• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

D'artagnan products in northern jersey

i'm getting tired of going to Whole Foods for duck leg confit, just to find that they're not carrying it "this week." i'm getting tired of seeing d'artagnan products at a bunch of places, and not committing to memory where those places are for future reference. i'm pissed at d'artagnan for not having a list of retailers on their website so i don't have to call every shop in my county looking for duck leg confit when i need it, only to be met with a person on the other end of the phone saying "WHHHAAAAA?!????".

so, i want to start a list. i admit that i'm using this thread as a personal database, as i'm too lazy to start one in a Word document.

sooo...

Whole Foods in Ridgewood: has them sometimes.

Goffle Poultry in Ridgewood: has them most of the time.

i'll add to this list as i discover more.

also, any place that offers duck leg confit from producers other than d'artagnan should be added as well, as i don't care who shrink wraps the stuff...i just *want* it when i need it.

not finding any fucked up my whole dinner tonite. glad i got that off my chest.

...and if double 0 suggests that i make them myself, i'm going to slap him silly. :biggrin:

Edited by tommy (log)

Gee Tommy, I can understand your angst. Have spent a lot of time in the mountains of France chomping down some fine duck leg confit. Used to stay in a place right next to a store that, seemed to me only sold confit. Or perhaps that's all my eyes saw.

Gee Tommy, I can understand your angst.  Have spent a lot of time in the mountains of France chomping down some fine duck leg confit.  Used to stay in a place right next to a store that, seemed to me only sold confit.  Or perhaps that's  all my eyes saw.

it really is one of the best things on the planet. in fact, during my first trip to paris, i spent about 3 meals eating it, as i fell in love with it. :biggrin:

What I'm sayin' is that Food Emporium as a chain carries the full D'Artagnan line. But I wasn't at the Food Emporium in Fort Lee today. I'll drive out and check for you tomorrow, if you like.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'll drive out and check for you tomorrow, if you like.

yes please. drop off 4 duck legs at my house, as i'll be very keen on making that duck salad that i've been craving for ever since seeing this month's Gourmet, or whatever it was. pick up 6 if you'll be staying for dinner. and bring wine as i'm not running a frickin' soup kitchen over here.

best regards,

tommy

A little OT, but what about making your own?Its a very simple technique. The legs keep for 6-8 months sobmerged in duck fat in the freezer. Pm me if you're interested in making some.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

We'd be happy to come for dinner and bring lots of wine (Jason just bought half a case of Argyle champagne he fell in love with during New Year's a FG's a couple years ago) but I don't know where to get the confit. Sorry. Somehow I think an American French-style wine would be appropriate with American French-style food.

the nice lady at d'artagnan tells me that the following usually have their products:

Pathmark

Shoprite

A&P

Wegmans (doesn't help me in northern jersey)

She also noted my suggestion of having a list of retailers on the website as she thought it was a "great idea." hopefully they'll at the very least add a list of chains that generally carry their products.

A little OT, but what about making your own?Its a very simple technique.  The legs keep for 6-8 months sobmerged in duck fat in the freezer.

Hear hear! Of course you should make your own if you use them so often. Buying the legs would cost you half of what you pay for the confit. Every good chef's cook book will give you the technique.

Ruth Friedman

A little OT, but what about making your own?Its a very simple technique.  The legs keep for 6-8 months sobmerged in duck fat in the freezer. Pm me if you're interested in making some.

:raz: may i have your best recipe, please?

Food Emporium is A&P. So are Waldbaum's, Super Foodmart, Super Fresh, Farmer Jack, Kohl's, Sav-A-Center, Dominion, Ultra Food & Drug, Food Basics and The Barn Markets.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

A little OT, but what about making your own?Its a very simple technique.  The legs keep for 6-8 months sobmerged in duck fat in the freezer.

Hear hear! Of course you should make your own if you use them so often. Buying the legs would cost you half of what you pay for the confit. Every good chef's cook book will give you the technique.

Buy the whole birds and have the butcher break them down for you (save the skin for rendering and the bones for stock). The breasts freeze well also. On a rainy Sunday you can make enough confit along with duck demi glass, rendered duck fat, and cracklings :wub: to last a year. It really doesn't take much effort, you just need a good stove that has burners that goes very low.

Edited by Double 0 (log)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Or gp girectly to D'artagnan's store and stock up. They freeze well.

Or gp girectly to D'artagnan's store and stock up. They freeze well.

I've done this. They're right in Newark and I'd imagine you pay less at their warehouse than you do at a supermarket, but I haven't done a comparison. All you need to do is call in your order and tell them when you'll be by to pick it up.

All you need to do is call in your order and tell them when you'll be by to pick it up.

i don't plan to "be by" a newark warehouse in the near future.

for the sake of argument, let's say that i don't want to make them, and i'm not going to. m'kay?