (no comments about the latter, please; we are not up there to bake, but to consume) or leftover Nicoise.

Tell about sculling---is it just back-floating, dreamy enough to sleep right there? I float. I seem to have come equipped with my own personal...um...life preserver, as it were, and could just float off to dry land should my craft ever capsize.

I can feel and see the black, silky water, and the emerging with the silvery sheets and drops cascading from your body, with all the senses lulled into relaxation, but the tastes of the chocolate and the cheese so come alive that they're even MORE of their wonderfulness than anywhere else. And you eat the Nicoise with your fingers, of course.