• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Immersion Blenders

Marlene

I have a big old corded KitchenAid which is still going strong so I'm not in the market but I that Breville would be my pick.  

Mine also has the little whisk attachment and I love it for whipping a single egg white or making whipped cream for one dessert serving with barely 1/4 cup of cream.  

Yes, I know those things can easily be done by hand but hey, what are toys for?

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'd glady exchange my Breville 16 cup Pro for the one you linked to.

You have the Breville Pro 16 cup and don't like it?

I just put one in my  cart!

25 minutes ago, lindag said:

I should have elaborated.  I had a mini Kitchenaid that had a reversable slicing/shredding blade.  I loved that thing but when the work bowl broke I was unable to find a replacement.  My husband talked me into the 16 cup pro.  I do not like the size of it as I find it much too big for my needs.  I since purchased a 7-cup Cuisinart which does me just fine.  If you do a lot of shredding, slicing etc. you will love the Pro.  It is a fantastic machine and works flawlessly.  Life is strange sometimes.  A couple of years ago this building had one of those events where you bring down to the entertainment room stuff you no longer get needed.  If you liked something, you would donate whatever sum of money you thought appropriate.  The money and whatever was left over was donated to charity.  Well, if a mini KA food processor wasn't donated!  I now have a working mini!:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

@ElsieD, my Breville All in One gets used daily.  The small bowl acts like a mini FP.  

You would probably love the All in One.   Especially , because there is no heavy base to lift.   And all of the attachments work great. 

And the immersion blender motor is strong enough for just about everything, including as I found out today to knead bread dough. 

But, I'm glad that I did buy the 16 Cup Pro.   Even if I never used it for anything else,  I will continue to use it for the initial mix for bread dough.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, palo said:

On Amazon the most common negative comment for the Breville All in One is that the potato masher blade breaks - anyone had that happen?

p

No, but I have used the potato mashing attachment only once.  Granted the blade is plastic.  I can hardly imagine a problem unless you enjoy mashing cinderblocks or raw potatoes.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Ann_T when you store your All In One parts on the base, where do you put the whisk?

@JoNorvelleWalker,  Well, the way everything is suppose to be stored is with the slicing blade under the bowl, and the main blade and the shredding blade in the bowl with the

lid on.   The potato masher, the motor and the blender standing up in the allot spots and the whisk lays down between the shoot and gear box on the lid. 

I choose to keep the shredding blade and the potato masher in a separate place and just store the whisk in the spot where the potato masher is suppose to go.  

Being lazy, I don't want to have to remove the shredder blade every time I want to use the FP. 

334920522_BrevilleMinibowforimmersionblender.thumb.jpg.655430b59247530b772c15b4f76c3c76.jpg

You might also want to get the mini bowl with lid. I use this one often when making bread crumbs or grating up parmesan cheese.  

I have found most of their parts/accessories, not to badly priced. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, lindag said:

@lindag, keep it.   I'm loving mine.  I just mixed up two 700g  batches of dough in 40 seconds each and I was at the end of a 

44lb bag of flour with just enough left for a 377g batch , all at 63%. Will still do a few stretch and folds before leaving for work.

I didn't think I would care about the digital timer.  Can't imagine setting a time to process.  But, I like the fact that it counts the seconds as

I'm processing the bread dough.  You don't want to go past 30 to 40 seconds or the dough heats up quickly.  

The Breville handled 700g of flour with ease, the machine didn't even shake, and also handled the smaller amount without issues.  

It is heavy.  But that is a good thing.  And it is easy to clean. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

The Breville handled 700g of flour with ease, the machine didn't even shake, and also handled the smaller amount without issues.  

It is heavy.  But that is a good thing.  And it is easy to clean. 

Do you use the dough blade for this?

8 minutes ago, lindag said:

Do you use the dough blade for this?

I used the dough blade the other day, but today I used the regular metal blade.   Both work, but I like the metal blade better.

But I believe it heats up quicker.   

And ignore my WHY. I misread your "enable". 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@JoNorvelleWalker,  Well, the way everything is suppose to be stored is with the slicing blade under the bowl, and the main blade and the shredding blade in the bowl with the

lid on.   The potato masher, the motor and the blender standing up in the allot spots and the whisk lays down between the shoot and gear box on the lid. 

I choose to keep the shredding blade and the potato masher in a separate place and just store the whisk in the spot where the potato masher is suppose to go.  

Being lazy, I don't want to have to remove the shredder blade every time I want to use the FP. 

334920522_BrevilleMinibowforimmersionblender.thumb.jpg.655430b59247530b772c15b4f76c3c76.jpg

You might also want to get the mini bowl with lid. I use this one often when making bread crumbs or grating up parmesan cheese.  

I have found most of their parts/accessories, not to badly priced. 

I already moved the shredding disc to the overflow storage area for my Cuisinart discs, of which I have about eleven.  I don't anticipate much use for the shredding disc.  I didn't expect much use for the potato masher either but I am still surprised how well it works.

The bigger question is where to store the unit.  I have a dedicated place in the bedroom for the motor.  The rest of the parts I've been moving between the dining room table and the bed, depending if I'm sleeping.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, I have space for the All in One accessories in a cupboard that I store, a few other small appliances.

