• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smokin' meat

MatthewB

Butchering is in my family too and my grandparents are still alive. Unfortunately it was my great grandparents who did the butchering in their Polish grocery store in Detroit. They used to have chickens in the back yard and you could select the one you wanted and g'grandmama would stalk it down, clean it, dress it and you'd have your fresh chicken in the blink of an eye. If you wanted kielbasa for Easter you had to order 3 months in advance!

• 1 month later...

I've got pork down and am going to try smoking a brisket this weekend. Last time I did a brisket, I ended up with too high a temperature in the smoker and too short a time in the smoker as a result and the brisket was not tender enough for my tastes. Accordingly, I have the following questions for the meat guys:

1. Do I brine a brisket?

2. How long and at what temperature? I was thinking about 12-16 hours at 200 if I can maintain it that low (I have an offset firebox smoker that is kind of temperaturemental (new word I just created)

3. How long do I want it to rest before I serve it?

I've got pork down and am going to try smoking a brisket this weekend.  Last time I did a brisket, I ended up with too high a temperature in the smoker and too short a time in the smoker as a result and the brisket was not tender enough for my tastes.  Accordingly, I have the following questions for the meat guys:

1.  Do I brine a brisket?

2.  How long and at what temperature?  I was thinking about 12-16 hours at 200 if I can maintain it that low (I have an offset firebox smoker that is kind of temperaturemental (new word I just created)

3.  How long do I want it to rest before I serve it?

Dave, not to avoid your specific questions, but . . .

Have you checked here under the "Beef" section? There's a whole lot of good info on beef briskets & smoking.

Of course, reply back if I've improperly deflected your questions. :smile:

Dave, not to avoid your specific questions, but . . .

Have you checked here under the "Beef" section? There's a whole lot of good info on beef briskets & smoking.

Of course, reply back if I've improperly deflected your questions. :smile:

1.  Do I brine a brisket?

2.  How long and at what temperature?  I was thinking about 12-16 hours at 200 if I can maintain it that low (I have an offset firebox smoker that is kind of temperaturemental (new word I just created)

3.  How long do I want it to rest before I serve it?

1) You can. If you do it properly it's called corned beef brisket and it smokes up quite nicely. When I'm smoking regular beef brisket, 24 hours before I start smoking I throw on a dry rub. If you have access to decently priced bulk spices, I suggest that you make your own blend. Most commercial dry rubs are way overpriced. If you'd like an idea for you own, check the eGRA.

2) Depends. Are you smoking a whole brisket from a cryovac? If so, smoking the whole thing (without trimming, don't trim!!!) will take 12 to 14 hours at around 200 to 225. If you have the time and inclination to do so, by all means go ahead. Personally I like to cut the brisket into thirds so you have the flat (trimest), the middle (nice streaks of fat) and the heel (very fatty, the best part). When you smok the brisket in thirds, it only needs 6 hours. If you only have the trimed flat, then no more than four hours and mop the heck out of it. A trimmed flat has hardly any fat (i.e. basting power) and dries out very quickly.

3) I let mine rest about 15 to 20 minutes. It's not like a roast that's been in high heat where the meat has been shocked and you want the juices to be absorbed.

As far as temperature control goes, if it falls below 200 that's fine, just as long as it doesn't go below 120. And don't worry about quickly getting the temp back up, let it take it's natural course so you don't overcorrect. If the temp gets too high, just open the top of the smoking chamber and close off the air intake to the side firebox until the fire dies down. Good luck and enjoy a tasty beverage.

So I broke down and ordered a WSM from amazon a few weeks ago. It showed up last week when it was 100 degrees out, but that didn't stop me from smoking this chicken in it the day it arrived:

chicken.jpg

Damn was that chicken good. Over the weekend I smoked a chuck roll, it came out fairly dry but I suspect that is because I trimmed it. Next time I'll plan ahead and find a brisket rather than buying whatever I could find at the last minute at safeway and no more trimming. I took pictures of the whole process and posted them here. Again I'd like to thank all of the eGulleters who have caused me to purchase yet another gadget in the pursuit of better food. :biggrin:

That's a good lookin' chicken you have there melkor, but why did you split it down the breast? When I split a bird to flatten it out, I go down the back so that the breast bone is still between the breasts. Bones heat up more slowly than meat which means in this case that the breast will take longer to cook and the legs are more likely to be fully cooked when the breast is done.

As for your beef, what temperature was the chuck roll when you pulled it off? Unlike brisket, chuck roll doesn't have the collagen and the fat that a brisket does. It's more for roating which means it's better if it's pulled at something like 130 to 140, aka medium rare.

I just wanted to sneak in here and give my thanks to everyone who steered me towards the WSM as well. I purchased it for my husband as a birthday gift. He's used it almost every night that he's been able to, since receiving it. Of course, he is still in the process of getting used to the way it works. We've had some hits, and some misses. But the hits are good.

As he is pretty anti-internet, I print out discussions like this, and leave them tucked casually about the house. :wink: The smoker is awesome, and I think I love it almost as much as he does. Thanks all.

As a funny aside, he went to the airport the other day to pick up his brother. As he was standing in the terminal waiting, a woman was walking by him, whirled around, and stopped. "What cologne are you wearing?" she gasped.

"BBQ," he answered proudly. :wub:

That's a good lookin' chicken you have there melkor, but why did you split it down the breast? When I split a bird to flatten it out, I go down the back so that the breast bone is still between the breasts. Bones heat up more slowly than meat which means in this case that the breast will take longer to cook and the legs are more likely to be fully cooked when the breast is done.

As for your beef, what temperature was the chuck roll when you pulled it off? Unlike brisket, chuck roll doesn't have the collagen and the fat that a brisket does. It's more for roating which means it's better if it's pulled at something like 130 to 140, aka medium rare.

I didn't split it down the breast, I roasted the backbone and trimmings in a pan on the rack under the chicken and then made gravy with it and the drippings. Though that photo sure looks like the bird is split on the wrong side... I could just me be losing my mind :hmmm:

Thanks for the advice. The brisket was phenomenal. I smoked at 225 or so for about 12 hours (pulled it off when internal temperature hit 175. Let it sit before slicing. Served it with rice and beans (pintos with green chile) and some briefly sauteed garlicy spinach. All were happy.

Pictures

Nekkid brisket

fbbc8261.jpg

Rubbed brisket (after overnight in fridge)

fbbc825e.jpg

Finished

fbbc825b.jpg

Cut Open

fbbc8255.jpg