• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parisienne Potatos

Marlene

Tomorrow I'm cooking for a crowd. It's staff appreciation day for the teachers and we are putting on lunch snacks and stuff for them tomorrow. I'm making a roast pork, which I will cook at the school since I have to be there all day anyway. I would normally put roast potatoes around the roast, but that won't be enough for people, so I was thinking about those small parisienne potatoes.

Anyone got a good recipe for these?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Here ya go!

Thanks! My stove top access may or may not be limited. Can I do these in an oven?

Marlene

Are you sure you want to do those for a crowd? Larousse Gastronomique © 1961 says they're made like Noisette potatoes -- balls the size of large hazelnuts cut out of whole potatoes with a melon-baller, then fried in butter until golden -- only smaller, tossed with veal glace after cooking, and sprinkled with parsley. Escoffier says pretty much the same.

Are you sure you want to do those for a crowd?  Larousse Gastronomique © 1961 says they're made like Noisette potatoes -- balls the size of large hazelnuts cut out of whole potatoes with a melon-baller, then fried in butter until golden -- only smaller, tossed with veal glace after cooking, and sprinkled with parsley.  Escoffier says pretty much the same.

The potatoes can be bought already balled. They are small enough that I can cook lots of them. I was thinking of something along the lines of butter, garlic EVOO and roasting them in one of those large tin foil roasters. No? Will this not work?

Marlene

Ah, well in that case, sure why not? You will have to give the baking pan a good shake from time to time or stir them occasionally, so the potatoes brown evenly and don't stick. Should work fine. Then just sprinkle with the minced parsley before plating or after putting in the chafer (if it's to be buffet service).

Although to be obnoxious, you can't really call them "a la parisienne" then, since they won't be made the "classic" (= Escoffier) way. :shock: Not with garlic, sans meat glaze, and roasted instead of fried. But I answer myself: so what? :biggrin:

Ah, well in that case, sure why not?  You will have to give the baking pan a good shake from time to time or stir them occasionally, so the potatoes brown evenly and don't stick.  Should work fine.  Then just sprinkle with the minced parsley before plating or after putting in the chafer (if it's to be buffet service).

Although to be obnoxious, you can't really call them "a la parisienne" then, since they won't be made the "classic" (= Escoffier) way.  :shock:  Not with garlic, sans meat glaze, and roasted instead of fried.  But I answer myself: so what?  :biggrin:

I suppose you're right. I just didn't know what else to call them. I suppose I could have said, you know, those little round potato thingys :biggrin:

Pixelchef's recipe looks great though. It's going on my list to try at home :smile:

Marlene

Hey, I could start a whole new trend!

(where's Jaymes when I need her :unsure: )

Marlene

So here's what I did. bought the small round potato thingys and threw them into a roasting pan with garlic butter and EVOO. Sprinkled a little parsley over top and roasted at 325 for 1 1/2 hours. Not true Pariesiene Potatoes true, but they were good!

Marlene

Marlene, I'm glad it turned out well.

I was wondering about those formed potatoes. I've walked past them but never picked them up. Was there anything on the package to indicate how discolouration is prevented?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

So, pixelchef, how are they not discoloured?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Actually, I got them at Bruno's a specialty store here in Oakville, but yes, I have seen them at Loblaws. At Brunos, they vacumn seal them so there is no discolouration!

Marlene

Hmm. Vacuum sealing would probably do it.

Do they do them at Bruno's? Is it their own instore brand?

If so, that must be better than the Big Melon Baller Machine thingee that does the Loblaws version.

... how are they not discoloured?

I just got off the phone with the company that supplies Bruno's and was informed that the preservative used is Sodium Metabisulfite.

Brian

Hm.

Synonyms: Pyrosulfurous acid, disodium salt; Sodium Pyrosulfite; Disodium Salt Pyrosulfurous Acid; Sodium disulfite; Disodium disulfite; Disulfurous acid, disodium salt, Na2O5S2.

Commonly used for postharvest decay control. A sanitizer, antioxidant, and bactericide.

Thanks, Hickory.

... how are they not discoloured?

I just got off the phone with the company that supplies Bruno's and was informed that the preservative used is Sodium Metabisulfite.

Brian

Maybe that's true for some of their stuff, but I've watched them do these potatoes in front of me. They are fresh, and then vacumn sealed.

Marlene