• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best bread in austin?

zephyrus

who produces the best bread in austin? central market? some bakery i wish i knew about? bread alone? i personally have not a clue but would love to hear what others think, so i can go try it :biggrin:

thanks,

casey

Excellent question.

I buy my bread at CM, but am also interested in this.

Also - I like the bolillos at Fiesta.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

All round favorite breads comes from Upper Crust Bakery at 45th and Burnet Rd. But they don't do sourdough: funnily enough, the two guys who run the bakery, shop at Central Market for their sourdough bread needs!

Whole Foods has an amazing loaf called Seeduction Loaf: it's full of seeds and stuff and has a wonderful texture and flavor. It's very earthy.

Central Market does artisanal breads quite well....the ciabatta is always good, as are the breakfast breads. Their challah is good, too.

Nobody does baguettes well in this town. I think it must be the humidity.

Casey,

I haven't felt like shelling out the extra bucks for it lately, but my vote goes to Whole Foods bakery. While I love Central Market's breads -- especially the burgundy walnut -- I think Whole Foods are better.

Still haven't tried Upper Crust, but I've heard good things.

I think there is a dearth of good bakeries in Austin.

Central Market and Bread Alone on South Lamar are my favorite places for bread. What I would do for a true Italian bread bakery.....

For cakes and pies, Upper Crust and Ann’s Piece of cake are very good. Ann’s is located on Spicewood and 183, hidden in the back corner of a non-descript strip mall. They sell the most decadent and luscious chocolate cake. Damn, I really want a piece now.

I am not a big fan of Sweetish Hill.

While the CM I frequent is in Houston rather than Austin, their 9 grain loaf is to die for. Toasted, with softened butter....

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard

Stop Family Violence