• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cook's Illustrated tops magazine list

kpurvis

Some pretty good selections. But when it comes to columnists, the list is off. Fat Guy doesn't get picked at Elle. Denby gets picked at New Yorker instead of Lane. Still, better than I expected. I was pleasantly surprised to see Q and Mojo on the list.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Let me get this straight, Wooden Boat is number 6, and National Geographic is number 39? :blink:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Also, this is a ranking based on magazines found on the coffee tables of journalists--perhaps not the most inspired bunch of people in the world--or honest. It may simply be that when asked what magazines they read and like, they gave answers that they felt put them in the best light.

If the Economist was actually read by all the people who say they read it, its circulation would be in the high millions, not the low hundred thousands...

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

The measure of a magazine is how well it covers its chosen field, and in that regard, Cook's is a gem, notable both for the quality of its recipes, for its testing of kitchen gadgets and for the obsessiveness of its recipe testing... Even if you're not a foodie, this magazine's tart, skeptical prose is well worth reading, and its product reviews are as trustworthy as can be, given its exhaustive testing and the fact that it doesn't take any ads

Jeez, for me Cook's doesn't even rate in the top food magazines... Why? Because it's dull. Boring. Tedious. Regardless of the actual author, every article has the same voice, the same approach, the same predictable results. It's eerie how similar they all are. And who picks the subjects they tackle? The best tuna salad? The best nachos? Come on -- are they serious?

Oh, and I hate Christopher Kimball's smarmy little essays.

Plus, with the exception of their macaroni and cheese recipe (which they usurped from John Thorne -- with attribution), I've never been crazy about any of their recipes. (Although I did get a great tip from Cook's for pressing/rolling out pizza dough on parchment paper.)

Okay, so their product reviews are reliable, but so are the ones in Fine Cooking, which is head and shoulders above Cooks.

And, yes, I realize that many people here like it, but I'm sorry. It's boring.

Okay, so their product reviews are reliable, but so are the ones in Fine Cooking, which is head and shoulders above Cooks.

I'm intrigued as to why there are 7 issues per year. This seems different from the norm. Is there 1 special issue?

Because it's dull. Boring. Tedious. Regardless of the actual author, every article has the same voice, the same approach, the same predictable results.

These words can also be used to describe the Chicago Tribune :laugh:

Jeez, for me Cook's doesn't even rate in the top food magazines... Why? Because it's dull. Boring. Tedious. Regardless of the actual author, every article has the same voice, the same approach, the same predictable results. It's eerie how similar they all are. And who picks the subjects they tackle? The best tuna salad? The best nachos? Come on -- are they serious?

Oh, and I hate Christopher Kimball's smarmy little essays.

Plus, with the exception of their macaroni and cheese recipe (which they usurped from John Thorne -- with attribution), I've never been crazy about any of their recipes. (Although I did get a great tip from Cook's for pressing/rolling out pizza dough on parchment paper.)

couldn't agree more--ditto all your points. I was astounded to see this picked as number one.

I'm intrigued as to why there are 7 issues per year. This seems different from the norm. Is there 1 special issue?

You're forgetting the annual Cooks Illustrated Swimsuit issue..

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

:smile: Right, but Cook's only does 6 issues. It's Fine Cooking that does 7.

:smile: Right, but Cook's only does 6 issues.  It's Fine Cooking that does 7.

Fine Cooking publishes every other month (as does CI) but for the past couple of years has added a special holiday baking issue. That's the 7th.

:smile: Right, but Cook's only does 6 issues.  It's Fine Cooking that does 7.

Fine Cooking publishes every other month (as does CI) but for the past couple of years has added a special holiday baking issue. That's the 7th.

Thanks for filling me in.

Let me get this straight, Wooden Boat is number 6, and National Geographic is number 39?

You would think with all the nude pics in National Geographic it would at least make the Top 20...

Word.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Couldn't agree more with JAZ. The Best recipe? That's like saying "Best excerise. Period." or "best body type."

Anway, I do agree with the authors of this list that Vanity Fair has gone down hill. I noticed 2 years ago and let my subscription die out.

People magazine? Now, that's subjective.

lobster.gif

Oh yeah, that was an awesome issue!