My issue is figuring out where to store the storage container for the Breville 16 Cup.  

My big Cuisinart lives in the bedroom, and mostly stays there as I don't feel like lifting it.  The Cuisinart parts are all over:  some are in the kitchen, some are in the dining room.  The citrus juicing attachment is on a bedroom closet shelf.  I haven't seen the whipping attachment for a while.

The only thing I've dragged the Cuisinart out for since banishing it from the counter where my Ninja CREAMi now sits is making pasta dough.  My hope is the new Breville will suffice for that.

On 10/15/2022 at 8:06 AM, Ann_T said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, I've only sliced hard salami on it, not fresh sausage.  But a dried chorizo should be okay.  I did slice a leftover steak on it as well.

At the time I bought mine I was also in the market for a new immersion blender and that is how I ended up with the All in One. 

Funny, I had never tried the mashed potato attachment until recently.  I found that after the accident using the potato ricer was uncomfortable so I tried the masher.  It is quick and easy. 

I tend to put my potatoes back in the pot when I drain them and let them dry a bit on the burner before

adding butter and cream or milk, and I mash right in the pot so I haven't found that they get cold. 

The little bowl is great for chopping larger quantities of garlic, or making bread crumbs and grating up parmesan cheese.  

I cracked the small bowl once so I ordered a replacement and while i was at it I backed up a few other parts just in case.  Their prices for accessories I found to be reasonable. 

I haven't tried mixing a dough using the All in One.  Will be interested in your experience. 

I found some dried out soppressata in the back of the refrigerator.  The Breville All In One sliced it perfectly on thickness setting 1.  I was amazed, and continue to be stupefied by what this little device can do.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Help!

I employed the Breville tonight for mashed potatoes.  Potatoes were fine.  Problem is I cannot disassemble the mashing leg.  The instruction book was not much use.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Thanks.  I had forgotten the blade had a reverse thread.  This afternoon I couldn't get the gearbox back on (possibly due to overnight-hardened mashed potatoes).  What worked were round nose pliers.  All seems good.  And there are leftover mashed potatoes.

I picked up the Breville BSB510XL Control Grip Immersion Blender.  It worked really well for a while, and then it died.  Which made me quite sad, because it has a very comfortable grip and it has like 10 levels of speed settings.

I ended up moving into the prosumer/commercial realm and picked up a Bamix instead.  It's a bit of a pain to clean, and it only has two speeds, but boy is it reliable.  [They have a few models, and a few attachments for frothing vs mixing, etc.]

Bamix G200 Gastro Pro-2 Professional Immersion Hand Blender  (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I'm a big Breville fan (and use a Control Freak for most of my cooking).  Maybe I just got a bad unit, or maybe most consumer electronics are just designed to last "until the warranty expires, and a bit longer."  I really don't know.  Your results may and probably will vary.

afs

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, afs said:

I picked up the Breville BSB510XL Control Grip Immersion Blender.  It worked really well for a while, and then it died.  Which made me quite sad, because it has a very comfortable grip and it has like 10 levels of speed settings.

I ended up moving into the prosumer/commercial realm and picked up a Bamix instead.  It's a bit of a pain to clean, and it only has two speeds, but boy is it reliable.  [They have a few models, and a few attachments for frothing vs mixing, etc.]

Bamix G200 Gastro Pro-2 Professional Immersion Hand Blender  (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I'm a big Breville fan (and use a Control Freak for most of my cooking).  Maybe I just got a bad unit, or maybe most consumer electronics are just designed to last "until the warranty expires, and a bit longer."  I really don't know.  Your results may and probably will vary.

afs

I did almost no research when I bought my Bamix. I totally love how simple it is. We've had it for a year, mostly for mashed potatoes and things or for creamed soups. My husband seems to think it's very fun and has never found it hard to clean. Rarely does our  blender make an appearance. When I read about the Breville my eyes glaze over. For better or worse I gravitate toward appliances with fewer functions rather than more. Talk about hard to clean: a standard blender.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I did almost no research when I bought my Bamix. I totally love how simple it is. We've had it for a year, mostly for mashed potatoes and things or for creamed soups. My husband seems to think it's very fun and has never found it hard to clean. Rarely does our  blender make an appearance. When I read about the Breville my eyes glaze over. For better or worse I gravitate toward appliances with fewer functions rather than more. Talk about hard to clean: a standard blender.

I'm totally with you on the whole cleaning thing.  For cleaning my blender, I ended my frustration by buying a Blendtec Stealth.  Usually all I have to do to clean it is put a little soap and water in the blender jar and then "blend" the water for a few seconds and rinse.  In worst-case scenario (i.e. peanut butter) I just clean the thing like I would an open-top water jug.  Still...not as quick as cleaning an immersion blender :)

On the topic of immersion blenders, someone mentioned the Robot Coupe MicroMix a few pages back.  I love Robot Coupe's slicers, and I had no idea they made an immersion blender.  And it has a detachable wand, the one thing I wish my Bamix had--plus it looks like it has a bunch of speed options like the Breville.  Unfortunately it also has the price of a nice Bamix :(

Has anyone used the MicroMix immersion blender by any chance?  I'm really tempted to put it on my wish list for 2023, but I have no idea if Robot Coupe does as good of a job with their immersion blenders as they do with some of their other equipment.